Posts by MrPanda

Vox Luminis recorded motets by Bach's ancestors.... It's on Spotify now... https://open.spotify.com/album/5nblsnONcJH70EqQHjjPnl   Very recommended!  Gorgeous recording also.  The last track is sensational...
Really glad you went for the Beyers!  I'll be joining you listening to some Beethoven on mine right now.  Also the new motets by the Bach family (by Vox Luminis)....
See?  I told you the Beyers were great!   There isn't much difference in the sound, but the 32 ohm will be easier to drive with just a phone.  I have the 80 ohm version which is all-around terrific....
I've had the Beyers for years, and really have nothing bad to say about them, other than the fact they don't have a detachable cable.  I really don't see the bass as a problem with them, more as a kind of asset.  The texture of solo cello, for example, is just downright excellent.  If they lack anything, it's soundstage, but that's generally true for any closed design.
There's a sort of consensus that Beyer is a brand you should definitely check out.  They make a variety of headphones, all good, with some key differences between them.  Here in PA/NJ they're pretty easy to check out because Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc, carry them.  I wonder if someone familiar with their similarities and differences could do a quick comparison.
Beyer DT770-80 AKG Q701
There's a 32 ohm version of the DT770 also that's made for use with portable equipment.  There are two higher impedance models out there that would benefit from amping.  I usually use the DT770-80 with a FiiO E17.   DT660 has a different headband - looks like it might be more rugged if you need something more portable.  From what I've heard the lower impedance Beyers don't sound that much different than there higher-resistance siblings, although the impedance influences...
I don't think there's too much bass at all in the DT770's, in fact, they excel at cello, organ, and have enough detail to resolve a complex string section. DT770-80 is a popular studio headphone, and can often be had for a very reasonable price.  They're a wonderful headphone, and very well-built and reliable, with good isolation. They're my 'hide in the office and get some work done' phone, but they're also excellent for serious listening.  They have more bass extension...
They're not the fastest or most articulate headphones, but I think the Beyer 770 80 ohms could be a good choice.  They're easy to listen to, comfortable, isolate well, and sound great on all kinds of music.  I'm mostly a classical listener myself.
I'd go for the lower end Sennheisers also