or Connect

Posts by jdpark

I know this doesn't help, but I think you're going to have smooth articulate sounding bass with the dac-19, but the speed and slam of the bass is greatly influenced by the amp you put between the dac and the cans, IMO.
Well, I do like my DT150s, but I am looking for something that could compliment them for larger-scale instrumental works and with recordings that I find a bit sluggish and thick at times with the DT150s. It sounds like the K501s are really coherent in the mids and great with vocal and classical stuff. Actually, tonally, I like the DT150s, but sometimes I feel the bass boost is unnecessary for certain types of music and would like something to compliment them that is a bit...
Has anyone ever listened to the AKG K501 to compare to these? I realize the low end is probably very different, as is the soundstage I'd imagine, but a lot of people praise them for vocals and acoustic instruments, even above the HD600, for classical especially. Some say the K501 has no low end, but then, they apparently do mids and highs better than the K7XX series according to other reviews.   Although I listen to a ton of genres, I primarily focus on classical, world,...
Just a throwback to a previous conversation re: the Chord USB SilverPlus seeming to add a bit of speed and sheen to the highs that I don't love. In fact, since I already own the AQVOX linear power supply, I wanted to do a subjective A/B test again now that my DAC-19 is more or less burned in (around 200 hours of play and 500+ hours of being on).   I think the AQVOX does help a bit. I'm getting a richer sound with more articulate bass and smoother highs. But the...
Wow, I never thought about that. I don't think my computer has an optical out, though, and I also don't know how the DAC-19 specifically processes the optical input, and if it's 'better' per se, then the USB input with an Amanero 384 Combo, which is supposed to be really good.    Also, mainly because I'm using a desktop, I'm not sure if I can use a really short Toslink cable. It would have to be at least two or three feet (.5-1 meter) minimum. I'm stroking my imaginary...
I'm not sure if I can agree that USB cables do zero when they're well constructed, unless you mean that good USB cables interfere a little as possible in the process of getting 1s and 0s to the Dac. I think most people who have tried multiple types cables on most sensitive systems (granted not all) would say there are differences between cables, both in absolute terms and in subjective terms. (Putting flame-proof jacket on, now)   What I'm still skeptical about is when I...
Thank you Solude!    I was getting carried away there. Literally reading reviews of RCA vs. BNC digital inputs... Actually I have the Amanero Combo 384, and I think it sounds great. But partly because I'm not as experienced as some, and partly because the audiophiliac universe tends to make you always question your situation, unless you spend a zillion bucks, I have felt that maybe my noisy computer is providing a bad stream of noise into the dac that could somehow be...
Actually I have only read through the reviews on the rega r-dac. It seems to be aiming at a bassier, more 'analogue' sound. But it's using wolfson chips, which are sigma-delta, and so is a very different dac in some ways. Without comparing side by side I don't think I'm qualified to say if the dac-19 is better. I suspect that it is, but stick with facts not my hypothesis. Separately, I was looking into the hiface 2 USB/spfif converter and reading very positive reviews...
In the end this like all other questions at a certain point becomes relatively subjective. I've got them hooked up to about $2500+ worth of equipment in a desktop setup, and there is an incredible improvement over my iphone 4. Still, can I enjoy them from an iphone? Yeah, of course.   Personally, these cans have offered me noticeable improvements with cable upgrades, power chords, dacs, amps, etc. Some cans reach an upper limit pretty quick, but these don't. I'm sure one...
I got the Amanero installed in my D-19 (10th) from the start, so I can't compare to what used to be the stock option. It sounds very good to me, but so far I haven't been able to compare it to the SPDIF input to see if that sounds better.    I was just reading through some debates over at Computer Audio (CA) forum regarding the whole debate about computer-> USB vs. CD transport --> optical input DAC, and while some swear that CD transport to DAC or just a phenomenal CD...