or Connect

Posts by jdpark

In some ways I wish we had a more old fashioned approach to travelling, say, by imagining that every flight was really a boat trip. You buy a one way ticket. You go. You decide if you want to hang around at your destination for a few days, a few weeks, or a few months, and then you get a one way ticket home. All of this round trip stuff, where every hour is planned out is too fast-paced for me. When do you get to enjoy life?   By the way, when I'm travelling, I don't...
I also like Lute a lot. Have a great Harmoni Mundi album by Paul O'Dette doing Kaspberger's work. A little bit repetitive at times, but very well done. Like Nigel North's work, too, and of course Hopkinson Smith's Bach Lute works are great.  For guitar, I like what I've heard of Takemitsu's work, and wish there were more of his guitar albums readily available in stores in the West. There is also a lot of interesting work for guitar by 20th century composers in general,...
Is is just me, or are there relatively few good guitar recordings being produced these days? It seems like every shop I go into in the best case scenario, there's a disc or two by Segovia, Julian Bream, John Williams, and/or David Russell. Beyond that, nothing.    Also, the repertoire is limited to a few Spanish Baroque composers, Bach, and well, that's it.    I recently got William Carter's 2010 recording of Sor's early works on Linn. It's interesting, in that he...
This is a question that is probably quite a bit beyond my technical knowledge, but from my reading and practice, the DAC-19 will perform better if you have a good transport and reasonably good BNC cable, or if you have a good SPDIF transport/master-clock plus BNC cable. You can use a regular RCA digital cable as well, but then you have to make sure it's of a higher quality. In other words, both the cable and the source can introduce sound and/or timing errors (i.e.,...
I'm pretty sure the Dac-19 can be turned off, and probably doesn't take that long to warm up. That said, I generally give it an hour, and only turn off when I know I won't be listening for more than 24 hours in a row. I have no idea what it costs to run my gear, but I tend to leave it on most of the time with the hope that I'll actually get a couple of hours to sit and listen. (Happens rarely these days.)
Hopefully everything will work out. I've read that Jordan Hall is a cool venue for chamber music. I may be stupid for not going to Symphony Hall, but their tickets are really expensive, and there's so much free or cheap stuff going on in the week I'm going to be in Boston.I'll report back. 
Trying to decide if $75 and possible stress getting to a flight is worth it to see the Emerson Quartet in Boston next month. The money and possible stress aside, has anyone seen Emerson lately? Seem to be the most famous, if not necessarily the absolute best American quartet that I know of.    Looks to be their standard fare, which nevertheless, isn't a bad thing:   MOZART: Quartet in D minor, K.421  SHOSTAKOVICH: Quartet No. 10 in A-flat  Major, Opus 118  RAVEL:...
Reading his story helps make a lot more sense of his playing. It's as if he's taking out his latent aggression against his father at each performance. The absence of a present mother also fits. Sad.  I don't dislike him because of his nationality. Far from it. But I don't really care for his playing, unless I'm in the mood to listen to a monstrous spectacle. Granted I've never actually purchased an album and listened closely, but what I've seen on YouTube is enough. 
Enjoying the three disc set by Les Vents Francais with Eric Le Sage. An array of neo-classical and classical quintets and sextets that are refreshing, well-recorded, and sound particularly fantastic on my AKG K501s which seem to be designed specifically for wind instruments.    Surprisingly, these great albums are coming from Warner Classics: http://www.warnerclassics.com/release/4674696,0825646231850/-les-vents-francais-winds-and-piano
I've just figured out that these cans actually sound best with zero gain on my BCL Linear, but the knob turned up to 3 o'clock or so. For a long time I thought they needed high gain and low volume to sound best, but then realized that I was getting a bit of harshness and also a weird tingle in my right ear. I think this is a much better option.    I don't fully understand the whole gain issue, but I have found that weirdly these cans don't need a lot of gain, but they do...