Posts by jdpark

In that budget range, people have mentioned the Bravo V2, as well as the Little Dot +, (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Dot-6JI-standard-Headphone/dp/B00A2QM5O6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=12GQYWN92B6FAD5DEC8C) as good starter hybrid tube amps. They would probably give a bit more juice to the mids, and be good for music, though not necessarily the best for movies/games.   I don't know if the Schiit Magni is the best, most people don't love it with the Beyers because...
I would think that if the Starlight 7 USB makes a change/difference in the sound for the DAC you'll need to get two of them, one from PC to Wyrd and one from Wyrd to DAC in order to maintain the sound.    I have found after a couple weeks of listening that the Chord SilverPlus USB cable is a significant change/improvement over the stock monoprice USB cable I got with my HRT HD Streamer.    I would note, however, that I had a weird noise in my Beyerdynamic Dt990s coming...
Replying to myself, here, but now I have to update my impressions. I'm using a really good entry-level audiophile headphone amp here (considering buying it, but borrowing for the weekend), the solid state Lehmann audio Rhinelander, and wow, much more realistic mids than the Schiit Magni, to my ears.  I'm also getting a much better soundstage, with instrument separation, and better timing in the mids and highs. The harshness of the highs is less pronounced, but all the...
Yes, it seems that the Dt990 pros are good with music that involves a lot of elements, and with low bass-oriented tracks and electronic music, but I'm not satisfied with the acoustic sound. Violins in chamber music sound thin and tinny with my set-up, even compared to my Grado 80s, which also have a lot of treble energy. It's not that these phones hurt my ears, but that the treble and mids are out of balance, with the mids taking a hit, particularly in the upper ranges...
I have the Magni and the DT 990 Pros and find this combo to be a bit too bright, and at the same time the bass is way too bloated for most acoustic music.   I have a really good source, btw, that adds considerable energy in the upper and lower ranges, the HRT HD Streamer. And I'm using a SilverPlus USB cable, which further increases the detail and energy in the treble area.     The truth is that when I go back to my original love, the Grado SR80 headphones, the warm...
It looks like a cool product.  As an owner of and HRT HD, I do notice high frequency energy, which is highly audible an extremely distracting in my Beyer 990s.  I've checked and it's not my Schiit Magni making the noise, even though I know it's not completely black silent, either.     I've been looking into getting an iUSB power supply for a while, and this is half the price.  Unfortunately I live in Israel, where we have 220v, and this Decrapifier only comes in 125v...
I have the weird problem of finding an amp that works at least more or less well with both the Sure 425 and the Beyerdynamic 990 Pros.  The Magni is amazing because it can drive both with ease.  Actually with the Beyers I get a strange electronic feedback sound that is only audible when no music is playing, but that's beside the point.   I have noticed (I'm a genius, right?) that surprise, surprise, the 425 iems sound much better with a better DAC.  So now that I've...
In Foobar it says, IMA ADPCM.  I'm not sure what type of compression this is.
I'm going to jump in here, and sort of raise a comment/question.     I've just been ripping several high quality (i.e., well recorded 16/44) CDs from Harmonia Mundi Italy, and found that on Exact Audio Copy, my compressed rips, which I think are still in WAV, are noticeably distorted on high tone vocals and complex passages.  So I re-ripped now in uncompressed WAV format and there's absolutely no noticeable distortion.  In fact the same songs sound fantastic through my...
I think I should clarify, that I think a good amp will do great things for these phones, but in order to get the 100% out of them, you have to make sure you don't under-source them.     I just traded in my HRT Music Streamer II for an HD, and it's really amazing what can be done to the soundstage, rhythm and tone across the board.  Highs are much less of a problem with this DAC, especially when I play high rez music.