Posts by jdpark

Yeah, the more I listen with my vintage Onkyo amp, the more I realize these cans need a bit of current behind them to shine. Surprisingly my particular model from the mid-1970s has a good headphone out with just a bit of analogue fuzz. The bass and mids are really full and sweet though, and the highs are really clear and detailed with out being harsh in any way--almost as if these phones were made of mohogany.    They don't gel that well with the (authentic) Lehmann BCL...
Yeah, the more I listen to the DT-150 on different set-ups the more I love these cans. To be honest, I would probably not go for another closed can as an upgrade, as great as the ZMF sounds. I would prefer something that had a bigger soundstage and maybe a tiny bit more air in the highs, mainly for classical music. Thus, if going for dynamic, I would go for the T1 or the HD800 (assuming I had the money for it, and for something like the DZ)...     Actually, I think the...
Having a look at Tyll's measurements. They seem to show that the phone is darker than I actually feel in some ways, maybe because they sound so clear in the mids and highs. Also, I am kind of sensitive to loud treble at times. I'm currently listening through a solid state vintage receiver and although I can't listen quietly, (the lowest volume is rather loud) the bass and mids really roar to life compared to the Lehmann BCL amp I have. I guess they like gain, and some...
I know this thread has been dead for a while, but it raises interesting points which may or may not be easy to find elsewhere.   I think DACs are different, but the technical differences of the computing side seem rather subtle to me, versus the standard differences that come from things hi-fiers know are important: power, sound isolation, and preventing distortions along the way.    So really, a lot of the differences between dacs, in my opinion, seem to come from the...
This might be a silly question, but has anyone compared the DT150 to the HD700/HD800? I find that it depends on the amp, source, and recording, but the DT150 often has a very tall and sometimes very deep and wide soundstage, but rarely a full frontal 180 degree speaker-like soundstage I have read about with the HD700/800.   I did some holophonic-binaural listening and while the DT150 was very impressive (I know this isn't the same thing as regular stereo soundstage), it...
Thanks Tyll, I'm eagerly looking forward to the measurements. They will no doubt confirm some of my suspicions and probably be a bit surprising at the same time. 
Wow, it's amazing that no one really had a good recommendation for an upgrade (which is what I interpret 'improvement' to mean here).    I'm using the DT150 on pretty good gear, and wondering if I could get more realistic timbre and bass texture like with Grados and slightly warmer, more liquidy mids as well.   I have the Linear Black Cube and HRT HD with external power supply (Audiovox). They produce a very clear, fast, and detailed sound, with slightly warm highs and...
Haven't tried them with the Beyer amps, but I've been using them with the Lehmann amps (both Rhinelander, and now the Linear) and they sound great. I imagine there are some similarities between these brands, as they're both German, SS - Solid State, don't kill me ;) and tend to be tested with, alas, German headphones. Maybe try the Rhinelander if you're in that market. It's good, but you need a quiet source. The Linear processes the heck out of the sound, so even if your...
 That graph looks amazing, and shows why I don't really like the DT990 pros very much. Any idea on where to get original pads, or what they're called in terms of how to search for them. Looking for original pads on Ebay doesn't really give me the results I would like. Thanks
That's a good question, I think the HRT HD is very good, giving you quite a bit more precision over the Music Streamer II standard. The mids could be a bit thick and congested with the MSII, whereas the spacing is much better with the HD, and you get quite a bit better extension in the highs and lows with the HD. I think especially if you already have the Wyrd, it's a good option. Also, I might be crazy, but I think the ASIO filter used with the USB 2.0 software that comes...