or Connect

Posts by jdpark

Enjoying the Complete Edvard Grieg Music with Orchestra featuring the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra and Neeme Jarvi on DG. Eight discs, I think mostly recorded in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Beautiful libretto included with four languages. Being a huge fan of Sibelius, obviously I keep thinking of the Finn here and there when listening to Grieg, the Norweigian who died a half century before Sibelius did. In many ways Grieg really shows how the Austro-German styles of...
I see I'm not the only Beliber around here    I also had a Schutz phase, and highly respect and for the most part like his work. A great book on the history of Baroque music, Schutz is called a genius on the level of Bach. He used almost every major stylistic technique and emotional effect of the time in his work. Definitely a bridge between Germanic and Italian styles. His Psalms are amazing, and deserve serious listening. I think I personally get overwhelmed listening...
When you guys decide to take a break from the piano, I recommend a great Biber/Schmeler album played by the Freiburger Barockorchester on Deutche Harmonia Mundi (c1995). A real gem. Not dreadfully heavy like some of the other Biber stuff I've heard, which of course can always fit a particular mood. I think I may actually have most of the stuff Biber wrote that has been recorded, in at least one version, come to think of it. This album peaked my interest and I can say it...
Just check out that topic on Hydrogen audio. It seems that it's not straight-forward at all how one gets rid of pre-emphasis, since different labels did it differently, and moreover, the methods for removing it often compromise the accuracy of the rip. Then adjusting in the analogue stage afterwards if you can't deal with it in the ripping stage also poses its own problems, particularly if you try to send your files to the dac as bit-perfect images. I don't fully...
As for pre-emphasis removal:     As for listening to normal CDs from the 21st century ...   I just got the latest Sokolov double album on DG, and yessss, it has some great Shubert, Beethoven and Rameau. I am working through it slowly, piece by piece, and so far the opening Shubert 4 impromptus are fantastic. http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/4795426? 
I can see that. On the other hand, the over-use of the pedals for non-romantic music is one of the things that can irk a purist.    I'm listening to a-mid 1980s set of Paul Badura Skoda playing some late Mozart Sonatas on a Fortepiano now, and while at times the upper ranges are just a bit sharper than I would like, it is really an interesting way to hear Mozart. The music does make a lot of sense this way. Somehow, it almost makes the music sound a bit too mellow when...
 I don't see any Ravel in his Discography on All Music, http://www.allmusic.com/artist/grigory-sokolov-mn0002214879/discography Is that mainly stuff he only plays live? Has anyone got the Salzburg Recitals? The Telegraph raved about it.
For me, I don't think you need a 'complementary' headphone per se, but rather a good set of open cans, and perhaps a good set of IEMs, and then you can chose which to listen to based on your background noise options. Outside, or with noise around, I tend to use my Sure 425s a lot, even though I'm tempted to go up to the 846, if/when I have the dough and a better portable source. DT150s are great with my particular amp at home, and at the office where I usually have the...
Definitely made me drool ^^ Now listening to an oldie but Goldie, the Harp of Ludovico played by Andrew Lawrence-King on Helios. Highly recommended Baroque Italian harp.
Just got Andras Schiff with Miklos Perenyi complete Beethoven violin and cello recordings with ECM New Series (from 2004).    So far, I've listened in the car and on the home stereo, and am planning to hook up the headphone system soon. Sound quality is amazing, as expected. Playing is very good with a good balance in sound volume and spacing between the cello and piano, and the music is of course amazing. Not very good adjectives, but hopefully I'll be able to say more...