or Connect

Posts by jdpark

It's not mysticism. Any high-end CD player is going to dedicate equal, if not more attention to the source (i.e. the transport) as to the DAC, even when the DAC is the master, and reclocks the data. This is basic knowledge. I always love how much faith computer people have in the ability of any computer to be able to do sound well without really thinking about how many things can go wrong in the 'transport' of data to the DAC.  I agree that jitter is a sort of spooky word...
Have you ever taken a walk outside? Did you smell something? Did you see some stuff? Did you hear some birds, perhaps multiple kinds? Did you ever wonder where the birds were, or were they more or less always in the place you expected them to be? If there were a bunch of birds, were you able to pretty much hear all of them simultaneously? If the answers so far are pretty much 'yes', then your brain is computing quite a lot more than any computer that most of us own. Quite...
If it's a brand new laptop, or if you just installed Windows 10, perhaps you need to update your drivers in general, but I've never had a problem, once I installed the Amanero combo drivers, which were recognized by most of my programs. Are you using Foobar2000, JRiver, or some other software to play your music?
I just cancelled my subscription to Classics Online HD*LL. Quite possibly the most simple, fast, and straightforward cancellation for a service I've ever done. Kudos for that. Also, I think many of you would find much to be appreciated in the catalog. Personally, there were just too many things I couldn't find, but moreover, I still haven't managed to get streaming from the internet to sound as good as a real CD. I've tried a number of methods for improving streaming and...
I'm not exactly sure why, as I'm not a computer engineer, and the computer engineers I've listened to generally don't seem to fully understand either... but there is quite a huge variation between sources when fed into the the DAC-19 (okay, really any dac).** Presently, I have an old Lenovo Thinkpad Edge with Windows 10 using Foobar2000, and a Jplay driver, which employs Kernal Streaming and some other stuff I don't understand, typically along with the program Fidelizer...
Enjoying this now. Thought it would be good background for some work, but despite it's minimalist score, I find it too mezmerizing for work.  
That's great. It made me look up a Buxtehude vid I saw a while back. This is the prequel (historically and visually):    
Yep, after nearly a year with the Dac-19 10th anniversary/Amanero Combo I'm still enjoying it. That said, I have two nagging issues left to conquer specifically with respect to the DAC (since external factors such as amp, headphones/speaker, and RCA interconnects are not directly related):   A) I'm still curious what it would be like with a really high end transport as source into the coax, versus the USB... But I may never know, unless I fork out some dough for such a...
I know this is from a while back, but while yes Grieg and Sibelius were different, I feel it is a relatively objective fact that Grieg influenced Sibelius...quite heavily. It is subjective to say one reminds of the other, but if you listen to the full Op. 23 (Peer Gynt) of Grieg, particularly movement 8, and then listen to something like Sibelius' Op. 44, Walz Triste, all of a sudden you can hear that some of Sibelius' most brilliant work was directly inspired by the...
Does anyone here have a favorite streaming service? I'm trying out "Classics Online," which seems pretty good if you're just into Classical. Obviously it doesn't have a lot of stuff, but what it does have is almost any work of music within the huge genre that you can think of. It might not have more than a couple of versions for some works, and it does seem to lack some of the more prestigious labels at times, yet I'm impressed with their growing list of high-rez stuff....