or Connect

Posts by jdpark

This will brighten your day.   .  
Thanks for that. I suppose if I could afford the 009 Stax I would probably use them for classical too    Lately, I've been getting into some older recordings, and realize that not all the changes in the big picture of the classical music industry are positive. While we have more high quality recordings than ever, the performances themselves are often lacking a sense of the grandiosity of classical music performed back when people listened to classical music mainly...
When you get it, can you give your impressions, with a comparison? I'm particularly curious as to what you think. I just got new pads for the HD650 and found that the bass was more textured and punchier. I mainly listen to classical these days with some jazz, and other acoustic-oriented world music, and find the HD650 sounds very realistic, but if the HD600 sounds even more natural, I might be tempted to get a pair, as well.   (I realize there are tons of comparisons out...
Have any of you heard the Roel Dieltiens recording of Une Larme by Rossini on Harmonia Mundi? One of my personal favorites.    http://www.allmusic.com/album/rossini-une-larme-duo-serenata-sonata-a-quattro-mw0001849879
Enjoing this recording of Beethoven Concerto No. 3, but not on this album (The Truth of Beethoven, Helicon set). Am curious how the Mozart Concerto No. 22 sounds. Anyone heard this album?   
I wasn't a huge fan of the 1.0 when I auditioned them, mainly because of the mid-bass boost. Probably tons of reviews on Amazon for the 2.0, since they're super popular. 
I'd love to hear the Karajan all-star Triple, either way. But it seems that Richter later came out against it, and some of the critics condemned it as being somehow a bad recording.   Probably it has to do with a certain amount of hubris that hit the industry at the height of the era where 'regular' people in the street knew big named musicians and composers. The idea that if you put them in the room, they'll talk, apparently isn't an invention of John Kerry. It's was...
Had a major struggle to get some new pads via a local dealer. Expensive, and basically a pain in the rear to deal with a brick-and-mortar store that told me they could have them in the next day, as long as I pre-paid. Then eventually 13 days later, I got my pads. I haven't put them on yet, but I hope someone can justify my purchase. Do new pads help, at all? My current pads are pretty worn out, and the inner foam is worn through and transparent now. I'm hoping there is...
Schiff is great, and the recording is superb, but GG is too idiosyncratic to be dethroned. More like a neighboring throne in a different kingdom. I'll have to check out the Richter.  Going through the 17-disc set "The Truth of Beethoven" that apparently only came out in Israel (probably for copyright reasons). This is a typical disc:David Oistrakh and Lev Oborin doing Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 9 in A-major "Kreutzer" (1956, TESTAMENT/EMI) sounds quite good considering...
Dang, Wilhelm Kempff's 1956 DG recording of the Moonlight Sonata (#14) really hits you in the gut.