or Connect

Posts by jdpark

I know this is from a while back, but while yes Grieg and Sibelius were different, I feel it is a relatively objective fact that Grieg influenced Sibelius...quite heavily. It is subjective to say one reminds of the other, but if you listen to the full Op. 23 (Peer Gynt) of Grieg, particularly movement 8, and then listen to something like Sibelius' Op. 44, Walz Triste, all of a sudden you can hear that some of Sibelius' most brilliant work was directly inspired by the...
Does anyone here have a favorite streaming service? I'm trying out "Classics Online," which seems pretty good if you're just into Classical. Obviously it doesn't have a lot of stuff, but what it does have is almost any work of music within the huge genre that you can think of. It might not have more than a couple of versions for some works, and it does seem to lack some of the more prestigious labels at times, yet I'm impressed with their growing list of high-rez stuff....
That's an interesting point about the channel matching, which is one reason why the imaging on the K501 is so good. Also, compared to the HD650, which I have, they have less bass quantity, but actually seem a little bit faster, which makes them still pretty good with acoustic jazz. The K501 however, is generally not as good with contemporary pop music as the HD650, because they do tend to show signs of distortion in the deep bass area with electronic-infused music...
True, but Sure IEMs are not earbuds, and cannot be compared to any earbuds I know of. Actually, I've liked the 425 series for so long that I've been very tempted to find a grand for the 846, which has a huge following around here. It's a different experience to get into IEMs, but they can really be the only serious option in many circumstances where you can't get rid of outside noise. If you live in a loud city like I do, they can really help you escape. I think the main...
Those are great specs, and reflect what we've suspected for a while, that these offer a great all-around sound virtually flat from 80-4000 and with a slight dip in the sibilant area of 4000-6000, followed by a slight boost from 6000-8000 and a gentle roll off until about 11,000.  There does seem to be fairly high THD relative to some on the market, but perhaps that is what gives them a bit of added "warmth" overall. I suppose Tyll would have written about them if they were...
Enjoying the Complete Edvard Grieg Music with Orchestra featuring the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra and Neeme Jarvi on DG. Eight discs, I think mostly recorded in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Beautiful libretto included with four languages. Being a huge fan of Sibelius, obviously I keep thinking of the Finn here and there when listening to Grieg, the Norweigian who died a half century before Sibelius did. In many ways Grieg really shows how the Austro-German styles of...
I see I'm not the only Beliber around here    I also had a Schutz phase, and highly respect and for the most part like his work. A great book on the history of Baroque music, Schutz is called a genius on the level of Bach. He used almost every major stylistic technique and emotional effect of the time in his work. Definitely a bridge between Germanic and Italian styles. His Psalms are amazing, and deserve serious listening. I think I personally get overwhelmed listening...
When you guys decide to take a break from the piano, I recommend a great Biber/Schmeler album played by the Freiburger Barockorchester on Deutche Harmonia Mundi (c1995). A real gem. Not dreadfully heavy like some of the other Biber stuff I've heard, which of course can always fit a particular mood. I think I may actually have most of the stuff Biber wrote that has been recorded, in at least one version, come to think of it. This album peaked my interest and I can say it...
Just check out that topic on Hydrogen audio. It seems that it's not straight-forward at all how one gets rid of pre-emphasis, since different labels did it differently, and moreover, the methods for removing it often compromise the accuracy of the rip. Then adjusting in the analogue stage afterwards if you can't deal with it in the ripping stage also poses its own problems, particularly if you try to send your files to the dac as bit-perfect images. I don't fully...
As for pre-emphasis removal:     As for listening to normal CDs from the 21st century ...   I just got the latest Sokolov double album on DG, and yessss, it has some great Shubert, Beethoven and Rameau. I am working through it slowly, piece by piece, and so far the opening Shubert 4 impromptus are fantastic. http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/4795426?