or Connect

Posts by icebear

Maybe a little too low scale compared to what you have already listened too but how about a Marantz SA11s3?Don't ask me about specific technical details ... I just love to listen to music with it. I can listen for 3hrs with my HD800 (classic, no mods) and no fatigue.I'm old school i.e. physical medium, not files. I play CD's and SACD's but of course you can also connect a computer to the SA11 and use it as a DAC. There is also a DAC only version of this, in case you don't...
 Slightly off topic in ref to your racing experience:https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/porsche-panamera-nuerburgring-nordschleife-record-2016-12683.html Great post and I concur with your experience of the live event being the benchmark of reproduction.Living the NYC metro area I visit concert (Jazz & classic) on a regular basis and e.g. I have seen (and listened to) Janine Jansen performing Prokofiev's violin sonata in Zankel Hall (Carnegie Hall's smaller basement...
OK, then it was "first date only" impressions, not even honeymoon.
There is obviously some serious honeymooning effect going on with folks who just shelled out 4 grand for a headphone which looks like a race car body - oh yeah carbon fiber looks at that. They have to justify that expense. If you can and want to afford that, congrats!   I would be a little hesitant to jump on anything in the first weeks of release. If you read between the lines and consider the value of the HD800 and good amp vs a headphone alone for 4 grand that doesn't...
Have you ever connected a ground cable to a speaker or just L+/L-  and R+/R- ? A headphone is just a small speaker, same thing. There is no ground connection on the transducer. Balanced in regards to headphones just decribes the separate L- and R- returns opposed to a "common ground" i.e. L-& R- on the same wire or into the same connector plug. No one would connect speakers with a common return wire...
 There was Tyll's wall of fame and now it TEN's* wall of fame, everybody should add a grain of salt, or two to anything being hyped now(*The Enthusiast Network) And if I liked the HD800 / 800S for my personal musical preference before, does it make ANY difference, if it on or off the wall? ... see picture above.
 I never double blind tested any audio equipment (other stuff, so I am familiar with the method) and I have arrived at a set-up I am very happy with and I don't plan to change anything. In about 30 years I have gone through 3 amps, 3 pairs of loudspeakers, 4 CD players and 1 DAC. And 3 headphones, 1 headphone amp. So I don't change my equipment on a daily bases.What is ultimately relevant is that the piece of equipment gives you more pleasure to listen for hours to your...
Hi there,see, my recommendation not to get a HD800 in the first place, when the preferred music is heavymetal and rock seems to make sense does it?Everybody is free to mod and use EQ and pair the HD800 with tube amps to tweak the frequency response to their taste, nothing wrong with that journey, just that kind of music simply sounds more fun with other headphones right out of the box and with a lot less of financial expenses. But hey it's not my money
Great write up bosiemoncrieff This is the way all reviews should be written: A specific mention of a recording and how certain equipment reproduces a particular passage in the performance. A lot of reviews on the web nowadays don't mention the music at ALL ... Only unspecific blurr and bs like "phenomenal bass" and "oh so sweet upper mids" and "highs without glare". Give me the name of the recording, name that instrument which sounds like the real thing live and...
What's you favorite headphone when you listen to your preferred rock music?