Posts by icebear

Technics will have a pretty tough time convincing any customer to shell out 40k Eur , i.e. approx. 52,800 USD. The brand (so is Sony) is just associated with mass market consumer electronics, the do not have any high end appeal. Just my $0.02.
LOL, as people are not sitting in the dark all the time, I am sure they will attest that a silver one is worst in terms of sibilance issues
  The color doesn't make a difference if the underlying material is exactly the same.Housing material and shape obviously make all the difference - next to the drivers .
I am not a Wagner fan per se but that is just too good to pass on. I have no clue when I ever gonna listen to all the CDs piling up. I still haven't listen to anything of the Perahia box. Best regards from my wallet .
 Thanks for the reply. For sure the conditions at the NY spring meet were not good and I didn't start to fiddle around with the sample of the Abyss to get the fit right.  When I was in the market for a balanced HD800 cable, I also came across SAA but with 14 feet that I needed, this was way above what I wanted to spend. I went with a Norne Audio Vanquish (red sleeving) and I am absolutely happy with it. Hard wiring this, might be something I want to explore at some point...
Could you elaborate what you understand as imaging capabilities ?For me that is the ability to recreated the image of the position of the sound source, otherwise also referred to as "sound stage". I only heard the Abyss once with Woo Audio amp & DAC at the NY 2014 spring meet and I wasn't particularly impressed with the Abyss. I got the standard headphone "in the middle of my head" effect and the only can I don't get this is the HD800. Other than that the weight of the...
for Cello ... anything by Jaqueline DuPre. But listen online and check if that's no too classical for you. I guess you might prefer more "rock style classic".
  well thanks a lot. Much appreciated, the recommendations as well as the reading .I have these on my list and additionally also the Orchestral works of Bach on the same label with Jordi Savall.  Coming back to Paganini :Here an album of works "A Paganini" (i.e. style of but from different composers) which I bought after I attended a concert of Gidon Kremer in small town hall somewhere in the woods of nowhere. Obviously there was not a huge tradition of classical concerts...
I am totally happy with my e20 DAC (see avatar) but that might be hard to get at your end of the globe.It usually gets great reviews on performance but it doesn't seem to be that popular. Maybe the design of the housing is just to small and functional and with a 2k high end housing and 1/4 inch thick front plate it would be more attractive to people who value looks enough to pay extra. I can't comment yet on how it works together with the GSX MkII DACT but I'm gonna find...
Indeed Labor Day weekend in US, official "end of summer" with "end of season sale" and "back to school sale" and "waste more money sale", so everyone is busy using their credit cards .I will check out Ingrid Fliter's recordings, never heard of her before...