Posts by icebear

Have you heard an exasound e20 DAC ? Has it pierced your ear drums?  My ears are still quite OK and I also do not like piercing highs. The e20 was developed using the HD800 (that's what George told me) and in my book it sounds wonderful. I was always wondering about the complaints with the HD800 e.g. sibilance, lack of bass etc. None of that with the e20 and it does use a Sabre32 ES9018. You are not directly plugging the headphone into the chip, do you? It's about the...
First Watt M2, HD800 directly hooked up to speaker terminals via DIY dual 3 pin XLR cables
I heard the performance of Janine Jansen in Zankel Hall recently. Duo pieces for violin and piano w. Itamar Golan.   When the music calls for it, the sound can be almost piercing. I was as close as you can get not being on stage yourself   When I listen to this recording at home via the HD800 it does sound like the original sound of her instrument.    
I have a couple of Telarc recordings, classic (e.g. Mozart: Cosi fan tutte, Zauberflöte) and Jazz (Ray Brown Trio , Oscar Peterson, Tierney Sutton Band) and I do agree about the technical recording quality, however I think, I have rarely listened to any of these albums more than twice...
 The listener who's only focusing on the hammer blow and the perfect 2sec peak volume most likely is not concerned about the "one inspired go". If I was in recording something like that I would lay it on tape that I have a good S/N ratio still in the low level passages and quickly adjust the level -5db during peak levels to avoid total clipping. Going into "hot" like +3 /+4 db should be OK - analog that is . I have no technical background in recording but I have a couple...
 There are possibly cheaper options around but at the time I needed a volume adjustment option I just by chance stumbled over Luminous Audio Axiom II. It's a shunt regulator i.e. what's not needed is shunt to ground and the signal itself is not forced through the pot itself - at least that's how I understood it. I got the most basic version for less than $200 and to my ears it sounds absolutely neutral. At any level adjustment gives you just that up or down in volume but...
That's the 12khz devils mod version.
I guess for consensus the First Watts are too rare but for what it's worth the HD800 with my M2 sounds sublime. As this one is said to have some characteristic of SET amps, so it might be a little warm, maybe it pairs particularly well with the HD800. But this is speculation as I have not heard any other First Watt.   Check the "Speaker amp for headphones" or "Best amp for HD800" threads and search for First Watt. F1J seems also to work well.
That's written proof your 'phones are fake
Are you folks still unpacking or are you already listening . Share some impressions please