Posts by hisagishi

Yeah the fidelio X2 is quite a bit out of my price range at 250 bucks. The high end of my price range is 200 so the v-modas are even a stretch. Maybe I could give a list of features I want and someone could reply back with things that tick the boxes? From most important to least important: 1: Durable 1: Around ear headphones, if they sit on top of my ears I won't bother trying them. 2: Possibly detachable cable? Thats how my 990s broke, the cable started coming out so I...
So I have a broken pair of dt 990s that I used for 4 years, one speaker works still. I tried the cable mod and it went badly so now I have to shop for new headphones. My thoughts on each pick. DT 770 250Ohm: I already have a good speaker so if one goes out I can just replace it (assuming I get better at soldering) Vmoda M100: It has detachable cable already and more bass which is what I want. More bass than my 990s But I head they are uncomfortable to some people and...
I had at at 5/10, I don't really know what temp that is though. But it nearly instantly turns cold solder to molten solder at that temp. The solder wick I have acts as a heatsink so it just gets hot without heating the solder underneath it, I'll pick up a flux pen while I'm at it. Thanks for all the help though! I really appreciate it.
Alright, I'll pick up that desoldering braid and see how it plays out. I have an Aoyue 469 I got for about 35 bucks on ebay, supposedly a chinese knock off of an hakko one that accepts hakko tips. I'll pick up some chisel tips also.
Yes, I am pretty sure its a bad connection due to my soldering. I however have to wait until I get some better desolder braid or a solder sucker of some sort... My current desolder braid doesn't work at all it seems, it heats up but it doesn't heat up the solder underneath, just ends up burning my hand from holding the braid... Any recommendations for good solder wick? I just bought the cheapest stuff I could find on ebay, some good solder while you are at it would be...
Oh man for the 990s that stock wire is horrible to try and use. Its got some weird coating on it, enamel or something and it unravels way to easily.   I just tried to hook them up to see if the other speaker worked alright (it should) and I am not getting any sound at all from it. I either have it hooked up wrong or just a bad solder job. If I screwed up the wiring would it blow the other speaker out? (Like hooked ground into positive or something?)   Also, why does...
Ah, about the warranty, it was already up. I've had these 990s for about 4 years now so...   Yeah for 55 bucks I'd rather just put that towards a whole new set. Thanks for trying though   @ anyone else who reads this, TLDR of first post is:   Gaming, youtube, podcast headphones in that order. Under 200, preferably under 150 or so. Won't be listening to music or doing any competitive gaming, just single player stuff like fallout/skyrim etc.   Pref. bass heavy....
 I already cut the original cord and put a (massive) hole for the far to big connector. (oops) Would they still take it back and do the repairs on it? Honestly really regretting trying the mod now...
 Yes, I know open headphones are better but I thought the bass of the 990s to be far to light for my liking and everyone said open headphones don't have nearly the bass of closed headphones. I would have returned them if they weren't the 3rd set of headphones I went through trying to find one I liked. (corsair headset, hd 558, dt 990) Waiting weeks to get a headphone I might not like and have to return just got a bit much for me.   Burned my hand and dropped the soldering...
Oh I forgot to mention, I won't be listening to music on these. My main purpose for them will be gaming, youtube, and podcasts in that order. Also the gaming won't be competitive, mostly things like Just Cause and Fallout/Skyrim.