Posts by theequalizer

I get emailed alerts.   I found the link. It's here.   My personal preference to the parametric EQ business is a Clip zip (or plus) and rockbox firmware. It has a higher power amp than the iphone and according to the O2 designer it's hifi while also having an etymotics friendly output impedance of 0.5 , so no bass or treble issues. Accudio may have a preset that compensates for output impedance issues according to device (they all vary), but their website doesn't say....
 Those were for the HF2 so should be right for the HF5 (apart from canal resonance, of course). I am almost certain that at the time I was using the grey/large triple flange. I didn't have them buried that deep. I found that isolation seemed to  suffer and audio was (perhaps) slightly muffled when as deep as that. That maybe because I have a deviated ear canal (which Tyll Hertson also has; and whose articles alerted me to this possibility) on my right ear. I can tell this...
...I should add, that those etymotics equalisations won't be quite on the money if you are using a high output impedance source or the etymotics are using the 70ohms resistors which, for the same reason,  cause a bass hump and treble issue.   Low output impedance sources include Iphone 3 and 4 (5 is too high for their consumer range, HF2 etc), sansa clip, Fuze. Or you can correct output impedance issues and get a not-far-off-hifi amp the Fii0 E5 or E6.
 I know this is an old post, but it illustrates a couple of things that I think people need to know about otherwise the accudio app and other similar apps are going to get a bad rap for bad reasons. Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with any of these apps, I'm just an equalisation nut (see my name). A lot of headphones, including the Etymotics and the Shures, have a hump at between 2000 and 3000 Hz. That hump is based on the diffuse field theory of headphones. It results in...
 My pleasure. It would be great to hear what you think of the difference. I'm sure you'll be blown away. However, it's worth keeping in mind that these phones are very sensitive and the small amount of hiss may not be acceptable to you. If so then there are two options available to you: pay a lot for a high quality, portable amp (properly designed by measurement) like the JDSLabs C5, or cheaper get a clip+/zip or Fuze v1. Both options are basically hifi. Don't be tempted...
hmmm, just looking around. If you do have volume issues, then I would recommend the E6 over the E5 as it has another few dbs of power. The E5 only gives you an extra 5dbs which might not be enough.
Oh yes, I forgot to explain that q and bw thing. It's two different measures of the width of the affected frequencies. On the Accudio its BW (bandwidth) and on a rockboxed clip+ or Fuze it's Q.
I forgot to mention that being single driver, there are no phase issues that muddy and confuse multi-driver phones. And the equalisation basically gives you waht the multiple drivers are there to do. So apart from that low bass and soundstage, it's a winner.
I have those phones and they do need EQing alot. The driver is top notch: no distortion, perfect impulse response etc. Apart from soundstage and no 20-30Hz bass, you can't get better.   The problem is that they are designed with a particular audio theory (diffuse field vs free-field) and that requires a hump at around 3000Hz. they claim on their site that the perceived audio is flat, but it isn't. You can quite clearly hear it using a tone generator. On their graph (see...
You know you're an audiophile when you.....parametrically equalise your etymotics:   Try this for a much more neutral experience :     130Hz -3.5db q=2.8 bw=0.5 650Hz -4.5db q=2.8 bw=0.5 2900Hz -5db q=1.4 bw=1   YMMV canal resonance, grey triples: 8500Hz -8db q=4.8 bw=0.3   I prefer to add a bass lift of 40Hz 5db q=1.4 bw=1   Stock etymotics are far from neutral.