or Connect

Posts by KmanChu

I've played with this issue of ticks and pops for quite a while with both Ayre products and finally just learned to accept it. Now that I think about it, I briefly owned another Sabre and Streamlength dac (BMC PureDAC) and it also had similar behavior when switching between sample rates or to and from DSD. I figured it was just part of the USB implementation or some sort of internal switching with the dac chip. Perhaps it is specific to my computer. It would be quite odd...
I doubt you are going to get much of a satisfactory answer from Ayre. It sounds like your noises may be a bit beyond what I am accustomed to hearing, but I think it may be related to the Streamlength USB driver software they are utilizing. I had a QB-9DSD and I got similar behavior with a slight click or skip sound when the dac changed sample rates.  They may require you to send it back for evaluation if you think it is beyond what is reasonable so perhaps it could be...
Mine does it, usually nothing that makes me jump up and notice though. If yours is enough to be truely bothersome then I would check with Alex at Ayre. It shouldn't be enough to make you fear for your speakers or headphones.   It is annoying though, it should seem like there should be a little bit of mute when switching rates to eliminate those noises. In Roon or JRiver there is a resych delay which plays some silence at the beginning of a track when a sample rate...
I have a click sometimes when the sample rate switches. Does that sound right? Especially when going into or out of DSD.
Not to start a cable discussion but ...   Power cable is the cable I have the hardest time accepting could be a significant player. The power coming through your wall is basic Romex. Furthermore, the Codex is a fairly low power device. What is the thinking with power cables given that coming from the transformer, through your switchbox the power cable makes up the last 0.1% of the distance from the transformer? Does it provide some kind of filtering due to massive...
I just wrapped up my week with the HD800S loaner. Thanks to Todd for making this possible as it was very useful in my decision on whether I wanted to make a change to my listening rig. The only way to really get to know a product is to listen to it in your own home, on your own time, on your own equipment. I get to about one head-fi meet every 2 years and I find that while they are a lot of fun, it is difficult to draw useful conclusions due to the ambient noise and...
 The Aurender's USB output should be pretty superb, that is a big part of what you are paying for with it. I can't imagine any of the relatively inexpensive USB fixers like the Regen, Jitterbug, etc improving anything. I would think the Aurender probably has higher quality components than any of these cheap-ish deviecs.
I have a set of newly replaced LCD-3s. Mine were the 2014, first release of the fazor. To me the upgrade is substantial. They sound quite a bit more open and clear than before. They still sound like Audezes, but just with added clarity and better image than before. However, I have recently tried the HD800S, it is making me reconsider my allegiance to the LCD-3.
I am completing my week with the loaner HD800S. I have been testing it from the Ayre Codex and comparing against my LCD-3F (newest drivers.) To put it short, I think I will probably pull the trigger on the HD800S in the coming weeks. It is simply a better technical headphone than the LCD-3. Switching from one to the other is like lifting a veil off of the recording. The LCD-3 still has a nice smooth sound to it, but ultimately I feel like the HD800S is far closer to the...
I read that. It was a weird conclusion to me as I think running from the RCAs is significantly inferior to running the Codex balanced either by the XLRs or the headphone out. I sold my Red Wine Audio Cassabria because it was only single ended input. The codex was better direct with the balanced connection, the RWA was better (vastly better)  than using the codex direct through SE output jack. I read his conclusion, he didn't say it was better, he said it was his...