or Connect

Posts by KmanChu

Barely used, like new Senn HD800S. They are very close to perfect from what I can tell, but just to be safe I would rate it a 9/10. They sound great, but I can only justify 1 flagship headphone and so I must move this one along. Comes with orignial box and all accessories. 4-pin balanced XLR and standard SE cables included. Photos to come.
 Agreed. There is nothing even close right now. It is too bad though, they should figure out how to fix the clicking, I would think it could be done even with firmware.
Dude, you really are talking smack! The headphone outputs are coupled directly to the XLR outputs, which is why Ayre suggests unplugging the rear XLRs before listening to the headphone outs. This leads me to think the very same output devices are used for the headphone outs. Indeed, if you look the preamp voltage swing on the XLRs is the same as the headphone outs. At any rate, it is a discrete design utilizing Ayre's diamond output topology. See @austinpop 's review, he...
Can't speak to the Schiit dacs, and I do know the Hifiman does require a lot of gain, so the Codex may not quite have the voltage swing for the HE-560, but I wouldn't know since I haven't tried it with them. What I can say is with the HD800S and the LCD-3, if you are running out of volume then you are listening too loud and risking damaging your hearing. I never have gone above the low 80's on the volume dial in balance mode with either of these headphones. The only...
I've played with this issue of ticks and pops for quite a while with both Ayre products and finally just learned to accept it. Now that I think about it, I briefly owned another Sabre and Streamlength dac (BMC PureDAC) and it also had similar behavior when switching between sample rates or to and from DSD. I figured it was just part of the USB implementation or some sort of internal switching with the dac chip. Perhaps it is specific to my computer. It would be quite odd...
I doubt you are going to get much of a satisfactory answer from Ayre. It sounds like your noises may be a bit beyond what I am accustomed to hearing, but I think it may be related to the Streamlength USB driver software they are utilizing. I had a QB-9DSD and I got similar behavior with a slight click or skip sound when the dac changed sample rates.  They may require you to send it back for evaluation if you think it is beyond what is reasonable so perhaps it could be...
Mine does it, usually nothing that makes me jump up and notice though. If yours is enough to be truely bothersome then I would check with Alex at Ayre. It shouldn't be enough to make you fear for your speakers or headphones.   It is annoying though, it should seem like there should be a little bit of mute when switching rates to eliminate those noises. In Roon or JRiver there is a resych delay which plays some silence at the beginning of a track when a sample rate...
I have a click sometimes when the sample rate switches. Does that sound right? Especially when going into or out of DSD.
Not to start a cable discussion but ...   Power cable is the cable I have the hardest time accepting could be a significant player. The power coming through your wall is basic Romex. Furthermore, the Codex is a fairly low power device. What is the thinking with power cables given that coming from the transformer, through your switchbox the power cable makes up the last 0.1% of the distance from the transformer? Does it provide some kind of filtering due to massive...
I just wrapped up my week with the HD800S loaner. Thanks to Todd for making this possible as it was very useful in my decision on whether I wanted to make a change to my listening rig. The only way to really get to know a product is to listen to it in your own home, on your own time, on your own equipment. I get to about one head-fi meet every 2 years and I find that while they are a lot of fun, it is difficult to draw useful conclusions due to the ambient noise and...