or Connect

Posts by KmanChu

I just wrapped up my week with the HD800S loaner. Thanks to Todd for making this possible as it was very useful in my decision on whether I wanted to make a change to my listening rig. The only way to really get to know a product is to listen to it in your own home, on your own time, on your own equipment. I get to about one head-fi meet every 2 years and I find that while they are a lot of fun, it is difficult to draw useful conclusions due to the ambient noise and...
 The Aurender's USB output should be pretty superb, that is a big part of what you are paying for with it. I can't imagine any of the relatively inexpensive USB fixers like the Regen, Jitterbug, etc improving anything. I would think the Aurender probably has higher quality components than any of these cheap-ish deviecs.
I have a set of newly replaced LCD-3s. Mine were the 2014, first release of the fazor. To me the upgrade is substantial. They sound quite a bit more open and clear than before. They still sound like Audezes, but just with added clarity and better image than before. However, I have recently tried the HD800S, it is making me reconsider my allegiance to the LCD-3.
I am completing my week with the loaner HD800S. I have been testing it from the Ayre Codex and comparing against my LCD-3F (newest drivers.) To put it short, I think I will probably pull the trigger on the HD800S in the coming weeks. It is simply a better technical headphone than the LCD-3. Switching from one to the other is like lifting a veil off of the recording. The LCD-3 still has a nice smooth sound to it, but ultimately I feel like the HD800S is far closer to the...
I read that. It was a weird conclusion to me as I think running from the RCAs is significantly inferior to running the Codex balanced either by the XLRs or the headphone out. I sold my Red Wine Audio Cassabria because it was only single ended input. The codex was better direct with the balanced connection, the RWA was better (vastly better)  than using the codex direct through SE output jack. I read his conclusion, he didn't say it was better, he said it was his...
I received an HD800S review loaner this week and have been listening direct through the Codex using the balanced output. It works very, very well. It has been a while since I got to listen to an HD800 but the 800S does sound very different from what I remember, definitely a little warmer sounding. The detail is all there, but a tad less in your face.   An interesting comparison, my LCD-3Fs just had the drivers replaced and so have the new-this-year drivers. The sound of...
The Uptone REGEN made a notable difference in my case. This might be because my computer is a totally non-optimized homebuild with no audiophile hardware tweaks. I am about to get a Sonore microRendu which may be a big improvement over the Regen.
 My dealer said that his expectation was for the QB-9 to be discontinued and essentially replaced by the Codex at their lower end.
I didn't even realize there was a new headband until I put it on. It looks basically the same. My old one worked, but it felt kind of loose and seemed like it was too big for my head even though it worked. This new one fits much more snugly. I will see if it is more comfortable or not. On thing though, it definitely makes sure the drivers and snug against my head. I think most people would find this one better.
I just got my 2014 LCD-3Fs back from a driver replacement. The fazor feels a little different now (maybe more pointy?) so I assume they updated it to the newest drivers. I will let them play in a little before passing too much judgement but so far I like them. They do sound a bit more open, but I didn't have them for about 2 weeks so it is hard to say for sure. They still have the same basic character. I really like the sound, I just hope it doesn't fail again. Hopefully...