or Connect

Posts by KmanChu

My dealer said that his expectation was for the QB-9 to be discontinued and essentially replaced by the Codex at their lower end.
I didn't even realize there was a new headband until I put it on. It looks basically the same. My old one worked, but it felt kind of loose and seemed like it was too big for my head even though it worked. This new one fits much more snugly. I will see if it is more comfortable or not. On thing though, it definitely makes sure the drivers and snug against my head. I think most people would find this one better.
I just got my 2014 LCD-3Fs back from a driver replacement. The fazor feels a little different now (maybe more pointy?) so I assume they updated it to the newest drivers. I will let them play in a little before passing too much judgement but so far I like them. They do sound a bit more open, but I didn't have them for about 2 weeks so it is hard to say for sure. They still have the same basic character. I really like the sound, I just hope it doesn't fail again. Hopefully...
Open or closed back headphone isn't involved here. It is a reference to how an amplifier functions and how to connect components. I would suggest a brief web search on the difference between single ended or balanced connections. Basically some devices (like the Pono, or my Codex) sound better utilizing their balanced functionality, but it requires specific cable conductor configuration.
Has anyone made these things balanced? Is there a standard connection on the headphone end that be replicated for a custom cable? Or would I be stuck cannibalizing one of the stock cables?
It seems to be the fazer models. Mine has seen gentle use with the same amp as a set of alpha dogs which received far more use in actual hours and no issues. My early 2014 lcd 3f is being serviced now for right driver failure. There are just too many occurances to be coincidence. I thought that I was going to be immune as mine were just at the 2 year mark with no issues. But mine probably only get 10 hours per week of use and I am very conservative with volume. I am just...
 I think that statement would depend upon which headphones you are trying to power. I am pretty certain the headphone amp and the DAC output stage are the same output devices. The Codex does have a limitation on outright power, but with a headphone that does not require gobs of current such as the HD800, then I would bet you would have a hard time improving much with any other amp. (After plugging in some HD800's at a meet I am now looking for some. Even single-ended, I...
One thing I know about Ayre stuff, is that it usually performs at a very high level for the price. Even the really expensive stuff, like the Ax-5 Twenty is a very good performer for the price (but I have a hard time describing something as a good "value" at $10k+.) The ethernet with RoonReady is a huge deal to a lot people as Roon already has a big and loyal following and is a brilliant interface with the tablet apps. This configuration allows you to get the computer out...
 This release about the coming Qx-5 Twenty: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/ayre-acoustics-qx-5-twenty-%96-digital-hub-28422/
Not the Codex, switched the R and L cables at the Codex, same driver not playing on headphones. Switched cables at the headphone, same driver not playing on the headphones. It may not be a total driver failure though, it cuts back on momentarily if the wire gets pushed just the right way, seems like a bad solder joint. Normally I would fix this myself, but not willing to on a $2k headphone next to that driver while still under warranty. On another note, I got a chance to...