Posts by Captain Proton

Hi, I'm looking for a way to simultaneously connect four amplifiers (non-headphone amps) to a single audio source such as an iPhone. At first I thought using a 3.5mm splitter would accomplish this, however I'm concerned a passive splitter might degrade the sound quality going to each amp. So instead I thought about connecting my iPhone to a four channel headphone amplifier that would then connect to each of the four speaker amplifiers, boosting the signal going to each...
Hi, after years of using a pair of Sennheiser HD 202s which although sound really good for their price, I'm now looking to purchase my first pair of good headphones in the $100 to $200 price range.   I've heard good things about both the ATH M50s and the Beyerdymanic DT-770s and noticed they're often compared against each other. These both have features I'm looking for within my budget, but can't decide which one to get and was hoping to get some advice on which would be...
Yes, when I change the volume in the Creative SB-Z driver, that volume change is reflected in the Windows volume slider and that change is also reflected in the SB-Z driver as I change the volume directly through Windows.   I didn't realize this was a common issue with the SB-Z but will look further into it. Thanks for letting me know.   In general though, does lowering the volume in Windows to around 10% reduce sound quality?
Hi, I recently bought the Sennheiser HD-598 and so far have been very impressed with these headphones. Along with that I also purchased a Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card and have the 598 plugged into its 600ohm headphone amp port which significantly improves the audio quality from on board sound, however I noticed that I have to turn the Windows system volume down to about 6% to 10% most of the time because anything more is way too loud. When plugged directly into my...
Between what I've read here and elsewhere I went ahead and ordered the HD 598. I'm looking forward to trying them out. Thanks for your help. 
They will mostly be used with my Windows PC and Sound Blaster Z sound card which has a 600ohm headphone amp.
Hi, I'm looking to get a pair of headphones in the $150 - $200 range and have narrowed my options down to the Sennheiser HD 598 or one of the Beyerdynamic DT headphones.   I would mostly be using these for listening to music (classical and jazz primarily, so lots of bass isn't important) and gaming. So far from what I read the HD 598 seems to be better for music while the Beyerdymanic headphones on average seem to be better for gaming, but that may be wrong since I've...
I'll mostly be using these headphones with my Sound Blaster Z sound card through it's 600Ohm amplified headphone out 3.5mm connection.    As such I'm wondering if the DT line might be a better value. Both seem to have all the features I'm looking for. The HD 598 seems to offer a better sound stage but from a number of reviews I read the DT 900 Pro seems to be a better set of headphones overall. For use with a sound card amplifier, do you think the 598 is still better for...
After reading more comparisons I think it's worth the extra $50 to upgrade from the 558 to the 598, however one set of headphones I see commonly compared against the 598 is the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. So far I've read mixed opinions on which is a better value. Currently the DT 990 Pro costs slightly less but despite that some claim it yields better sound.   Between these two headphones, which do you think is the better value at their current prices? Is the 598 still...
 Thanks for those suggestions everyone. The HD 558 seems like a good option for what I'm looking for in headphones, especially with that foam mod, which might not even be necessary. I saw for about $50 extra, there's the similar HD 598 which from briefly reading comparisons between the two, appears to have significantly improved audio quality over the 558. In your opinion do you think it's worth spending that extra amount for the upgrade? Also the headphones I've been...