Posts by agentsim

Generally speaking any of the SoX options will outperform Core Audio. As to choosing between linear, intermediate and minimum, I think you're best trusting your ears.
BitPerfect shows the bit depth the DAC is configured to, which could be higher than the input file depending on how the DAC works.
 Glad you're enjoying it :)
BitPerfect 1.0.8 has been released. This is a bug fix release that solves a long standing annoyance caused by a bug in iTunes.   Changes are: Fix looping/skipping caused by iTunes communication problems. Ready for OSX Mavericks.   As always, contact support@bitperfectsound.com or send me a PM if you have any questions / comments or bug reports.
At the moment it doesn't look like it. The licensing terms for the iZotope plug-in don't make much sense for BitPerfect :(
  None that immediately come to mind. Since the quality of the interaction between BitPerfect and iTunes can be system dependent, turning the option on or off and sometimes make general functionality better. Overall it is probably a more buggy option, but if it works for you and you can hear a difference, then go for it.   Note, if you use iTunes remote with minimize iTunes mode, you'll get the same play/pause button problem.  
  Sounds like you have "Minimize iTunes Interaction" enabled. In that mode, BitPerfect keeps iTunes in the paused state so that it doesn't attempt to play the file, but since iTunes is paused, the Play/Pause button will always display the play icon.
  The virtual sound card can take input sample rate the programmer chose to implement, but it will still need to be downsampled to 96k for output, and will probably use a lower quality downsampler, like CoreAudio instead of SoX.     BitPerfect isn't a feature driven program, the goal is to keep it simple and sounding good. BitPerfect 1.1 will have a better audio engine which should improve sound quality a little, and a plug-in system to allow me to build more features...
I believe Boom is a virtual sound card, like Soundflower. If you tell BitPerfect to play through Boom, then the sound quality will be affected by the quality of Boom's equalizers and other effects. In general, the more steps that sound has to go through before you hear it, the more degraded it will be.   If you select a different output device in BitPerfect, then you will circumvent Boom, avoiding any potential degradation, but also not getting any of the volume...
I'm not familiar with iTunes integration in Plex or Xbmc. My understanding is that these are both standalone player software that can perhaps monitor iTunes in some way to play your music. If I'm right about that, then they perform an analogous function to BitPerfect which would prevent BitPerfect from working with them.   As for a song change notification, BitPerfect doesn't emit anything like that mainly because it should always be doing whatever iTunes is doing and...