Posts by Mechans1

I think the Tung Sol 5998s  are significantly different, in my opinion better than 6080s I have or have heard.  I would buy fewer multiples of tubes, it sounds like some of you are buying.  I know it is difficult not to buy "back ups" and back ups for the back ups, but in truth youi are prolly better off with variety instead of quantity.I could have bought NIB Mullard 6080s as a quad but opted for a pair after seeing my collection grow so large with other tubes..  You will...
I have been listening to my K7XX most of the afternoon with the Bravo V2 amp.  Given the Bravos diminutive size and price, it's performance is incredible .  I am truly dazzled by this amp.  It is on sale over on MassDrop for $79.  I thought I paid less just a few months ago, but still $10 difference matters little when you can get an amp the works well with some heavy hitter headphones. I also use HD 700 Sennheisers.   The alternatives are, it seems much more expensive . ...
What is your take on the Sylvania sound?  Could you give me an idea of what they sound like.For the desk top amp which uses the 6080 family of tubes.  My favorites so far are the domino plate 5998 by Tung Sol, followed by the Mullard 6080.  The 6SN7s have their own thread but are also in my amp, making it a tube roller's delight.   p.s.(I am using the rare opaque grey glass cv1988 6SN7GTY by Brimar)
I think you will be happy going with an amp.  The sound is big and a little bass heavy in my estimation, but I am not a bass head. You need good power when amplifying bass.  Good Luck
The brand was very different in the 50s and 60s which is it's tube era.  They were made in Chicago and were in competition with Scott and fisher.  There difference was modern sleek styling.  My father had an S5000  II.  I have several iterations of their integrated stereo  amp and tuners.  One tuner was completely overhauled by a friend and given to me as a gift.  The tuners were also quite competitive in their day.  The big receivers are relatively scarce but beautiful as...
Indeed it is very difficult to find certain desirable tubes stocked by regular tube sellers.  When they do have something I really wanted  (I don't want a lot now) the price was ridiculous.  Try to buy Metal Base Sylvania Ws in NOS condition from a tube seller outside of eBay. At least some of you have a reason/logic for hoarding tubes.   I just couldn't help myself when I saw something I thought was a good tube at a really good price I bought it. I also pursued certain...
Who is this seller with millions of tubes? I think I know which one I think it's the Florida tube seller.  Can anyone fill me in on this.  I haven't got the 6520s but do have the Mullard 6080, RCA 6080 smooth plate 6AS7Gs Relabeled Zearix , and Tung Sol domino plate 5998s and the 5998s are clearly my favorite , the Mullard are very good also- but not as good.  Sounds like I have to find some Sylvanias and GEC to try out. Just curious why are you stock piling so many Tung...
I am not worried about ubiquity, and can't imagine infamy for the moment.  The only thought I had was that they said they had 6,000 KXXs last time and aren't saying how any now. just a certain number of days.  Did that change and they are "limiting" this edition, to ???  Doesn't really trouble me as I rarely sell my gear, but if I were to do that, with these in the near future, the supply might exceed the demand.
Sorry about the delay.  I have not heard the Ocean amp.  I have the Bravo Audio V2 class A 12AU7 multi-hybrid Headphone Amplifier.  It is available for your perusal at www.bravoaudio.com.    It drives the HD 700s I have  easily and pleasantly.  It is clearly not the end all, everything, for the headphone aficionado but the sound quality is impressive, I like it a lot especially for the price paid.  I might have even bought it as a MassDrop "drop" for about $60. I happen to...
I was told by a very well informed collector/seller of mainly 6SN7s that  the black glass there is no significant sonic difference.  The only real difference is the attendant coolness factor.  black glass look so  much better.  Actually Their is a difference in truth, which is easy to understand  the black glass absorbs heat better  yielding slightly lower internal elements.