or Connect

Posts by Mechans1

I understand,I think that G1217 needs to consider a tubed power section on it's  integrated amps.  I own an Ember and a bigger all tube desk top made by the disgraced SinglePower.  The SP Extreme uses a fairly standard approach a 6SN7 taking care of preamp functions and a pair of 6080 power tubes.  The number of subs for the 6080 has got me spending money on tubes again, a bad habit I thought I had beat. . 
I Don't know the criteria for the 12 Volt Bad Boy if it exists at all. If they follow the 6 volt true  Bad Boy they would have been made before the 14th week of 1953.  The date code would read  3 13 or earlier. The production started In the 39th week of 1951 going all the way through 1952 and ending around the 16th week of 1953 as above.  Having been made within this timeframe does not make all Sylvanias.6SN7s Bad Boys .  You are quite right to inspect for the correct...
What are you wanting most out of the trade?  The chassis, the adapters,  Tubes Etc.
 I feel compelled to say that it isn't always price that makes excellent gear pairing and system building.  I have some Focal /JM Labs Electra 936s from a few generations back in time.  These speakers are  ruthlessly revealing and analytic without the right gear. I bought them because the store knew how to get them to behave. I could not, for financial reasons  and did not want to replicate that particular set up.  In addition I got a crazy low price on the model up from...
I can't remember if I have said this already.  I use a somewhat uncommon Mullard 6922./7308 type tube with very  good results.  The tube is the CV-2493, sometimes written as a E88CC-01, it is atypical for a Mullard in that it has a bright treble called sparling by some.  I like the tube for its apparent precision.  They not usually inexpensive but within reason costing from $50-100 per tube.  They have been widely copied and I have been told counterfeits are abundant. ...
I am quite surprised to see so little being written about these fabled tubes.  I have only had ECC32s for a couple of years and ECC33s for less time than that.  I use them in spots where a 6SN7 would be called for.   The guy that solded me the ECC32s I think felt some guilt about them, they were sold as NIB NOS but there was a run of Russian made ECC32s in the 1980s.  After careful exam,ination of thr getter I think these are British but not truly NOS as it seems most...
Tonight My thread clock says 6:45 am then I saw you are posting from Hawaii. What is the 65th Anni all about.? I still miss my K701s to be honest, stolen I think, by my Ex wife's brother. When they were new a million years ago, they had a MSRP of $400, which is equal today of about oh $440*- I don't think anyone actually paid MSRP, I didn't anyway.  Never the less I don't have anything to show for the money I did spend.         *N.B. this is an arbitrary number not...
I only wanted the last question you asked re 5751s. If you just want to get the basic flavor there is current Russian production, I think it may be Sovtek but am not at all sure about the brand? The highest regarded tubes have 3 mica separating support structures and have black plates. These triple mica black plate tubes were frequently made in the 1950s and early 1960s  As for reputation by brand that is a matter of taste of course but Sylvania, RCA and GE in that...
Use your previous favorites and explore from there.  I always liked the 5751s and have found they sound good n this application as well.  There are various adapters available which allow you to use a large variety of tubes.  An example is the 6SN7 adapter .  The 6SN7 has a very wide variety of sounds depending on brand and vintage, many people no their favorite. I should have mentioned the 12AU7 which is theoretical stock.  A couple of the more obscure 12AU7s are the very...
Which tube are you using with your Ember.?  I have an Ember - as you undoubtedly know, your choice of tube has major impact on its  sound. I am using a Sylvania 3mica Black Plate 5751 at the moment but use a variety of other pre amp tubes like the 7316 variant of the ECC-82/12AU7, other 5751s, some odd tubes like the  Brimar 13D5 and Haltron 6060 etc.