Posts by Mechans1

Agree they are out of control terms of price these days in .  Even worse some pairs sound like garbage, and you assume the risk because they aren't dead, just flat and dull!  I had better luck assembling singles and "matching" using my tube tester, for gm..
Iam wondering why you keep only one?  I have way too many and should get rid of some (20-30) but a handful what 5-6 tubes, is that really a burden?  It is kind of fun rolling them once in a while,  I really  do that.  There doesn't need to be a single "best" there can be many really excellent tubes.  If I were you I would keep most of what you have, get rid of ones you don't  like at all,  and use those dollars to buy a couple of new one to try.  There are several variants...
If the factory code on the tube base started with 322,  it was indeed made by Tung Sol.  If the code begins with 312 then it is in fact a Sylvania made tube labeled as a Tung Sol, obviously you would  not lose out on anything in that event.  I do recall however that Tung Sol made a WGTA, but I might be remembering incorrectly.  What does a Sylvania 6SN7WGTA cost these days? I don't think they are overly expensive, the WGT that I suggested is getting scarce and I know they...
I would opt for the Crack which is all tube vs the Ember which is Hybrid tube and SS.  That is not a value judgement on the Ember which has a very loyal following, it is just what I would prefer in this one particular situation with the perceived treble issues/sibilance with the HD  700s.  I can't say if doing all this just to use these headphones is a good overall approach to buying an amp.
Yes use a decent tube amp and roll in British tubes.  In all seriousness a tube amp will help, what tube to use is another discussion.  I noted that someone suggested a higher quality source and a good CD player with a known warm side and or a tubed output section.  
I suggest the Sylvania WGT no A because it simply sounds better.  Sometimes it's difficult to describe what those differences are, but if you like the quick clean accuracy of the WGTA you will likely find the WGT does those all  things it does but is better at bringing out details, has better tonal balance, and is fuller all around. The black glass NU is what you have said it is a seemingly neutral tube that doesn't do anything poorly or make unpleasant sound.  I don't...
I was curious about your location  and was surprised to read your response being outside the USA.  As for my own use of tuners , I m much too lazy to put up an exterior antennae,   I live in an apartment now and an exterior antennae is not an option.  When I had my house I always told myself to put up such an antennae but never did.  The result is that I don't hear much new or interesting old music to add to my collection. Eventually I guess I will end up streaming to...
The Sennheiser HD-800s well discounted.  High end amps to match also heavily discounted.  Look at how successful putting the HD-700s on sale deeply discounted has been. And some stand alone DACs on serious sale.  Any or all of those would  get my cards going so fast and much they would be smoking!
What's the deal with Sennheiser  never putting the 800s on sale? What's up with that.  The brand is discounted all thru out its other lines except this one item.  Do they use moon dust and other unobtainium in making it?  Why haven't other manufacturers made a very  similar headphone? piss moan bitch  etc. etc. I guess I will sell my other headphones, some of my tubes, moan bitch etc. what you want my pens also! say it ain't so.....cry.. wee...sob ..wretch ..etc
Thanks for the info, I had been using one lately that is  very nice indeed.  However being a tube roller and reading that some people like the Sylvania 6080 I had to try them. I must say they are impressive in the lower registers and give the impression of a full and rich overall sound.  I will see how they stack up against the Mullards I have.  These Sylvanias have a metal banded porcelain base and are totally gettering covered at the top of the tube with Halo getters. ...