Posts by Mechans1

None of them seems able to compete with the better NOS or just OS in terms of sound quality..  The one thing you get of course is a warranty of sorts with the current production tubes.  Warranties are rarely given with NOS tubes although some of the bigger operations do. Have you tried some of the les expensive old stock tubes like RCA or Ken Rad, GE, CBS Hytron, and Sylvania (my favorite). Even Tung Sol non round plates are  very good tubes.  If you have some confidence...
There are some other "radiotron" 6SNs for sale on ebay but they are said to be from GE of Canada,. The tubes are superficially similar (plates high up in tube) but despite the photos there are  not  great shots of the plates.  The other thing is that there are typically factory codes on tubes  called eia codes I think, on he tube base..  I have a list of them some where but there isn't any code to look up on these bases.  So I am curious as well, I might ask your question...
Well there has been a rush to accept this as legit, all responses have been positive so.  Let me be the natterering naebob of negativism here. (I am dating myself check out Spiro Agnew for the unusual words). Generally speaking,  when something appears too good to be true, it usually is. The question is -Is this too good to be true?  Apparently most everyone  thinks not.
The Pioneer  1250 is quite desirable.  I ended up  looking at a bunch of 70s Japanese receivers and integrated amps when I couldn't find a Kenwood 7100 that wasn't broken looking to replace the one I owned for many years. I noticed you had a pic of a Luxman, I bought some of them too all had issues, one caught fire!
If you are a DYI type you are OK, as some of the replys indicate. A bad capacitor you can replace or the power switch itself.  Otherwise like me you are at a loss when you try to find a tech who will work on it.  If it's a board that's burned forget it.  I hope you are OK but it sounds like a sell for parts. I was looking on ebay for my old high school integrated amp a Kenwood 7100 a couple of days ago and found none for sale .  Just a few years ago there were many for...
Well maybe I overstated the notion that my Extreme didn't respond to tube rolling.  It does and I use some very good tubes in the 6SN7 position.  It was the opinion of the (now disgraced) owner of SP that very specific 6SN7s worked best in these amps.  In comparison to my preamp  the SP Extreme's  6SN7 isn't as revealing.  I think your PPX-3 could very easily be  highly sensitive to the 6SN7s it uses  and more like my preamp.  I think in fact, that it may support the idea...
I am just visiting your thread .  I   want  to ask a fundamental question,.  Are the headphone circuits in a receiver like my Fisher 400 purpose built or  employing some kind easy shortcut taken from another circuit already serving a distinct purpose? Thank for an answer I hope this isn't asked all of the time. 
Indeed circuits play a critical role in hearing noise ,microphonics, and even the character of  a 6SN7s sound. I had built up a fairly large collection of 6SN7s that I used as a driver tube in a 4o wpc integrated  speaker amp.  Rolling the tubes was really rewarding I could clearly hear the differences between tubes and what made some truly special.  I then bought an AE-3 preamp (by Cary) which used 6SN7s as it's  voltage amplifier.  All of a sudden some of the  tubes...
The Mass......site which I heard can't be named, has the HP 200s for about $160 depending on volume.  Are the 200s much better than the 100s?    I don't know anything about this company . Today is the first time I ever heard anything about them.  What do they compare to?
I am glad to see this kind of study.  The results aren't so wonderful but do explain my subjective thinking that the treble is rolled off, more than I remember my K701s were which had an analytical sound signature. They weren't nearly as edgy as I recall the Grados were when I bought the AKGs 7+ years ago.