or Connect

Posts by Mechans1

That is an unusual finding for this headphone. I found it a bit numb at times while breaking it in, but a lack of mids or bass was never an issue for me  using this headphoneI expect that some of that thinness will disappear after burn it.  Most of my electronics , speakers and sources (except  .vinyl) started out with excess treble energy. What headphones are you comparing them to ?  These may have more resolution of finer detail than your previous cans. I never thought...
I really can't agree with the prevailing notion that an amp maker would not want to use inexpensive easily available tubes.  How many amps have you seen with 6SN7s and 6AS7Gs etc.  The lack of new production tubes is an obvious problem.  They just wouldn't have a reliable stock of unused tubes to use, that can easily be replaced if that becomes an issue.  I would go so far as to say that expensive and rare tube requirements would be a turn off to prospective amp buyers. I...
Power in watts per channel was one of the first if not the first thing you asked about 'back in the day' (circa 1976-1980 for me).  I bought a Kenwood 'Dual Mono' KA-7100 60 watt per channel integrated amp.  I bought a Nikko Gamma I tuner a year or so later.  I didn't even think about using the headphone jack.  I was able to buy a curious new import called Stax.  These were the electrets or ear speakers as I recall. I sold them some years later for very little.  I...
I have been using the "Ember" with HD 700s and KXXs and it seems to have plenty of power for those conventional HPs.  How many Watts or MiliWatts  per channel does it put out.  I have an amp a lot like the Elise which I also use.  Power has not been an issue for me so far.  I suppose certain electrostatic type  HPs would require much more power. I noted that a recent post favored Amperex 12AT7s.  I have always liked Amperex 12AU7s and have all I think I will ever need. ...
I suggest trying a variety of other brand 12AU7s to start.  Then perhaps the other common audio preamp 12 volt tubes i.e. the 12AX7 and the12AT seven. Don't buy  the costly  premium NOS tubes until you know how these  alter the sound.  If you want to try the easily sourced   NOS 6SN7 get the adapter from 1217.   That's enough to start, understand that these tubes are typical audio tubes.  Happy Hunting-- PS Jeremy had a stock of NOS tubes at  very reasonable prices, don't...
Or g-d forbid you use a real pre amp. They are rare but exist, not sure which model would be good for your power amps.
Nice Collection of tubes .  What precipitated this sale? If I didn't owe Uncle Same so much, I might have tried some.  Oh well, I should be more like you and your ilk and sell more (some anyway) of my hoard. Good luck
I think you should hold on to a couple of the better sounding tubes in your collection.  You may decide that you want to hear this or that tube and type again.  Replacing NOS  tubes can be difficult  and more expensive than the price you paid.Surely you have some back up tubes, should the one you currently prefer fail?
That last comment may be the reason the bass is so strong.  I own "heritage Klipsch," my first serious hifi buy were Heresys black cost $550 in 1976. A lot of money then.Much later  c. 2005,  I bought 1978 LaScalas in Birch* .  I already owned several others but I mention these because Bass as noted was never the kind of punch you in the gut type that Cerwin Vega was kown for.  Although the Klipsch you are discussing have more aggressive bass they still don't have he CW...
I read somewhere that the tube top designation A tubes were made earlier than  the W, but both were identical  Sylvania Military 6SN7Ws.  I now think my concern about the flashing/gettering is merely a photo image issue.  Both tubes are the excellent Metal base med to tall bottle 6SN7W.  I am using  one myself at this time and think it is superb.