Posts by Mechans1

It's a pity that the stock cable is so thin.  I would have hoped for a thicker conductor and for those who hear sibilance -I don't- there should be an all copper cable.  That leaves open a fertile field for after market cable makers.  I see there are those who use fully balanced systems already.
A tall bottled top getter, chrome topped, T plate Sylvania GT was made for consumer and for military, but the military  designation was "W" or "A" (it was GT for consumer) .   With only the military variant having the much sought after metal base. There are also bottom getter Sylvania GTs, which people call Bad Boys but only the 3 rivet tubes earn the Bad Boy designation, the 2 rivet tubes are very good mind you, but the BBs are better .  The military variant for the...
There is the Brimar CV1988 6SN7GTY it  is not overly warm,it leans in that direction.  I would have said a Sylvania "W" but you already know you like them.  Just curious, if you know you like them, why not try to snag one that appears to be NOS or at least close to NOS? I have a bunch myself  but very few with original boxes.
There is no need to rush to the summit of 6SN7 variations although not all would feel as strongly as you do re the NU Black glass. Why  not take a little time and experiment with strong testing but relatively inexpensive Sylvanias, of almost any stripe except coin base and RCA and what ever else is available that is strong but not costly.  These are usually pleasurable experiments.  I suppose if he/she just wants to buy one 6SN7 and be done with it I would offer my...
I have owned the earlier version of the AKG and currently  own the HD700, BeyerDT770 pro and a mangled Audio Technia ADH AT700 and A set of "electrec earspeakers " by Stax.  Oh and I forgot a pristine carefully preserved set  labeled MONOPRICE and very little else. It would be wonderful if the Monoprice HPs were the top of the pile  but sadly it is not. The differences between the AKGs open airy throwing an enormous halographic stage.  At least with the tube gear I use...
I am totally uncool and not up to date with the vernacular. So I will ask and probably relieve many of us old farts. What is a brone?" Thanking you in advance you who may gibrone. Uncle Steve
I have a lot of 6SN7s, but none of the  6F8Gs, which I have heard nothing but good things about.  Can you tell me some names of good adapter sources?  I'll have to figure out which tubes I want to chase-- given the number of other tubes I already own, I hope I can trade with some people. BTW I was using a NU Black in my HP amp and it is quite good  but I don't have the GEC power tubes. I swapped in a Brimar CV1988 which sounded more detailed and full in my amp. Thanks...
I just wanted to point out that NU black glass tubes were easier to find 6-7 years ago.  The real prize according Len  (a legendary   6SN7 guy) was the NU grey glass.  I was able to find a pair of these rare tubes  by  collecting 1 tube at a time and by buying  lots just for a couple of interesting or rare tubes. I may even have ended up with a couple of NU grey glass. PM about the NU  black glass I have to dig them out to see my inventory so to speak.
Tubes are sold in Accessories on  Audiogon  and  Audio Asylum, I am a newbee here and don't know. Disclaimer, I have no financial interest in any party on the websites I mention, just providing information to a fellow phile.
Hi  I have not been following this as my simple questions will show but-I am very interested in a 6SN7 6080 amp as described in the forum header.  Does Feliks Audio make a model like this? I though there was a model called the Expressivio or something like that but don't see it for sale.  Another question is -are these amps made for American /USA voltages? Thanks in Advance-Steve