Posts by Mechans1

No-  That's the simple answer with the gear you intend to drive them with .  I use them that way but I am far from a bass fan.  My other headphones are Sennheiser  HD700s which I use with a SinglePower Extreme, I really love that sound, the music seems full and rich ( although I roll the tubes often enough to tweak the sound for fun), but it not not bassy or bass heavy. My music preferences don't demand a lot of bass for the most part either.  Good luck finding what you...
Wowzer where oh where? I am duly impressed. Any more to be had? I have to ask! I just missed out on the legendary Swedish military tubes by a couple of days a few months back. My consolation prize didn't compare - a pair of the "original Bad Boys" tubes i.e. from the batch that started the nick name. I own several good pairs already so it was only for collecting reasons.
It is altogether true that there are many really expensive hobbies involving the acquisition of material things, but you don't always create the same monster you and me had become with headphone gear. It takes a willing and fertile collectors mindset to get consumed by this hobby. Suggesting a only better headphone may be result in just that, a single step and the recipients may be happy and quite satisfied with it. For instance I don't know that smoking some weed will...
I have only recently joined Head Fi but have a long time collector of 6SN7s.  I just loved what rolling these tubes could do.  I think I have maxxed out, most of the potential with them. using the SP Extreme I have had since prior to the SP implosion. I noticed that I had some NU Black glass GTs in mint condition and gave one of the a shot.  Earlier posts in this thread acknowledged them as being a good -but nothing special tube, in this application.  I beg to differ,...
How much does the AKG 812 cost on a good day?
If you think the headphone is indeed harsh in the treble frequencies then you don't want silver in all likelihood.  Personally I don't find the HD 700s harsh and could see using silver somewhere in the cable. I think you really have to spend some time with the stock cable which I think is all copper.  I am actually trying out an OCC replacement cable available on ebay.  I am not sure it represents any meaningful  sonic improvement over stock.  If anything is gained it is...
No low hum should  be present with either of those tubes.  It doesn't sound like you have the endemic micophonics  heard with many 6SN7s. I can't offer an explanation but did these tubes come from a guy who tested them thoroughly including self generated noise?  Congats on the Bad Boys what year are they, 3 hole plates I hope? ( should be on the base). Ebay  bottom fishing isn't always the best strategy.  I ended up with a number of substandard  tubes even paying good...
It is a rare one. I have never even heard about such a tube, I will ask about it to my most 6SN7 saavy friend.
I would guess it really depends on how much noise there is to be reduced by balanced circuits in the first place. Assuming  the amp architecture allows a comparison  with a single ended design.. I am sure you are well aware of my comments and can tell a balanced circuit from one that isn't.  I have read that some balanced circuits are not truly balanced. Personally I am not knowledgeable  enough to determine what is or is not truly balanced.  If  there is a single ended...
I agree for emphasis and explanation .  The CKR was the Ken Rad abbreviation frequently found on military issue tubes. I know the regular readers of this thread know this, I am only pointing it out for the interested newcomer or casual tube audio person.