or Connect

Posts by dudlew

Once you realize that sound is objective, you would realize that nobody could answer that question :) Someone might say that there iphone with some cheap earbuds is better than a highend portable stack, and you really cant doubt them because it is there opinion.   I might tell you that you need an AK380 with $2000 custom iems for the best sound and you might not like it anymore than what you already have. You might like it even less!!
  You ask a tough question with an easy answer. The answer is, in my opinion, what you listen to. Your favorite music or songs. Songs that you know by heart when that guitar or bass or brass will come in and you ply the air instruments to.... Sometimes, my test songs vary depending on what listening period I am in. There are times where I listen to EDM, there are times when its just Jazz, there are times when its alternative etc. But in my opinion, knowing a song inside...
Are you close to the Addicted to Audio stores in Melbourne or Sydney? Seeing that you are in Australia, and this store carries Audeze, Fostex Lake People, Burson and others. If they allow demoing, then give them a check and pair up the Burson with hard to drive headphones, and try different amps too. Always better to demo when you can. They may even have the Abyss.
just curious. I see in your profile you hava a Meridian Explorer. What is your opinion of the Meridian as an amp? Is it enough to drive the Fostex?
just curious, what headphone are you trying to drive? or is it you are trying to future proof yourself thinking that one day you may need to drive an Abyss or LCD-4 or HE-6?
ok. understood
I see you have an oppo pm3 in your sig.... is it not sufficient for your travel needs or you dont own it anymore?
  Well in that case you are in the same boat as I am in, but it would be good to have an idea of the type of sound signature you like. For instance, are you a bass head, a treble head, a detail freak, a smooth machine, or somewhere in between? I have noticed that my preferred signature is mostly neutral but with a touch of warmth and a smooth non fatiguing treble, and a slightly emphasized bass, hence my like for headphones such as the PM3 and to an extent the 7520. Even...
where are you located? If you are in the states or the UK, you may have a chance to try alot of the headphones you are asking about. It is good to build up a database of what you want to try, but in the end, the choice is always yours as to what you like and want.
I never heard either the Signal Cable or Cabledyne. I am one of the few unfortunate souls who has to buy to listen and I cant afford that, so I have to base my decision on alot of reading and reviews and take a plunge, or just buy on gut. I bought the Van Den Hul based on hearing it in my brother's system, All of the others were blind buys.