Posts by facelvega

SR Lambda: Great working order, good condition all around, pads are older but fully intact with plenty of life left in them. I can take pictures if anyone is interested. The SRD-7/SB box is great, I've had several different ones over the years and this is the best Stax box I've had yet. Actually probably the best of the many dozens of headphones I've had over the years, tied with the PMB500 (I'm not ready to sell those, sorry.) -- SOLD (I asked for $375 shipped). I...
Quote: Originally Posted by nickrobotron These are probably the two coolest looking headphones on the market, IMO. I've read so much about the ES7 and am thinking of buying a pair, but I'd like to know more about the SQ5 since they're a little cheaper, and a little sweeter looking. Has anyone heard both pairs? Also interested in a comfort comparison. Thanks! nick I also thought that the SQ5 looked better than the ES7-- until I saw them in...
Quote: Originally Posted by smeggy The felt foot pad is there just as a reflex patch, it's the right size and sticky. I doubt it has any useful audio qualities. I did, however, find a nice little thing after a bit of testing. Gluing the thick felt down really, really firmly. I ran my thick industrial superglue around all the back vent holes plus the rim and stuck the felt down really hard and the bass firms up wonderfully and some of the warmth goes away....
Quote: Originally Posted by audiod Short term listening practices (the quick A/B) when evaluating audio equipment has been abolished by the “high end” community for more than 30 years. Technically, yes, but everyone still does it. I think the quick A/B has its place, as long as one goes into it aware of the limitations and danger of having one's ear misled. Also it's often the only comparison available, so even if it needs to be taken with a grain...
Quote: Originally Posted by John E Woven Here you go I think you've sloped the curve backwards, unless you're making an unexpected argument.
Quote: Originally Posted by mypasswordis s been proven that there were different versions of dynamic drivers put into the K340. Knowing AKG, probably, but I don't think there has been real evidence for it. Well, there have been a lot of versions of the DKK 32 driver capsule with different parts numbers for different headphones (2030Z0008 for the K340, 0007 for the K241, 0010 for the Sextett or K240M, etc.). I believe it's also been shown in this...
Quote: Originally Posted by mypasswordis I'm glad I can be considered a man, at least by some people, and in some respects. I was actually thinking of the headphones themselves as men or boys, or maybe the engineers who made them. Around here, maybe willingness to open up the headphone and tweak it counts in the same way, so you still get macho cred (from some people, in some respects, naturally) Quote: Originally Posted by...
Quote: Originally Posted by smeggy the driver is felted as normal with a small self-stick hard felt pad (Felt feet from hardwar stores) stuck onto it. I'd be hesitant about facing the adhesive side toward the driver, depending on how permeable the adhesive layer is-- it could just act as a reflex disc, not making acoustic use of the felt part at all. Of course, that might sound fine anyway.
Quote: Originally Posted by mypasswordis I did momentarily hear the K340 without electret connected while I was modding them and although it does really only add brightness and sparkle, I could never listen to the K340 without it. A clean and extended top end is one of the things that separates the men from the boys in heaphonery, and the reason for all the expensive complexity of the K340 in the first place. If one can do without the electrets,...
I'm sure all the naysayers will get really manly hearing aids when they're 45. Forget cowardly long hair, manliness is scoffing at them and doing what you damn well please.