Posts by IPodPJ

Who said the 600 has a completely flat response? It's just more well-rounded whereas the 650 can sound muddy in comparison. It all depends on your tastes but I think if you asked most senior members here which one sounded more realistic they'd say the 600. A good analogy is the 600 is to the 800 as the 650 is to the LCD2. However the 600 doesn't have some of the treble issues the 800 does, but it's not nearly as accurate either. The best thing is for everyone to...
WTF? Triplicate posts? Ok so maybe this mobile site isn't working as well as I thought.
On board audio? 96dB SNR? That's your problem. A gain of 6 will always be louder than a gain of 2.5. Very unlikely you damaged your headphones. You are just using a garbage source.
On board audio? 96dB SNR? That's your problem. A gain of 6 will always be louder than a gain of 2.5. Very unlikely you damaged your headphones. You are just using a garbage source.
Just a small bit of advice from someone who has had extensive modding done to his Transporter and uses it SOLELY as a transport (the entire analog section is disabled and numerous clocks replaced/added, trafos, regulator board, caps, etc....): I spoke to the designer of the Transporter, who has the same name as you, Sean. He stated that the AES/EBU output on the Transporter is the worst of any of them. It was added as an afterthought. The BNC output yields the best...
What that says is that with 300 ohm headphones the maximum power output is 200 milliwatts. With 60 ohm headphones the maximum power output is 400 milliwatts. Since the HD650 are 300 ohm headphones you can drive them with a maximum of 200mW. The maximum power handling on the HD650 is 500mW but because they are quite sensitive you don't need that much power. If you put 500mW into the phones you'd blow your eardrums out in a very short time.The output impedance of the amp...
I agree, it is nice to see differences out there. I completely see eye to eye with this philosophy. What I disagree with is the fact that some will miss out on how good it sounds because they don't care for the aesthetics, and when you're dealing with non-neutral colors it's good to be flexible if you want to appeal to a wider audience. Obviously he's the designer and it's completely his choice but from a business perspective a little flexibility only helps.
That doesn't sound right. A gain of 20 is quieter than 0? Maybe they mean attenuation of 0dB and -20dB. You should contact the manufacturer for clarification. And are you sure the output impedance is 300 ohms or OPTIMIZED for 300 ohm headphones? A 300 ohm output impedance would be extremely high. Most amps have between 0 and 3 ohms output, with some amps also having a 120 ohm output for older model studio headphones. As far as determining if you've damaged your...
A lot more than a big blue box with glass tubes and transformers. Some people just have different aesthetic preferences and it would be a shame for them to miss out on a great sounding amp.I'm not really a tube guy (except for previous guitar amps) but you can't tell me the warm glow of tubes is ugly. It's anything but! A well designed tube amp looks gorgeous when powered up.