Posts by IPodPJ

It took me A LOT of money to build the ultimate system before I was truly satisfied with them, but the beauty is the system performs equally as well for the LCD3.  The gain on my amp is not configured for phones like the HE-6 though, and was optimized for the HD800 and high sensitivity phones.  That could be changed, but then the performance of the high sensitivity phones would drop a notch.   IMO the HD800 need to be driven in a balanced configuration to get the most...
  Just do what I did.  Download the 24/96 FLACs from Burning Shed for $10.  It sucks that it doesn't come free with the set, as it most certainly should and has always been a complaint of mine when paying $90-$100 for a "deluxe edition".  In fact I've complained to Burning Shed numerous times about this.  They don't really care.   My box set is at the post office and I should be receiving it tomorrow.  I can't enjoy the 5.1 anyway, so I might just sell it.   I'm not going...
  It really all depends on the pair.  Compared to one pair I auditioned for many hours, my pair has a good 2-3x as much bass presence and impact between 50-120Hz.  My graph slightly reflects that, too, but not nearly as much as the actual audible results.  So there are LCD-3 out there that are relatively bass light, and others that have serious bass punch.
  Ditto.  This is the best way to keep dust out of your headphones and in optimum condition.  Also, keep the styrofoam spacer that comes with them and put them inside the earcups as well to maintain full, thick ear pads.
  Don't know why I thought it was Dolby then.  But now that I looked up my bookmark you are indeed correct, it was DTS Headphone-X.  Dolby had some updates to their software in January 2013 so I guess I got them confused.  The Headphone-X does sound promising for movies though.  Apparently when they turned the speakers off people had no idea the sound was actually coming from the headphones.  Who knows what cheap pair they were using --- imagine a good pair like the...
  It's going to be built into amplifiers and computers so those are your only costs.  They may release a software plug- in for it at some point and I'm sure someone will hack the chipset and create a software version plug-in for Foobar with the same algorithms.  Not sure if they plan on releasing a stand-alone box but if they do I couldn't imagine it costing more than a few hundred.  Its first inception though will likely be surround receivers and laptop...
Dolby has a new headphone 7.1 (or was it 11.1) processing coming out that's supposed to be almost as good as the Smyth Realiser, but without the custom room matching and head tracking.  People who heard it at CES said it was truly remarkable and the best they had ever heard, and works with two channel headphones.  The HD800 or LCD3 would be fantastic with this, as they only demoed it with much cheaper phones.
  Try putting a pair of HD650 on top of them if you want to hear "as 3D as it gets".
  Sankar's a good guy, no doubt.
  Matter of preference.  I prefer the LCD3 to the 009.   The best Stax IMO was the SR-Omega.  If only it had a little more bass and a tighter headband it would be a perfect phone, IMO.   And I definitely agree with Jude if he said the LCD3 have the best overall combination of any phone, and certainly the best bass.   Odd, because I was never a big fan of the LCD-2.   I still love my HD800 (and HD800/650 piggybacked) but the bass of the LCD3 is just so seductive and I...