Posts by marshallmole

@Oregonian--I think @melikeheadphone was asking about your ear pads--which I believe to be Stax 007 pads. Correct me if I'm wrong.  Just trying to help out with the little confusion here...
Infected Mushroom is really good. I like their earlier albums better though. Before start using speaker amp HE-6 for me does an adequate job playing those. Now every track of IM just makes me keep bobbing my head.
Pending sale.
Thank you. Apparently there are quite several options for balanced passive preamp as well. Emotiva has one, for example. I'd assume the price difference doesn't mean too much, given how passive preamps work, it should just be better quality parts. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Thank you. This is exactly what I plan to do.Sadly the balanced version of this has one step higher price. Not that balanced means a lot to me, but now I have only balanced interconnects, and don't really want to spend the time or money to swap them back to SE.
Thank you! The little dot is actually a quite powerful headphone amp by its own standard. So it's probably reasonable to have a pretty high gain and some noise floor. But the speaker amp is really no myth, it is true.
Also the amp is utterly silent by itself. But it picked up the noise floor from the LD MKVI (now functioning as a preamp) very strongly--the noise floor is not noticeable when driven by the MKVI itself. I guess this is also an indication of the amp being good at showing details? In other words I'm constantly switching to my old favorites in spite of a significant noise floor... That should be fixed at some point but right now I don't care
I am now a happy camper of speaker amp for HE-6! Bought a B&K 125.2 off ebay (which I asked about ~ a week ago) and it arrived today. Right from the start is such a dramatic difference compared to my old LD MKVI (I know, probably a bit underpowered here). The bass is so phenomenal... full bodied, tight and clean, and hits so hard. The mids also seem to gain a lot of weight and a bit of smoothness. Only the treble and highs seem to be relatively unchanged in...
Up for sale is my Audio-GD 10ES. This is basically two generations earlier version of the NFB 28. The unit has optical and coaxial (RCA + BNC) inputs, single ended and balanced outputs (headphone + line out) as well as the usual ACSS outputs. This unit was upgraded with TXCO and OCC wiring. It is used for around 500 hours, in excellent condition, will ship in original factory box.   With an additional $100 I can throw in Audio-gd DI-V3 usb interface with a battery power...
It is time to downsize now. I plan to use a passive preamp between my DAC and power amp, so the LD MKVI is up for sale. This is not the 'VI+' version, which means it has only balanced input and outputs (headphone + preamp). Other than that, this amp is the same as the newer '+' version (some people even think the later version used cheaper components). It's in excellent condition, minimal scratch.   At the asking price, the sale includes the amp, power cord, stock tubes...