Posts by westermac

I actually recently parted with my Mjolnir 2 as I found it overkill for my LCD-X, which I found pretty much as enjoyable from the headphone output of my audio interface (blasphemy, I know). Were I spending most of my time with the HD800 I definitely would have kept it, however. I never had a single issue with it, nor has the current owner to the best of my knowledge. I am confident that the noise was a result of a seam/joint/in the chassis creaking as it warmed or cooled....
Long story short the X plays best with powerful solid state amps, or more neutral hybrid tube amps (OTL amps excluded as mentioned previously). Many people are finding the Jotunheim to be an excellent pairing with the X, lower price point aside. I was planning on getting one myself but have been thoroughly enjoying the X through my interface's headphone amp (Apollo Twin MkII) so I decided to give a tube amp a shot and got a Project Ember II instead. The Ember isn't what I...
 I've done a lot of research into LCD-X > Amp pairings and haven't come across anything on the Crack. I'm assuming it's because OTL amps delivery very little power to low-impedance planars like the X; they're generally much better suited for high-impedance dynamics.
Yeah... lesson learned. Going to make sure of that next time
That's not my photo from earlier, this is the first 12A tube that I've tried (guess I'll have to get my hands on another to be absolutely sure). Thanks for the confirmation though, I appreciate it!   EDIT: So this is a strange development, I went back to the original eBay listing to check the sellers return policy, and to my dismay he sells all tubes as-is with no returns. For the heck of it I put the tube back in, flipped the switch and it started lighting up! Sure...
Just to clarify (I'm still new to this) the Ember II does NOT require an adapter for 12AU7/ECC82's correct? I was excited to receive a strong-testing Tektronics Telefunken 12AU7 from a well rated seller and low and behold all I get with it is a ground hum, with no music (the tube isn't lighting up either). Other tubes I've tried (6DJ8, 6922, 6FQ7, 5670) have all functioned properly, is this just a dud or is there something wrong with with my amp?   Thanks!
I'd chalk it up to either the pretty significant frequency response variations from pair to pair (meaning your pair is actually pretty different than the "average" correction curve in use) or you just prefer the sound of the LCD-X as is. I wish I did - it would save me the trouble ha. But I prefer mine with sonarworks no question.
Haha too true. I do have a 6SN7 adapter coming for a pair of Sylvania 6SN7WGTA that I have; very curious to hear those. Will try to keep my focus narrowed down to a few tube types for the forseeable future; just looked at the manual and was absolutely overwhelmed with the list of supported tubes 
Yeah, unfortunately that seems to be the case with all of my 6DJ8/6922's as well... with my 5670's the center image is perfect but with every single 6DJ8/6922 I've tried it skews to the right... not terribly, but enough to bother me. It's a shame because I was hoping to be all set with my tubes on hand, and it looks like I'll need to stick with my 5670's until I've acquired some 12AU7/12AX7. Any recommendations on more affordable ones (less than $50/each)? I have a...
Alright, so I've only been able to listen for a few hours so these are very early impressions. The only tube I've tried so far is the GE black plate 5670, and for the most part it sounds great! Good detail and soundstage, and no channel imbalance. The drawbacks for me so far with this tube in the Ember v2 (w/LCD-X) is that there seems to be a bit of peakyness or zing to the treble, maybe around 12kHz or so. This works great with some recordings back can be a bit harsh with...