Posts by revault

I've done plug replacements on Sennheiser headphones: at least on the HD428s, the three wires are red (right channel), blue (left channel) and orange (ground). Usually when i do this sort of thing I have a solder gun (one of those big, 100 watt monsters) to burn off the thread inside/take off the coating. I'm not exactly sure how to work with the wires found in these headphones in terms of stripping/soldering them to a new plug. Has anyone had any experience/luck in doing...
ah, well, i didn't think to ask more about it but i've heard naks are pretty good. if i can find one cheap is it worth picking up?
i was told that nakamichis were EQ'd wrong (and not by some average joe; a guy who's been working in hifi for over 40 years)? anyways, if i wasn't gonna to go an actual store and get one off ebay, are there any specific models? (funnily enough i have the hk3500 from around the same era, a really nice stereo receiver)
i'm looking for a cassette deck to play some tapes i have lying around, 3-head or 2-head is fine (i don't do much recording to warrant the potential added expense of a 3-head deck), preferably something late so it's still likely to be mechanically intact, should have all the regular line in/line out jacks, would like it to be a dual cassette deck with autoreverse and dolby B/C/HX, and a relay function that can play tapes back to back on both decks   any suggestions for...
i'm in the market for a new pair of headphones that I can take with my to places like the bus or publicly where noise bleed won't be too annoying (this rules out the grado sr-80i's that i would have bought). i'd like them to perform well across all genres with a neutral sound, and be on-ear or around ear, with an emphasis on comfort. i'd like them to be around 50 ohms so i could power them easily although i won't rule out higher impedance headphones because i do have a...
head-fi,   i'm looking for a DAC on the cheap side, preferably powered only by USB (a DC power brick not needed), preferably small enough to be portable or at least semi-portable (something that can fit in the palm of your hand, a desk, or a on a stack of components), and ASIO support would also be a bonus! i really only need the DAC, don't need a headphone amplifier in there. either RCA line out or 3.5mm TRS minijack would be nice. if something around 50 isn't likely,...
head-fi,   recently i dug up my tough-as-nails ipod mini. released in 2004, it uses a 4GB hard drive and has one of the popular wolfson dacs in it. is it worth replacing the 4gb hard drive with a 32gb compactflash card, and the battery with something newer/higher capacity? i'll bypass the internal amplifier and use a line out cable to feed it to my cmoy-based portable amplifier   are the costs of a CF card + a replacement battery low enough to make a modded ipod mini a...
looking on craigslist i found a person selling realistic minimus-7 speakers: four for 100, two for 50. i was thinking i would add them to augment my current speaker pair. i've heard a few things about them, but i'm not sure if they're a good buy.       so, like in the title: is paying 50 for a pair of realistic minimus 7's a good idea?
I actually started out and continue with computer audio. most of my library is in FLAC (or anything above VBR MP3, usually 320kbps), but the few things i don't like about the computer as a music source are the higher noise floor (fans and all that stuff) and fiddling with the DAC (Asus Xonar DG). I list CD-Rs because I like to be able to backup my music on this format and then play it back on a silently spinning CD player. 
head-fi,   i'm looking for a cd player. it'll be hooked up to a harman kardon hk3500 stereo receiver, which has only analog inputs, so digital outputs aren't a necessity. remote inputs/outputs would be nice (3.5mm minijack), and it's important that it be able to play CD-Rs. should i go about buying a newer CD player (my budget is sub 100), or should i go for older CD players off of places like ebay?