Posts by cskippy

Probably a long shot, but a rev.1 HE-400 might be what you're looking for.  You would have to look in the classifieds and ask which revision the seller has.  I believe the rev. 1 has black plastic on the inside covering the drivers.  To get the bass extension of the LCD-2 you pretty much need an orthodynamic headphone.
Wow!  I bought my HD650 for less than the HD800 cable...so sad.   
The first question that needs to be asked is what is your budget?  You said that you have heard a lot of high end headphones.  Which ones did you like the best?  Can you afford them?  The key to mixing with any headphone is to know your headphones inside and out.  The other important issue is to make sure that they aren't hiding details with a dip or artificially "enhancing" certain frequencies with a peak.  That is why people recomend headphones that are neutral, so they...
I'm debating whether I should get the HE-4.  I currently have HE-500 and am getting the Alpha Dogs.  IMO in stock form the HE-500's treble is to bright for me with their peak around 10kHz.  However, I am running them through a Pioneer Spec 1/2 combo with the EQ cut a bit at 10kHz.   Should I bother with the HE-4, considering that they are pretty much discontinued and are currently at an amazing price on HeadAmp?
Yeah, I checked out the manuals for both.  The Spec 1 needs to be connected to a poweramp to use the headphone output.  Here's a pic.    
So I've found myself in an unexpectedly awesome situation!  My dad had some old vintage stereo equipment tucked away after he upgraded the entertainment center.  I didn't think anything of it until I went to the AZ Head-Fi meet yesterday.  I met some truly awesome people!  Some had very expensive rigs costing several thousands of dollars while other's rigs were more modest ( myself included).  After listening to the majority of the rigs and headphones, I found myself...
Count me in!  I'm interested to see how my sound preferences compare to the reviews of a couple headphones.  It will be nice actually hearing what everyone is talking about.  I should be able to bring my Mad Dog 3.2 w Alpha Pads and might be able to bring HE-500 velours w stock cable.  
Hello fellow headfiers,   First, I would like to say thank you. I have learned so much about headphones, amps, and DACs, and am proof that the statement, “Welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet.” is an inevitability.   I have read several posts on different threads asking about the difference in sound between ¼ inch TRS and 4-pin balanced XLR. Besides the obvious volume increase, I was curious if the added power actually changed the sound in any way.   I decided...
I'm pretty sure that any volume attenuation before the D/A converters is going to be done digitally (reducing the headroom and bit depth).  However, it might be the lesser of two evils to lower your input volume on the Titanium HD so that there is no clipping.  A 1-2 dB decrease should be all you need and there shouldn't be any perceivable decrease in audio quality.
Wow!  The WS99 are fun headphones!  I fell into dsnuts' trap.     They are great as a portable headphone.  Although amping them widens the sound stage and tightens up the bass, IMO it's not needed.  Coming from DT880s and Mad Dogs 3.2 with Alpha Pads these beat on your head like a gorilla banging a trash can.  However, mids are suprisingly clear and the treble is smooth and non fatiguing.     I had issues with my ears hitting the drivers and my ears hitting just...