Posts by Gnafu the Great

I usually hate posting more than once in a row, but this is way more than an edit of my last post and I figure this thread can use a bump.  Here goes...   I went on a trip to Mississippi (I live in Wisconsin): flew down Monday, flew back Wednesday.  Three flights each way.  Few hours in airports.  I decided to bring the XPT100s with just the angled pads.  For the first part of Monday, I wore them with the thicker sides of the pads behind my ears.  It did work fairly...
I've had these for about 2 weeks now, and I love 'em!  I don't think you can go wrong for $100.  It's everything I was looking for as an upgrade to my 8323s: way more soundstage, cleaner bass (certainly not bass heavy in any way like the 8323s, but there is none of the distortion that I could hear with really low tones with the 8323s; it's just plain sharper when it comes to bass, and it feels closer to the intended original mix), better comfort, while still having a...
  Wait, are you saying you bought some Beats knockoffs for $0.50, or you listened to 50 Cent's celebrity 'phones? 
The only things I know about Austrians vs. Germans comes from the Sound of Music . Fitting, I guess, when you consider the forum .
I'm right there with you with regard to Monoprice.  So many great deals; almost all of my speakers and cables are from them, along with a pair of 8323s!  All the new 8-driver headphones started shipping within the last couple weeks, as far as I could tell.  They've been listed for a month or so, but you couldn't order them 'til around 7/5.  I was hesitant to pull the trigger without seeing some reviews on Head-Fi, and so I haven't ordered a pair.  I just recently bought...
It might also help to know what you consider "really high end".  It might be that what you consider high end includes a huge range of headphones that don't require amps, or your idea of high end may only include ones that really need an amp.  Do you have a price range in mind, or a certain style?   EDIT:   (I realize you mention Grados and IEMs, so you must not only be thinking about LCD-3 and Abyss type stuff :-D.)
Relative merit of the article aside, I love this bit at the end:   "When the LCD3s first arrived, I plugged them in to make sure they survived the shipping. I ended up lying down right there on the floor and listening to music for over an hour."   That, to me, speaks volumes.  There's something about getting a new toy in the mail that's exciting all in itself.  But when it makes you drop whatever else you were going to do and just enjoy it right there on the...
I have an old pair of Realistic Nova 10s that sound just awful.  Not sure if it's because they sat in someone's dirty garage for many years before I got 'em, or if they always sounded that bad (I know a lot of headphones from those days were pretty bad).  I have some Nova 40s that aren't too bad if you can live without bass ;-).   I've also owned some terrible throw-in earbuds and on-ears that always sound so tinny.   EDIT:   Moved this down here, as I forgot...
I just joined today, but I've been lurking for months now.  The reason I decided to finally join was because today marked the arrival of my new pair of NVX XPT100s :-D.  For some reason a few months ago, I got the headphone bug and started digging into sub-$50 bang-for-the-buck offerings.  Needless to say, I've spent a lot of time reading on Head-Fi XD.   I listened to my friend's very expensive pair of Beats Pros at work, and I said to myself, Self, these sound...