Posts by TenMoonsNorth

Sold
If you expect it to sound bad then it will probably sound bad.   Someone hears plenty of people saying that EQ makes the sound worse and they either parrot that or try it out themselves under the expectation that it will sound worse and unsurprisingly it sounds worse. That is expectation bias.
Price drop.
Sold.
Sold
Parametric EQ --> ODAC --> Objective2 ---> Senheiser HD800s   That's a better reference setup and not uber expensive. Still I'm not surprised you find the K812s good if your previous headphones was some DT880 32ohm headphones. Still for 1100 euros I would buy some HD800s used, buy an amplifier and DAC and still have a little money to spare.   I just do not see the K812s as viable reference headphones when compared to the HD800s.
As always pre-release hype should be balanced. The reduced weight is a good thing but there is more to comfort than being lightweight as light headphones with vice-like clamping are not comfortable. The Stax comment should be taken with a grain of salt. The headband is goofy but open headphones are for home listening, so the public won't see the goofy cybermen-like appearance, nor your families laughter at you. I personally don't care about goofy if it makes them more...
The point I'm making is that it is ok to find the HD800s sterile, bright and lacking euphony because this is how they sound when using "wire with gain" equipment. They are what I'd consider "true reference" headphones in that though they have too much treble without EQ, they didn't compromise on their design so it matches peoples subjective tastes. Whether a reference headphone sounds good is irrelevant to the design goals of a reference headphone. Reference headphones are...
I think some people have been deluding themselves into thinking the HD800s need an expensive amplifier. They don't and you only think they do because of the bias many here have to preferring slightly elevated bass and slightly de-emphasised smooth treble. The HD800s are not euphonic  because they are reference headphones which have a different goal in mind.   I'm incredibly sceptical of the "new generation of headphones". The Beats market is in the <$400 range, closed...
The rules were clearly defined at the start of the presentation.   The rules are designed around the goal of being Flagship Level Reference Headphones, rather than headphones you enjoy the sound of. Of course some of the headphones did poorly because they weren't designed to be Flagship Level Reference Headphones, some of them did poorly and they were meant to be Flagship Level Reference Headphones.