Posts by scatteredshadows

Thanks for the tip. I'd not been considering the Westone 2 because I assumed it was a bit out of my price range. It looks like it's being discontinued or updated, so I guess they are being cleared out. I think it's definitely my prime contender right now.    After doing a little more reading, I've narrowed the options to the following in order of current preference, with the best price I could find from a US supplier: Westone 2 - $180 VSonic GR07 - $180 VSonic GR01...
Quick Summary: - IEM - $100 to 200 preferred price - have tried Yamaha EPH-100 (uncomfortable) and Shure SE-215 (dark, slow) - for active use, usually with an unamped LG Optimus G playing FLACs and 256kbps+ VBR MP3s   Priorities: 1. balanced, precise, responsive sound, good with many genres 2. build quality/reliability of brand/access to service in the US 3. comfort 4. isolation less important     Looking for a new, mid level IEM that I can use when I'm...
Of the sets you're considering, my experience is limited to the Yamaha EPH-100. With that in mind, I wholeheartedly advise against them. The sound quality is fine, but they are far from being a bass powerhouse.     More critically, it really doesn't matter how good they sound if you can't wear them. Mine are completely out of service right now because I lost an ear tip. With most sets, no problem. Buy OEM replacements or from a third party supplier. But with the Yamaha,...
Among other genres, I listen to a lot of post-rock, drone, IDM, ambient, minimal techno and other associated genres ( http://www.last.fm/user/scatteredshadow/charts?rangetype=overall&subtype=artists ). I've also just replaced a set of two year old SE-215's that were murdered by an errant foot, with the Yamaha EPH-100's.   To be honest, I haven't found either one to be ideal, although they are both good performers in different respects. Both models are pretty well...
My price range is flexible downwards but I want to stick as close to $150 as possible on the upper end. I have some higher end headphones and IEMs for careful listening and quiet environments, so these mainly will be used at the gym, when doing housework or other more physical activities where I want something light, that fits well and can handle some sweat and cord strain. These will be used with a Samsung Galaxy S, or early next year, a similar new Android...
  I've tried to search on this topic, but doing so has yielded a fragmented impression of the issue. Apologies if this has been covered in depth somewhere, I did spend time researching but wasn't able to come up with a full answer. Plus, my experience with headphone amps is nonexistent. Basically I need to definitively confirm whether it is possible to directly connect a phone with a micro-USB port to a portable DAC/amp.   Now, I have a Cowon S9 that is capable of...
The wiring in the plug stem of my Sennheiser PX100 'phones finally broke, so now I need a replacement set for working out. I'm not averse to buying another pair of PX 100s, but first I wanted to look around to see if there are any other contenders.    The main criteria for these headphones are:   Size comparable to Sennheiser PX100 Relatively light. Can be a bit heavier but not too much Can be taken off easily (unlike IEMs), but stay in place when...
Quote: Originally Posted by greatfool To me a characteristic E4c moment was standing in a noisy crowded train and hearing no outside noise -feeling like I was in one of those movie scenes where you hear just the music and no other sound. Exactly! Yesterday was the first day I was able to wear my e4's while commuting to and from work. It was just me and my music. I felt so much more engaged to the music than I've been in a long time, because I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jasper994 I do highly recommend using the foam sleeves with the E4. I feel that they give vastly superior performance to the rest of the included sleeves. I just posted about this on another thread. I could not agree with you more! The foam sleeves saved my e4 experience, since I was considering whether I should return them after trying the triple flange, flex and soft flex sleeves with terrible to slightly...