or Connect

Posts by scatteredshadows

Thanks for the replies! After assessing my options, I've come to the conclusion that the prevalence of fakes is too big of a risk, so I'm going to buy a different product. If I were still living in the US, I'd probably take the chance. However, the markup on pretty much any headphone here in Brazil is at least 200% over the exchange rate, consumer protections are weaker and shipping usually takes longer. I don't want to be still looking for another set of headphones in a...
Good evening Head-Fi-ers!   I've been looking for a new set of IEMs to use for exercise and situations where I don't want to risk my better IEMs (the Westone 2 I've learned is very sensitive to moisture, for example). Does anyone have any experience using the LG Quadbeat for working out?   I was about to get some Xiaomi Piston 3s, until I found out that fakes are rampant. Of inexpensive IEMs that I can buy here in Brazil, the Quadbeat 3 seems to be my best option. The...
Is there any consensus about whether fakes are as common with the Piston 3 'Colorful' as the original Piston 3? I'm able to get the original model and the 'Colorful' versions on a local marketplace site here in Brazil, but I'd like to increase my odds of not having the hassle of getting and then trying to return fakes. I'd prefer plain black, but I prefer a genuine product more!   Also, ljokerl's review judges the build quality to be solid (considering the pricepoint)....
Good evening Head-Fi-ers ...   A couple years back, my family moved to Brazil. From arrival until yesterday, my small headphone collection was able to fill all my needs, so I've had no need to explore the domestic selection. Yesterday though, my only remaining pair of headphones fit for exercise fizzled out.   Looking at every electronics and general merchandise site I could think of here, I'm a bit surprised at the lack of availability of the more highly regarded...
Thanks for the tip. I'd not been considering the Westone 2 because I assumed it was a bit out of my price range. It looks like it's being discontinued or updated, so I guess they are being cleared out. I think it's definitely my prime contender right now.    After doing a little more reading, I've narrowed the options to the following in order of current preference, with the best price I could find from a US supplier: Westone 2 - $180 VSonic GR07 - $180 VSonic GR01...
Quick Summary: - IEM - $100 to 200 preferred price - have tried Yamaha EPH-100 (uncomfortable) and Shure SE-215 (dark, slow) - for active use, usually with an unamped LG Optimus G playing FLACs and 256kbps+ VBR MP3s   Priorities: 1. balanced, precise, responsive sound, good with many genres 2. build quality/reliability of brand/access to service in the US 3. comfort 4. isolation less important     Looking for a new, mid level IEM that I can use when I'm...
Of the sets you're considering, my experience is limited to the Yamaha EPH-100. With that in mind, I wholeheartedly advise against them. The sound quality is fine, but they are far from being a bass powerhouse.     More critically, it really doesn't matter how good they sound if you can't wear them. Mine are completely out of service right now because I lost an ear tip. With most sets, no problem. Buy OEM replacements or from a third party supplier. But with the Yamaha,...
Among other genres, I listen to a lot of post-rock, drone, IDM, ambient, minimal techno and other associated genres ( http://www.last.fm/user/scatteredshadow/charts?rangetype=overall&subtype=artists ). I've also just replaced a set of two year old SE-215's that were murdered by an errant foot, with the Yamaha EPH-100's.   To be honest, I haven't found either one to be ideal, although they are both good performers in different respects. Both models are pretty well...
My price range is flexible downwards but I want to stick as close to $150 as possible on the upper end. I have some higher end headphones and IEMs for careful listening and quiet environments, so these mainly will be used at the gym, when doing housework or other more physical activities where I want something light, that fits well and can handle some sweat and cord strain. These will be used with a Samsung Galaxy S, or early next year, a similar new Android...
  I've tried to search on this topic, but doing so has yielded a fragmented impression of the issue. Apologies if this has been covered in depth somewhere, I did spend time researching but wasn't able to come up with a full answer. Plus, my experience with headphone amps is nonexistent. Basically I need to definitively confirm whether it is possible to directly connect a phone with a micro-USB port to a portable DAC/amp.   Now, I have a Cowon S9 that is capable of...