Posts by robrob

Yes, a 10 ohm 1 watt resistor connected across the speaker posts will show the amp an approximately 8 ohm load and keep it happy. At only 12w per channel you may not need any attenuation resistors at all. I recommend you try a direct connection first and see if you hear any hiss. If you do have hiss you want to reduce then I recommend this configuration: a 7 ohm 5 watt R2 and a 1 ohm 3 watt R3. Going higher on the wattage ratings is ok. 
It comes out from the wire side. These are my K240s after I pressed the old 3-pin plug out:       My detailed how-to is here: http://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneMods.htm#K240 Balanced Mod
The Wiki article mentions that a designer can use the magnetic damping force created by Back EMF (electromotive force or more commonly voltage) to actually add control of the voice coil and cone. With no Back EMF the movement of the coil and cone can 'overshoot' and cause distortion. The damping can be thought of as a 'shock absorber' for the speaker cone. With the right amount of Back EMF damping an amp will sound better than with none at all but changing the Back EMF...
Nice work on the cable Jason.
Sonic D, Unless someone has tried your headphones with your amp you'll just have to hook them up and give it a try. Just have the volume knob at zero and turn it up slowly and decide if you like it. You may hear some hiss since it's a powerful amp but only you can decide if it's acceptable. If it isn't you could add a resistor network to attenuate the amp's output or simply give up on that amp.
Silver, we are not using the 'headphone stage.' This thread is about connecting headphones directly or through a resistor network to a speaker amp's speaker terminals.
If it upsamples everything why does the DAC have all the lights showing the bit rate? Anyway discerning upsampling 'noise' is beyond my ears capability.
 I totally agree. To really appreciate the DAC you need to hear it connected to a nice amp.
 Sorry, I thought it was 100 per channel. Then the box should work fine.
The only problem is that box is only rated for 50w per channel so you'd limit your max volume for your speakers.