or Connect

Posts by sq3rjick

I am in.
Congrats!
I am happy to report that I was able to do a full system backup via nandroid in TWRP. For me, flashing is a breeze, and as long as you don't have full disk encryption turned on TWRP fully supports the system. It also gives you root adb shell, so that should provide us with another avenue of obtaining root even after system updates, and should let us get around installing king root as a preferred method. Once I get the encryption issue sorted out in TWRP, I will probably...
In other news, it looks like the Onkyo engineers are now aware of the distortion issue in 3rd party apps and are working to fix it.   http://forums.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9368
In that case, if you have done all of the above and can connect via ADB but not fastboot, I might suggest looking for a linux or Mac machine to do the install until the reason for the device not being available can be sorted out.
If you have never connected to ADB before, you may want to a quick few things:   1. Boot into the DP-X1 as normal.   2. Go to device information in the settings app   3. Click on the build number 7 times to become a developer.   4. Open up the developer options menu that appears in the root settings menu.   5.  Enable USB debugging.   6. Attempt to connect to the device over ADB.   7. You should be prompted if you want to trust this computer.  Select yes, and...
Try typing the commands in the .bat file manually.  Also, "power + next" should take you to recovery, while "power + prev" should take you to the forever-penguin download mode where fastboot works.   I've been doing all of this on a Mac, though, so I don't know specifically about windows issues.
 You could theoretically pull the existing stock recovery and overwrite it back.  In that case, yes, it's reversible.  In the current state, without anybody having pulled the contents of stock recovery, it wouldn't be.  I certainly didn't think to grab it before I pushed TWRP. You can always use fastboot to push a new recovery partition, so even if you push one over that is broken, you can always get into fastboot mode and send over a good recovery.  As it stands, though,...
So, I loaded this TWRP and found one issue (seems to be a TWRP issue, and not an implementation issue).  If your system is encrypted (mine is pattern-encrypted) the TWRP won't be able to properly decrypt it, even with the correct pattern.   This is likely a bug that will be resolved.  If you have encrypted your device (like me), the only way to remove encryption is to backup your data and completely wipe the device, and then restore your backup.
Custom recovery partition.  Useful for recovering your device if you break it when rooting.  Also allows for system-level software backups.  If you don't know why you might want it, I would definitely stay away.