Posts by Uncle Erik

Books!     You don't have to buy electronics.
Thanks!  I might give Birdie a big tree/condo to enjoy, but I'll probably DIY it once the shop is together.  I just want a little hideout that will be cozy with bosdy heat during the cold winters here.   I haven't had a cord issue with Mai Tai or Birdie.  They're exceptionally well-behaved.  Mai Tai showed a little interest in the HD-800 cable, but I kept diverting her to actual cat toys and she "got" the message.  If your cat shows interest, get it a few toys and...
The vitamin recommendation makes me skeptical.   Though I am not a medical professional.   How about a second opinion?  If you keep the listening level low, how could that harm your hearing?  Again, I know almost nothing about medicine.
The Qualia and R10 are great headphones.   But I also think highly of the MDR-SA5000 and MDR-7509HD.  Not quite the same level of performance, but still very good headphones.   For the record, I'm still unhappy with Sony for dumping on SACD.
I've considered putting the cat on a raw food diet.  Still might, but she gets Iams and Fancy Feast wet food.  I also share chicken with her once or twice a week when I eat it.  Thing is, my family and I have had a number of cats who live 15-20 years and eat regular cat food.  It seems that adequate food, plenty of water, shelter, and occasional vet visits keep them going.   If everyone can keep a secret, I'm planning to buy Birdie some kind of kitty condo for...
Yes.  Do you have a DMM?  Use it to check for continuity.  You can find them for $5 at Harbor Freight.   Most likely, you have a bad solder joint inside the cup.  Touch it up with a soldering iron and it'll be like new.  
Thanks!  I'll give Flyin' Miata a look!   I've been poking around and the NAs seem plentiful between LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, and Phoenix, all of which are fairly close.   I'd rather get one that needs some wrenching, anyway.  Not one with extensive mods or has been raced, but something to poke at over a couple of years.   I've done some minor repairs and bodywork, but I'd like to really sort through a car.  I'd like to replace a clutch, rebuild a front end, and...
The distance doesn't matter much, unless you get into long distances.  Nothing inside a living room would be that long.   What you want to do is plug the headphones into a good amp for them.  If the Sony's internal amp isn't powerful enough, it isn't going to sound good.
Just catching up on this thread.   First, CARB is awful.  They pulled me over at a mobile smog station once, when I had the RX-7.  This was about a week after I had it smogged.  I handed the guy my smog certificate and said that I wasn't going to comply with a test.  He wasn't happy, but backed down and let me go.  The car was dead stock, anyway.   I'm glad to register in Arizona now.  No smog down here.  As soon as the warranty is up, I might ditch the atalytic...
The issue with Stax headphones is that they're electrostats.  Electrostats have two stators with a thin diaphragm stretched between them.   You have to put a good amount of power on the stators for them to work.  A few hundred volts for headphones and the electrostat speakers will put a few thousand on them.     Soyou have to have an amp that can charge the stators.  A computer soundcard is not designed to do that.  Speakers have the stator supply built into...