Posts by perhapss

Yes I've heard several.No I haven't heard the Herrick you mention here.     ".....playing is very "Bach....." " Curious what this means..... I grew up with Walcha's recordings and my mother was a very accomplished organist so I'm biased.I tend to hear something interesting (one way or another) and new in every performance of Bach's organ music so I keep listening and learning.... I don't listen too often though.At the right time there is nothing better.Often, at those...
 Agreed. Unfortunately real activity between humans in real time and space TOGETHER has suffered IMO.I'm still much happier than I was 20 years ago though....
Speaking of Bohm and first boxsets;   His Mozart Symphony set was the first Mozart collection I got(some time ago) and it still may me my favorite collection of Mozart symphonies.
 Never underestimate the power of relativity.  ​
 These are the recordings I first heard of those pieces Left a real impression.
  " I saved up my meagre college pennies and bought it and wore the damn thing out." Yes Yes and YES.Fully understood. Today's music obtaining culture can't appreciate what collecting music (by those who were not financially endowed) used to mean here.I remember just getting good records, especially at times I lived away from major cities, could pose real logistical issues.And much $.    "I love the memory, but I don't love vinyl any more. I have over 15,000 records in my...
 Interestingly enough, digital issues of many (and a great deal more) of these wonderful recordings have made it easier for everyone (including me) to discover/re-discover many treasures indeed!!
  Not a bad start at all. My very first classical cd box sets were(bought at the same time):  and....   My first LP box set was...    Your post indicating the adjective "first" got me nostalgic.For me, once upon a time, vinyl records were the gateway into "lived in a dream for days, maybe weeks". Vinyl box sets (like this one) of the 60s and 70s were treasures to me. The ritual of the record store and the apprehension of the PHYSICAL product and where it came from and the...
        This movie was my first introduction to Takemitsu's music.   It's probably familiar to those of you who are familiar with classic Japanese cinema but to those who are not be forwarned; This movie proceeds SLOWLY.Many folks consider it to be one of the greatest Japanese films of it's time however.   Takemitsu did lots of film work over his career and this score is his most distinctive IMO.
 I never really warmed completely to Birtwistle's music but he's certainly been a major figure of British contemporary music for some time. Another comparable composer of the Ligeti/Carter generation would be Helmut Lachenmann.Much of his music is beautifully represented on the Kairos record label for anyone interested in this sort of thing.