Posts by perhapss

Thanks for the input.I`m not trying to imply that he`s lying or anything I just found the claim curious.
Howdy all,   There is a guy selling some hd600s in the for sale thread and he states that the hd600 is no longer made in Ireland.I have not heard this before nor can any find any info to support this claim.Is this true?
IMO there are many contradictions regarding east and west with Czech culture.Despite their hostility toward being regarded as "Eastern Europe" there are some real "Eastern" influences.A Slavic based language for example. At the same time, There can be hostility toward things "West". Especially regarding Germany.Smetana himself was often critical of Dvorak`s music for it`s adherence to German forms and influence. These contradictions are a result of centuries of...
Most Czechs consider themselves to be in Central Europe and identify themselves culturally as such.Trust me, I'm half Czech and half German and have lived in both countries.At the very least, every Bohemian I've ever met was hostile at the suggestion of them being of the "East".  American's(and their Canadian neighbors) often mistake Eastern European culture due to the Soviet controlled "Eastern Block".Historically, there are far deeper implications. Incidentally,take a...
Please remember,Despite what you may have been told, CZ is in Central Europe.Use Eastern Europe in reference to CZ to any Czech and you will be promptly corrected. Really enjoy the Smetana Quartet.You can't go wrong with their recordings of Czech music.
Definitely get his 9th.it's truly enlightening IMO. The others are good but not the same quality.
Despite Mr. Bernstein's role in popularizing Mahler's music, He often bores me.I'd even take Boulez' Mahler over Bernstein for the most part . That being said, his 3rd on DG was my introduction to Mahler and I found it quite compelling.
Gielen's 9th is something special indeed.I posted it a while back and no-one commented.I find it among the most insightful and dedicated recordings of this masterpiece.The other symphonies he's recorded solidly as well but his 9th is amazing. Gielen's an interesting guy and completely neglected in this thread. His output stresses difficult modern music in prolific abundance. Admittedly there is inconsistency in his work but....
And I haven't seen my wife for 2 months....
I don't even eat bread these days.