or Connect

Posts by senorx12562

The reason I made the prediction is, well you said as much re the junior, but your write up of the TOTALdac left me with such a feeling of unfinished business and unrealized potential that I could understand you wanting to examine it further. Maybe a little projection on my part too, as I can see myself buying something like that just because it is so different, especially as you already have the yggy and others including theoretically the jr. Also see the difficulty with...
I predict a ds jr. and a 2nd attempt at the TOTALdac are in your future somewhere.
Sorry man, thought it was worth a shot. Think you will really like the end result though.
I am curious where you read that, as maybe I should take a second look at my settings. Don't want to change anything I'm not intending to, don't ya know.
The record out is an analog line level out, thus you just plug one end of each rca cable (one right, one left, usually red and white) into each of the bottom rca outs (labeled md/cd-r out in the audio out section on the back panel just right of the coaxial in) and the other ends into the corresponding input jacks on the polaris. You need nothing else. The line outs on the polaris are only used if you wanted to use the polaris as a preamp to another device, presumably a...
This. In fact, you didn't mention the setting for input attenuation you are using, but i would try the A mode, if you're not already, to see if you can get a little higher on the volume knob to avoid potential channel imbalance.
Wouldn't this kind of defeat the purpose of a stand alone hp amp though, seeing as how this would pass the signal through the headphone amp of the receiver, including all the attendant circuitry and switches? I assumed the point was to upgrade from that.
Nice review as always Mark. I agree with you on the looks. Meself, I would go for walnut and silver (white gets too grody looking, and the gold hardware would make me feel like an idiot), but they are the best looking 'phones to come out in a while, imo. Yours is the first review I've seen to take the view of the treble that you do. As you say, maybe it is your particular sensitivity. I entered a contest to win a pair, so maybe I will find out for myself. Thanks for the...
What you need is a line-level analog out, which is essentially what the record out typically is. That should also mean that the volume will not be variable, so you will use the polaris volume control for headphone listening. If you decide a new dac is in order, at that price I would definitely go with the modi 2 uber over the Odac. Let us know how it turns out.
Contrary to the implications of what vapman said, you can't say a dac is "trash" just because of the chip it uses. If you are happy with the sound from the Yamaha, you should try to use it first if you don't want to spend money for an outboard dac. As to his advice re getting a signal to the polaris, i don't know what the hell he is talking about. I still think you can make it work by using the md/cd-r out jacks with rca cables to the polaris' in jacks. While I believe...