or Connect

Posts by AustinValentine

I've heard a pretty large number of vintage and modern R2R DACs. I've also heard my fair share of D-S DACs at this point. FWIW, IMO: I feel like a good way to put it is that well implemented* R2R can sound better than well-implemented D-S. In most situations I've encountered, a well-implemented R2R DAC will have better tonal density, more natural treble rendering (lacking any sort of etch or hardness), and overall timbre that seems more realistic than in the best D-S...
 The Valhalla 2 doesn't really have much of anything in common with the Valhalla 1. It's a significant leap in quality across the board.  (As an added bonus, the stock tubes in the Val 2 are also quite good.)
 I was going to mention something similar. It seems to me that the JDS Element is the bottleneck in that setup. 
 The HD650 routinely comes down into the near-$300 range new throughout the year - or at least it has the past couple of years. Buysonic had it at that price just two weeks ago. Sonic Electronix had it for $315 numerous times last year. These deals tend to go on for long durations as well. Sometimes for weeks. It actually seems like sometimes Sennheiser unofficially relaxes their price controls to help vendors clear out excess inventory. LCD-2 deals are far less frequent....
 As if responding to your request directly: a write-up on the event just went up on InnerFidelity.
As the listing says, up for sale is one Beyerdynamic DT1350 with a straight cable. I purchased them last week to see if my new eyeglasses could work with them as far as ergonomics and fit goes.   The bad news is: my new glasses still keep these from being comfortable. ;_;  But they sound so good.    The good news is: someone is going to get a good deal on some DT1350s!     The headphones are LNIB (purchased Beyerdynamic refurbished, I don't believe they were ever...
 It might just be the photo, but that casing looks quite a bit better than the ones on the previous prototypes I've seen. 
 Well, LH production timelines are more of a "guideline" than an actual shipping schedule.  I'm a very early batch 1 V2+ order and I haven't seen one yet. Will definitely chime in when/if it arrives. 
Up for sale is one Denon DA-500, a vintage R2R DAC from the 1990s. This unit uses 2x PCM1702-J chips and has the really natural, analog-ish sound that vintage R2Rs are famous for. I've had this one for about a year and a half and it has done very commendable service in a living room speaker rig during that time. I'm moving over to a bluetooth setup though (using a Riva Turbo X due to size constraints), so its time for this guy to find a new home.    One of the cool...
 IMO, YMMV, etc. etc. Personally, I find 3 out of the 5 DACs that you've listed worse than the Delta-Sigma Gungnir let alone the Gumby (GMB). The X-Sabre and the D-S Gungnir are pretty comparable and I liked the Pulse X-Fi (and Pulse Infinity) a bit more than the D-S Gungnir. The Pulse units are by far and away the best Sabre implementations I've ever heard. (If I were shopping for an all-in-one unit around $1000, I'd probably buy a Pulse X-Fi + LPS and be done with it.) I...