Posts by AustinValentine

There are lots of great DACs that use both. A number of very good vintage DACs from Spectral, Sonic Frontiers/Assemblage, Classe, Krell, and Parasound use PMD100. On the other hand, fantastic vintage DACs from Linn, Monarchy, and the Sonic Frontiers TransDAC all use DF1700P. I'm not sure I could say that one is any better than the other. I think this is one of the reasons that people pick by input/output when buying Adcoms instead of the specific chips, etc. Probably not...
The bigger difference between the GDA-600 and the GDA-700 are the digital filters used. The 600 uses a DF1700P and the 700 uses a PMD100. This will likely have a bigger impact on the sound than the difference between PCM63 and PCM1702.    Honestly: I think most people decide between them based on if they care that much about balanced output or not. Both of them are fantastic units. 
 While I can't speak specifically to how that DAC sounds, I can note one thing: That Parasound Zdac is a multi-bit Delta-Sigma design (AD1853). It's likely a bit of a different animal compared to the r2r DAC's that have been under discussion. The Parasound DACs that use Burr-Brown/Ultra Analog chips are the 1000, 1100HD, 1500, 1600HD, and 2000. 2000 uses Ultra Analog 20400A and is generally a bit pricier than the others in that series. IMO, YMMV, etc. - but I think that...
 Yep, Monarchy r2r's can be solid, for sure. While there isn't really a direct 1:1 alternative for the Moffat-filtered/Motorola DSP'ed Thetas, there are other really solid vintage models brands and models. Obviously, the offerings by Linn Numerik, Krell, Wadia, and Mark Levinson that use Ultra Analog/PCM63/1702/1704 all already command a premium. Beyond those - and in some cases above those - my favorite vintage r2r's come from Sonic Frontiers, Parasound, and Adcom. I...
Balanced input, single-ended output only. They do apparently have a balanced amp in development though, but it might not make it to the U.S.   - A
Up for sale is one Gustard H10 amplifier. I bought this from the recent Massdrop drop and it arrived at my house a few days ago.   Fantastic amplifier - it deserves the attention that it's getting on the forums. Excellent sounding and built like a tank. Would be spectacular with either some hard-to-drive orthos or an HD650 in particular. The amp has a very clean, spacious sound.   Price includes Paypal fees and CONUS priority shipping. Will pack it in the same box and...
 (I don't work for Schiit and I'm not affiliated with them in anyway so take what I have to say re; their business with a grain of salt. I only know them from audio forums and haven't even met them IRL. The only Schiit product I currently own is the Wyrd.) It's good that you've become a brand loyal customer by a second hand purchase. You made a sensible purchase based on your finances and got a good product for the money. But with regard to doing the upgrade at the same...
 Schiit isn't trying to get other people to sell schiit - they're not Herbalife. Schiit wants to sell schiit, which is understandable because it's Schiit's schiit. The resale market generally competes against the direct market manufacturer for sales. If someone is going to buy a Schiit product, choosing to buy it used actually takes a new sale away from the company. So the cost of "driving down the value of the original purchase" only comes from the lowered value of the...
   But yes, either way it's a **** move.
 I found that the Coax input on the Theta sounds ever so slightly better to my ears over the Optical. IMO skip on the better toslink cable and just pick up a well built Coaxial cable with for the U12.    Thanks for the confirm on the filter and the higher output Mike! Jason mentioned the PCM67 cost cutting over in the Schiit Happened thread last summer. http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/1350#post_10629409  When...