Posts by imagic

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it to this meet because I caught a cold. My apologies, I was really looking forward to it.   Mark
I am absolutely interested in attending. I have a system that consists of a Vaio laptop with a Roland Quad-capture interface. I also have a Pioneer AVR with a Can Opener. I'll bring AKG K701, Pioneer SE-A1000, Creative CAL!, and Sony MDR-1R headphones. It's entirely possible that I'll add an item or two before the meet. Looking forward to attending my first Head-fi event.   Nice studio BTW.   Mark   Mark Henninger www.imagicdigital.com Newsbreaker - AVS Forum
I just want to share where I am at when it comes to listening to the SE-A1000. Because I am using the Can Opener, I can treat my headphones like a pair of speakers—and that includes programming a crossover and adding a sub. It even allows for "faking" the speaker distance settings, in order to time-align the sub with the headphones. Anyone care to guess how the SE-A1000 sounds when you add a subwoofer?  The fact that the SE-A1000 doesn't attenuate outside sounds at...
I get better performance from the Can Opener when I pair it with my Crown XTi-1000. With the AVR, the difference is not pronounced. Although that last picture with the Pioneer is also current, right now I'm using the Can Opener in conjunction with the Roland Quad-Capture and the Crown. It benefits from balanced interconnects, and the Roland provides an internal clock as well as regenerated USB power—effectively isolating it from my PC. The sound is profound and this is...
Here it is... 
Yes, right here
Then your "books" are still based on assumptions, despite your claim that you "measure, listen, then decide." Just sayin'
Beats are not longer made by Monster and if you listen to the Monster Inspire headphones (in passive mode) you'd realize you are mistaken to dismiss the company so readily. I know I did, but after listening to the Inspire the company has my grudging respect. Beats are what they are, a running joke. I would 100% expect flat response to be an engineering goal and a marketing theme for most high-end gear.
You blew away Klipsh at 1/10 the price—that's awesome and I agree DIY offers tremendous value; I've built my own speakers as well, and I know from experience that well-designed DIY speakers kick ass, compared to many commercial offerings. That's why I said neutrality was not the goal of most manufacturers. If you want to restrict that claim to pro gear and high-end gear then of course I would agree, flat response is the goal. But what's sold in most stores is not pro...
Speak for yourself, don't assume you know everything, especially what experience someone else might have that would lead them to a different conclusion than your own. By the way, did you know that a speaker, or a headphone, can sound like crap and measure flat? Can you prove your assertion that most companies actually aim for ruler-flat response? I'd say most companies sculpt the FR curve from model-to-model, in order to satisfy some target market, from typically bass-shy...