Posts by Sonido

Heh you should have kept it $5XX as a teaser On a different note, I want to hear the HD700 sound again and compare to the HD800 through the Bakoon amp current mode. The HD800 sounds so much darker and has a larger bass presence. I'd imagine it similar to the HD700 sound without the treble issues. In fact, any treble complaints on the HD800 are gone through this amp. Of course, it deviates from the "pure" HD800 sound.
Just threads where mods and tattlers don't sub to  Still I guess he was rather overt about it.
I have to say I like what the HPA-01 current mode does to my Shure SRH1540 more so than the HD800 so far. The Shure has a pretty flat impedance curve as well, and is low impedance and closed-back. The frequency graph is quite similar to the TH900. Perhaps that's why I find it to synergize so well?
About the PM-1?
Probably out of budget for most people here, but I got the Bakoon HPA-01 amp and its current mode output is quite something else with the SRH1540. Even better than through my reference Questyle CMA800R amp. This combo really seem bring out a new dimension to these headphones.
 Well a brief glance at classifieds showed someone recently looking for direct trade with Shure SE846, which can be gotten for $800 new, and he didn't mention new or used. Also his pair came aftermarket cables. Anyways not to rain on your parade, it's a great deal! Haha it's probably more of me trying to convince myself why not to get. I definitely can't afford it right now with the recent Bakoon purchase . What amp are you gonna use to drive it, or just gonna get it first...
Tempting as I just recently got a Bakoon HPA-01 amp that could drive it well. Still with further thought a used pair shouldn't be too difficult to acquire for about $100 more maybe.
So the Bakoon HPA-01 I ordered a while back came in today. This is a special amp because it output current gain, rather than voltage gain like pretty much every other amp. Because of current rather than voltage output, the amount of amplification is directly influenced by the impedance. For headphones with flat impedance curves like planars, it wouldn't be much different than traditional voltage amps, but for headphones that do not have a flat impedance like the HD800,...
After some listening with the HD800, and comparing with the Questyle CMA800R, I have made the following observations (vs. Bakoon HPA-01):   The Questyle has a very neutral sound with the HD800, so it plays off the brighter leaning sound of the HD800. Trebly, sometimes strident. The mids are quite forward or intimate, with a definite layered imaging of various instruments. The Bakoon on voltage mode sounds quite generic for the HD800. Perhaps less trebly compared to the...
FYI the SRH1540 has a pretty flat impedance curve. We'll see how it reacts to something not flat like the HD800 tonight.