Posts by DW999

I don't know if this helps, but I tried the AK10 with HD800's the other day. I thought it lacked the power to push the HD800.  Max volume is like listening to IEM's at 50% volume.
My original estimate for the cost of the unit included the Apple components.  Apple does not charge money to join MFi program, but rather collects royalties per item sold.  The costs stands for less than 2% of the unit cost at the retail side.  So its not as much as you are thinking. What retailers discount their products to has little effect on the per unit profits at the wholesale level.  Retailers can cut each others throats on pricing all they want, but iRiver still...
http://akihabaranews.com/2013/10/27/article-en/dda-l10rcbk-new-lightning-headphone-amplifier-remote-control-iphone-2102993618   I have also seen a few others.
I wouldn't say that the AK10 is the cheapest DAC/AMP.  I believe I have seen some that are significantly cheaper than this.  But I would say that its the cheapest that uses high end solutions and has a nicely designed housing.   GoSUV, A&K CAN charge whatever they want for it, but I believe what it boils down to in this case is perception of value.  I feel that the AK10 is not quite worth what they are asking.   While it does sound great, its far from spectacular.  I...
In my opinion, EVERYTHING in HiFi industry is overpriced.  That's because companies know they can get us to pay for it.   I work in manufacturing, specifically accessories for consumer electronics and can make a few educated guesses on the actual costs of these devices.   The AK10 BOM cost shouldn't cost more than 20 USD to manufacture and should have a ex-factory price of 22-25 USD.    Standard industry pricing is to set MSRP 4 times higher than ex-factory pricing...
To be honest, at the price I purchased at, I think this thing is VERY overpriced.  Even at 300 USD (80 USD less than I paid), its overpriced.  I feel the proper price for this should be under 200 USD.   As to the price in Taiwan, I am not quite sure why its so much cheaper here.  Price is listed at ~8500 NTD, but can be negotiated down to ~7000 NTD.   Unfortunately I don't know any Taiwan online retailers as I cannot read Chinese so I don't bother researching these...
 As to why AK10 won't work on iPod Nano 7, iOS devices that use Lightning connectors utilize a new firmware protocol, iAP2, that was released along with the devices.  Past devices and the Nano 7 use iAP1 as a protocol for firmware.  iRiver would have to rewrite the firmware to use both iAP1 and iAP2 in order for the Nano 7 to be compatible.  But then they would need to re-certify the product with Apple; I doubt they want to do this.