Posts by redrising98

I had a similar problem when I switched to a different westone cable. I ended up cutting little slivers of shrink tubing and putting them around the male cable end. It added a bit of material to fill the gap and tightened up the connection without affecting the contact of the connectors.Hope that helps.
So I picked up a pair of the alphas when they were $80. Like had been mentioned they were quite bass heavy and thus somewhat muddy sounding to me so I ended up just using the cable with my W40s. Anyways I had to send the cable back as it started fraying. Fast forward to today when I received a complete new ADV Beta as a replacement. Color me pleasantly surprised. It's been a while since I listened to the alphas but it seems that the betas have definitely improved some...
I got a pair of Westone ADV alpha's because I wanted to use the cloth cable with my Westone W40s (Westone hasn't started selling the cables separately yet).  So long story short: I have a pair of ADV alpha's that need a new home.   I tried the ADVs for less than an hour out of curiosity and found them somewhat bass heavy but still clear sounding.  The bass definitely has a visceral quality to it and suites the intended "active" use Westone had in mind.  Aside from sound...
They have a 2 year warranty which is better than the vast majority of other manufacturers.  And I'm not sure how/why you think their build materials have degraded;  I may be wrong but I see no sources complaining about their casings coming apart or anything (the W series at least, I think some were having issues with their UM50s though).  The whole deal with the offset slit was overblown and resolved. As for amazon, I don't really see how that's westone's fault... I agree...
Based on overall sound quality: W40 > SM64 > W3 > PFE 122 = BA200 > KEF M200 > HF3 > mono8320   Personal preference though (bolded are still with me): W40 >> BA200 = PFE 122 >> SM64 > W3 = KEF M200 > HF3 > mono8320
Not sure if its a problem for Westone but there are fakes of popular earphones being sold (IE80 comes to mind) so I could understand them requiring an authorized retailer.   I'd try calling them again directly and explaining the situation.  Maybe give them the serial to run.  I've had only positive experiences dealing with them.
earphonesolutions still sells the genuine phonak tips fyi... they only carry the multi-packs (1x SM, M, L) though.  I just got off the phone with Adriana there and the pack cost $15 (kinda steep but I guess they are rare now).   subguy812: Thanks for the detailed response.  I ended up sending mine back today in exchange for the W40s... But I completely agree with your assessment.  The sub-bass especially has a really special decay on these.  For me though, I think it was...
So spent the last week listening to these.  I've noticed that they are somewhat fatiguing for me... I think that sub-bass boost/rumble may be causing it.  Also does anyone else feel like the bass sounds a little too forward.  They don't mask the mids but they make the mids sound further away to me.   ericr: the phonak tips would definitely be worth looking into imo.  I like the modified meelec tips a bit better just cause they fit like a glove for me (phonaks fit...
Price drop (-$10)!
For tips i found that if you pull out the core on westone foams you can use those to adapt larger bore tips. I'm using some tips from a meelec m6 that way right now. Phonak tips are great too.