Posts by tomb

Ditto.   Also, the way the GrubDAC is designed, the USB connection is through the PCM2706/7 portion of the circuit.  I believe it's quite possible to get a good USB connection, but then no sound from the Wolfson DAC portion of the circuit.
"The caps or resistors in the tube amp will give way."??Nothing is going to happen to the amp.  Capacitors and resistors are either rated for the voltages that are present, or they're not - warm-up, cold, or whatever. The position of the volume knob affects one thing: the equipment the amp is powering.  If those happen to be headphones or speakers, then yes - they could be exposed to very non-music-type signals during warm-up that could be damaging.  Also, gains may be...
Just crank up the bias if there's any doubt - it won't be an issue.  I've had it up to 150ma bias before - it can go higher than that if you can stand to run it hot.  The existing bias recommendation (125ma max) is very conservative. I've successfully driven modded vintage Fostex's and modded Yamaha's that were very, very inefficient - with a MOSFET-MAX.  The only thing you need to be concerned about are the center heat sinks.  One of those cheapo Extech meters with a...
Yes, custom builds are possible ... except that a parafeed capacitor is basically the only upgrade that's readily available.  It's simple enough to substitute another type/brand of capacitor into an already built Torpedo, though.  And yes - I can do that for you, too. I can't speak about the new generation of planars, except to say that if they're similar to a K701 (normally considered among the hardest to drive dynamics), then it should do fine.
Very nice work, Kim!  It's great to see that PCB being put to use! I wish the news was better on the GrubDAC.  I'm afraid you are unique in that regard - haven't had any other reports of incompatibility.  I forget the specific issue - do you think one of our new DoodleBugs could correct the problem?
As Dsavitsk has confirmed recently, power is on the order of 250mW.  Considering the output transformer ability to switch impedances between high and low, that still works out to enough voltage and current for almost any dynamic headphone - K701/702/712's included. There are built versions of the Torpedo available at Beezar.  No offense, but I suggest one of those rather than recommending a kit of this amp to someone who has no DIY experience.
Measuring resistance at the resistor leads does nothing to check whether they're soldered firmly into the circuit board.  Also, when you're measuring resistance and circuit continuity, all power is OFF and the plug is not in the wall socket.   You can do the same thing with the tube socket - stick a probe in each of the holes, then use the other probe to connect to a part/trace somewhere removed from the socket (but supposed to be connected to that pin in the circuit).  If...
You've replaced so many parts to no effect, I kind of agree with Dsavitsk: the fact that you didn't notice it until you trimmed the pot shaft may just be a coincidence.  Or, the stress of trimming the shaft may have knocked something loose. Again, I'm sorry you're going through this, but I would tend to focus on other things besides replacing the parts at this point.  Check all of your resistors - see if you can measure good resistance values by measuring from adjacent...
Just an FYI, but the PCM 2704/5 chip has a built-in headphone amplifier.  It most likely does fine with efficient, low-impedance phones such as those that might be used for portable applications. As for the ELE, looks to me like it's simply quoting the typical specs from the PCM2704/5 - it already has 5V and 3.3V power supply conversion/regulation.  The sampling is standard with the chip (32, 44.1, 48 KHz). However, S/N ratio and dynamic range are better than quoted by...
What he's not mentioning is that FLAC is an individual program by itself.  It's not proprietary, but by the same token, other software can't include it as part of their product.  So, you always have to download/save the FLAC encoder file separately, then define its location within the software products that use it. I'd say it's debatable, really, which string of processes is more convenient, EAC + Foobar-FLAC conversion vs. EAC + FLAC conversion + Foobar loading.  That's...