or Connect

Posts by tomb

And if it has a 3.5mm connector, is it a portable DAC with a small connector or a DAC/amp for use with portable headphones? I agree that it's a pointless argument - that was my point.   (It's now a new day, anyway - no offense intended.) 
 Thanks for the kind comments on the kit packaging! Yes, as mentioned elsewhere - I'm a sucker for symmetry, so I would have the two outside Solens flush to the PCB and raise the two in the middle.  You will find that you can even solder three of them flush and then just have one sticking up, but as I said - I like symmetry.   I haven't tried the Obbligatos, but they're among Dsavitsk's favorites.  If you give them a shot, please let us know how they sound in the Torpedo III!
It's all a distinction without a difference.  If a DAC output stage provides enough voltage and current to power a headphone, then call it a DAC/amp.  There are DACs with separate amplifier circuits and there are DAC chips with onboard headphone amplifiers built into the chip.  Then there are "traditional" component DACs that don't have enough power for headphones.  The line gets blurred a lot these days.
Staggered, yes - but only in the vertical dimension, not horizontally.  It's entirely possible to install three of them and then have the fourth on top of the open space by about a third of its diameter.  I like symmetry, so I solder the two on the outside flush to the PCB, then have the two in the middle raised up by about 1/2" in the same plane. Just bend the leads down once - just like a resistor - and pop them in the PCB for a trial fit.  You'll quickly see what I'm...
I think everyone focuses waaaay too much on output impedance.  With regard to power, it's probably more appropriate, actually - it's an indication of where the power vector is aligned with regard to load impedance.  I don't think it translates to better control over a headphone diaphragm with some unknown damping, anyway.  This all goes out the window with output transformers, of course.  The windings dictate the impedance.  An output transformer coupled tube amp or hybrid...
No.  You can select an output coupling capacitor to push the bass cutoff well below audibility, but an electrolytic that size with low-impedance planars will cost more than an output transformer.  At the same time, it does nothing to increase the current.  You get what comes off of the tube, period. Contrary to the post above, output transformers (good ones) only need two impedance outputs to match well with just about any headphone impedance on the market.  Things are not...
I can't tell you anything specific about the tubes you mention or the Little Dot. However, getter structure on its own has nothing to do with the sound of the tube.  The getter is there to energize the flash (the silver coating on the inside top of the tube) during tube construction.  The silver coating on the inside then acts to absorb additional gas molecules during the life of the tube, enhancing the vacuum. All that said, getter structure is usually indicative of other...
 There is already a huge thread for "What's the best amp for HD800?" in the Summit-Fi forum section.  There are plenty of DAC reviews in that section, too.
The Torpedo III is output transformer coupled and uses the 12A*7 family of tubes, with the 12AY7 as optimum. Many people have been using the 12AT7's with great results. The 12AZ7, 12AV7 and all their derivatives are possible, too. Admittedly, the 12AU7 itself is a bit too low in gain and the 12AX7 is a little too high, but that still leaves a huge selection of "common" tubes inbetween that range.
Maybe I won't get into trouble if I state this more clearly than my posts above:   ECP Audio non-bespoke, production designs are available at beezar.com.  For now at least, that even includes DIY-kits along with assembled versions: the Torpedo I and Torpedo III.