Posts by tomb

Well, I didn't give much help.  I'm sorry to hear that the "C" version chip doesn't make a difference.  It may be that a couple of pins need to be activated or connected to something to enable the volume control and the PupDAC doesn't have a provision for that. All that said, it sounds like the audioengine is the culprit.  I would have to believe that if you just connected a CD player or something similar, the same thing would result, because the PupDAC is perfectly...
Good luck on finding the fix with that pin. As for making the volume output softer, I'm not sure there's a problem ... at least with the PupDAC.  It adheres to industry standards at the output and is no stronger than most sources.  The volume in Windows is not compatible with the PCM2707 USB chip.  Microsoft started this with Windows 7, I believe.  Supposedly the version "C" of the PCM2707 is supposed to address this, but I haven't seen anyone actually achieving...
That's a long time between bites of popcorn.
Someone would have to measure it, I guess - I haven't.  Maybe I'll try tomorrow.
Way to go in staying with the issue and getting it fixed!   Yes, flux will eventually become conductive over time.  It's always a good idea to rinse the PCB as much as you can when finished populating it.
The best I have are Telefunkens, but there are some Philips/Amperex (pretty much the same mfr), Siemens, and Mullards.*  Siemens are almost identical to Telefunkens, but may be cheaper.  Philips/Amperex are not quite as detailed as the Telefunkens, but have a mid-bass bloat that people may like.  Mullards - from my memory - are as detailed as Telefunkens but with deep bass.  They don't seem to have a bloat like the Philips/Amperex.  That may all be because a friend bought...
You need to supply some more information next time.  You specify all of this random stuff - PC I5 750, EMU-1212, Grado SR225, etc., yet your question is about the "Wal-Wart" and that's all you call it.  Further, you never reference where this "dedicated power supply" can be found and who is "they?" I realize it's Headamp and have met/talked to Justin on a couple of occasions, but you've got nothing that directs someone to anything on his present website regarding the...
Cases are now finished and look fantastic!  Unfortunately, I'm in the process of upgrading Beezar to new software - to stop the US Post Office from breaking it all the time.  That's going to take me awhile, but I'm taking vacation the week of Labor Day.  The plan is to get the NEW Beezar up and running and to have the DoodleBug website built, too.  Hopefully, Beezar will have a lot more capability and more options, too. Then we'll be off and running! Schiit Wyrd?  Ours...
 As ClieOS implied with his rhetorical question above - AC has no pos/neg.  The circuit is not DC until it passes through D3 and D4.  This would be clearer if he had used a bridge rectifier arrangement at the power input, but he didn't ... and so much debate occurred about whether it is truly a full-wave rectifier.  By the time the current flow hits the regulators it really doesn't matter, I suppose - it's just not as clean a design as it should be, IMHO. The circuit...
OMG.  Mayflower.  That explains a lot.  Sorry I didn't know this when I replied to your PM's. One thing you might check right away are the power connections to the PCB from the IEC inlet.  Mayflower was known not to put in all the mounting screws (among other things) and the IEC inlet pins would break in shipment.  You may need to supply some more pics - especially around the power inlet and underneath the PCB - before we can confirm it's even safe.