or Connect

Posts by tomb

Capacitors drying out is an over-rated myth in most circumstances.  If you've got 1940's and 1950's paper/cardboard electrolytics, then yes - it would probably be worth replacing them.  However, the Sansui you have was late enough to have used modern, can-type electrolytics.  If it's been sounding good to you, I doubt seriously that you have any issue.  As long as there isn't any leakage, capacitors get rejuvenated to some extent simply by running current through...
 The 19J6 has a lot of gain, too. We took to a practice of implementing input resistors in the SSMH design.  This doesn't necessarily affect gain, per se, but it "pushes" the comfortable volume level out to the midrange of the volume pot travel, lessening the effects of poor channel matching, etc. Most SSMH's used a 50K pot.  So, some multiples of 50K worked well - 50K, 100K, 150K.  These can be standard RN55 resistors, one each in series with the signal input for each...
 It's in the volume control.  Some of them have great channel matching all the way down to low volumes, but many do not. When he's referring to gain for improving this, that controls what position on the volume range results in a comfortable volume level.  When the gain "pushes" the comfortable volume level out to the middle of the volume control range, that leakage and channel mis-matching reduces to below audibility at the low end of the volume control. Note that "gain"...
Someone needs to point him to the DIY section ...
 Sorry I was late, but good choice.
I agree that hiss is a gain-related issue and FA's response is a good one.   I'm just still curious about why it worked before, but not now.  I don't think the output level from the Gamma 2 should be that different from an ODAC or Modi.   Likewise for me, can you describe the noise?  Could it really be a high-level hum, perhaps, and maybe there's ground loop issue going on?
I don't know about all of that, but I like your Miracord turntable avatar!  I had a 50H Mk II years and years ago (when it was new!).
A pop or crack on switching off is an indication of capacitors discharging.  Most likely, the DAC has a high amount of capacitance onboard.  This will cause a DC spike on turn-off, just like some amplifiers will have a DC spike on turn-on before the onboard capacitors charge up.  It's why relay-delays are incorporated in many power on/off circuits in order to minimize the spikes.   A good practice is not necessarily the turn-on/turn-off order, but rather - always turn...
Not really, as far as I'm aware - but I'm always ready to be surprised.  Outside of the chains like Best Buy, Guitar Center, etc., I don't think there's anything.  The newly opened HiFi Buys in Buckhead has Grados and the NightHawk, but I'm not aware of any really high-level headphone audition location.   Keep an eye on the Meet section, though, you will find the locals have almost every headphone you may ever want to hear.  Heck, purk probably has all of them just by...
There are so many references it's difficult to cite only a few.   Here's a great magazine article by Pete Millett on the original Millett Hybrid: http://diyforums.org/MiniMAX/history/ax_hybrid.pdf   It goes through many steps in the reasoning behind creating a simple tube-hybrid amplifier for headphones.   Another great link, although it's mostly about building, is Tangent's tutorial on building the CMoy: http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/ Tangent has gobs of...