Posts by tomb

Generally speaking and I'm conjecturing to a large extent, on-ear headphones (supra-aural) tend to have peaky spikes.  There are many reasons for this, probably not the least of which is they pretty much smash the ears into perverted shapes and lack any kind of consistent seal around the ear.  This causes the response to vary and it becomes very difficult to make the response consistent from the mfr.  If enough clamping force is used, then the phone can be optimized as a...
The number one mod on Sony V6's or 7506's is to replace the ear pads with velours.  You can order the this off-brand from amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Velour-Earcushions-Technica-Mdr7506-Headphones/dp/B0081SO0RM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435844131&sr=8-2&keywords=velour+pads+for+V6   Or, you can purchase the velour pads for the Beyer DT250:...
 I won't argue the idea of limiting feedback, but when you claim flat frequency response to 200kHz, maybe you should look at the other end.  With C14 at 470uf, the 30 ohm load you mention will experience a -3dB cutoff at 11.29 Hz.  That's fine as far as it sounds, but what it really means is that with a 30 ohm load, the 20Hz frequency response is already down by -1.2dB.  That would be plenty OK for a headphone, but probably not for an amp.  Still, it's probably OK in a...
Can't say that I've heard the 612's.  However, I own the K701 (original Austrian-made, low serial number) and the K712.  I also had an Austrian-made Q701 for quite a while.  There wasn't enough difference in the Q and K to persuade me to keep it.  The K712 is a different animal, though.  I think they nailed it on that one.  Yes, it's still not a bass-slammer and the soundstage perspective is 10th-row center, not onstage and next to the mikes as with my Grados.  Still, it's...
 Cool!  Thanks for that kind comment!
 Well sure - if you want to design a headphone amplifier that responds all the way to 200 kHz, then your strategy is just fine.  If you want to design a headphone amplifier that responds best to what you can hear, then you're missing the boat.  As a device in the signal path, electrolytics are high in odd-order distortion.  Moreover, they "cloud" the entire output.  Even run-of-the-mill output transformers are more transparent than an electrolytic capacitor on the output....
 I suppose, but you'll be amplifying added distortion throughout - actually, more like multiplying.
 1. Tube amps aren't about customizing "the type of sound."  They're about making the music more life-like and less sterile. 2. The O2 would be the worst example of all to try what you suggest.  Unlike any other headphone amp, the volume pot (attenuator) is between the signal stage (amplification) and output buffer (current output).  Every other amp attenuates the signal right at the input.  What this means is that any gain whatsoever from the preamp will most likely...
^ This
Sorry to say that you are woefully exaggerating the supposed disadvantages of output transformers. Maybe I'm not seeing your schematic correctly, but that one output-coupling capacitor in your circuit - C14 - is going to sound worse than most any output transformer you could use.