or Connect

Posts by tomb

I can't say for sure whether this is the problem, but it it's very likely.  Laptops have notoriously noisy power supplies - especially when considered from an audiophile perspective. You don't get something for nothing.  The HiFimediy DACs and power solutions look good, but they are very cut-rate in design.  AFAIK, the U2 DAC has no onboard analog regulation whatsoever.  That means whatever quality the USB power supply is pumping out, all of it goes through the DAC and...
 I agree.  The Stax SR07 and SR09 are among the best in the world (the best?).  The lower level Stax?  Meh.  Grados are faster and more transparent.  Probably a lot of other headphones are better, too. 
No offense, but the G cushions I bought on ebay wouldn't even fit the cups without falling off.  Worst money I every spent on headphones.
Never mind my first suggestion (edited) - Grados would probably suit you best.
JMHO - If you are looking to avoid all of the audiophile/guitar-tone mess and high-dollars of black-plate/gray-plate, top-getter, RCA vs. Telefunken, etc., etc., etc., just go buy a pair of new-manufacture EH or JJ 12AU7's.  They'll at least sound as good as a very nice, middle-of-the-road NOS 12AU7 and may even sound better than that.  Plus, quality control is outstanding - especially with the EH's - and they'll last for a good long while.  I would personally choose the...
Well, I haven't had that much consistent experience with DigiKey, so I can't comment very much.   However, I will say this:  MOUSER SUCKS.   After literally years (7-8 at least) of ordering $thousands from them ... when trying to resolve an issue of their own making, none of that means squat.  I might as well be someone ordering a single resistor for the very first time for all the help they're willing to give.  They usually have the lowest prices and the greatest...
You will be able to stalk it first thing tomorrow. 
No, it wouldn't. I'm afraid you're still not getting it. Have a nice day, though.
 Well, the Koss Pro4AAA are fairly common vintage headphones.  I owned a pair once - also the Koss Pro4AA (when they still used fluid-filled ear cushions), and the Koss Pro4X. As for the Heils, I found this:http://www.head-fi.org/products/ess-mark-1-stereophones/reviews/9741 and this:http://www.head-fi.org/t/306369/ess-mk1-heil-air-motion-transfer-headphones, but not much else ... do they squeeze grapes as well as the speakers did?  I still remember the marketing...
 Excuse me.  Gain is not volume.  It establishes a fixed amplification level, period.  Volume attenuates the signal, regardless of the gain setting.  There can be consequences in performance from not understanding the difference.  You might think that increasing volume or increasing gain - either one - would increase voltage.  However, as the OP has stated his concerns, simply increasing volume is not sufficient if the load desires more voltage than the gain setting can...