or Connect

Posts by tomb

Count me in!
I'm not understanding how you worded your post. What is the difference between "5v" and "5v tp?" Aren't they both the same test point? Forget about "shorted," what is the actual voltage to ground that you measure at those points?If the "-5V" test point does not measure -5V referenced to ground, then something is wrong with U7, the voltage-inverting charge pump.
Yeah - I need some flames on the sides.
Posted this over in the Pics of Your Builds thread in the DIY section, but it deserves a mention here, too - ECP Audio Walnut 5 DAC:   I actually built the PCB - the most challenging, but rewarding electronics project I've ever had. As for that case and the wood - well, I was able to rub some oil onto the wood.  Other than that, it's all Dsavitsk/ECP Audio craftsmanship!    Balanced output, high-res, high-bit, asynchronous USB - can't ask for much more.  It's...
Pics of my personal Torpedo III:  
Here's another one, quite simply the best DAC I've heard - ECP Audio's Walnut 5.0 DAC:   I actually built the PCB and rubbed some oil onto the wood.   Dsavitsk of ECP Audio takes the credit for the rest, though: PCB design, case design, woodwork, etc.  Still, building the PCB was pretty fun.  It was the most challenging electronics project I've ever soldered - very rewarding.   Balanced output, high-res, high-bit, asynchronous USB - can't ask for much more.  
I recently finished building Pete Millett's LR Phono Preamp.  It uses purely inductors and resistors for the RIAA equalization - no capacitors in the signal path at all.  Pete designed and built it for the European Triode Festival in 2013.  He's got an excellent presentation about designing it, RIAA theory, inductors, etc. on his web site: http://pmillett.com/LR_phono.html     + and - 15VDC supply on left side and LR phono preamp board on the right.  It blows away...
Yep - the Output CCS boards have arrived.  It may take me a week or two to build them up and test each one, but they'll be available after that.
Just to be clear, the Millett Hybrid is a totally different amplifier than the Starving Student.  it predates the Starving Student by a number of years and its first version was well documented in November, 2002 by Pete Millett in AudioXpress magazine: http://diyforums.org/MAX/history/ax_hybrid.pdf. There were many other versions of the Millett Hybrid designed and built, beginning with Drew Dunn/Nate Maher's version commonly referred to as the revMH Millett Hybrid.  A...
 Sorry, but there's some confusion.  There is only one tube CCS and that is the one you have. The other CCS is completely different and new. It has nothing to do with the tubes.  Instead, it replaces the output resistors in the differential buffer.  It has a much more significant effect than other tweaks.  The PCBs are currently in production (parts are in already).  I expect them to be available in a week or two, perhaps.