Posts by julian67

One minute on amazon US shows me that they are available for less than $20 including shipping, and that includes items sold directly by amazon as well as market and "fulfilled by amazon" deals.
Backblaze (an online backup company that broadly speaking uses the same consumer grade disks as you and I) occasionally publishes interesting data on disk longevity, failure rates and so on. See http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/11/12/how-long-do-disk-drives-last/ It is not comfortable reading unless you are organised enough to purchase and discard disks every X number of years (where X is probably 4), and you also have a decent back up regime. On my home desktops and...
Not if they are identical drives with identical usage, such as drives from the same manufacturing batch used in a mirrored RAID (same controller, same loads, same temperatures, same lifespan). You then have extremely unwelcome and enhanced odds of them failing very closely together. That's one of the reasons why mirrored RAID is no substitute for back up.
I have about 540GB of lossless CD rips (all flac). That includes cover/booklet scans, playlist files etc. That is also backed up and kept synced to a different physical drive, so a little over 1TB in lossless audio. Then I have about 116GB of downloaded web radio (mostly high bitrate aac from BBC) and a few podcasts. That figure fluctuates wildly as I discard stuff, and I back up/keep just some of it. Then I have about 75GB of audio books (mp3,ogg) which I...
@jimr101 Firstly, if you "don't mean to be rude" then don't say stuff like "you are full of it" or people might question your sincerity ;-) Secondly, what you describe is warm up not burn in. "Burn in" would be a change that occurs after x time of use and is then persistent/permanent regardless of other factors. "Warm up" obviously is a change that occurs as the item warms with use and which is lost when the item is again used from a cold start. The only sane...
This idea that one audio player sounds much different from another is not correct. On a GNU/Linux OS any and all audio players will use the same sound systems and so will sound the same. If they don't sound the same then either you configured them badly or they are essentially broken. Unless there is something seriously broken with an audio player then you can configure it (and/or the sound system such as alsa or pulse) to simply use the available hardware without bit...
It seems that Quarkie are out of business. The US website is still up but the original UK company quarkie.com is offline and the products here in UK are being offloaded on ebay at prices as low as £9.99 (aprox. $17 US or €12). I was tempted/intrigued/three sheets to the wind and bought a pair of the "Rusty Bolt" model for £9.99 (free delivery) from zavvi.com's ebay outlet. They arrived this morning so I can't say anything at all about durability but I've been listening...
OK I don't want to get smoked, roasted or even braised however good the sauce. If I ever get a PONO I will let you borrow it so long as you promise to keep it dry (water off a duck's back and all that).
I was seriously considering doing so but luckily it seems da management will do it for me And thank you for being more tolerant and patient than I ever achieve If there was a pond near here I would be heading there now with breadcrumbs, anchovies and other lucky ducky treats. Fortunately there is no such thing in Hove so I will just stay put and have another glass of the good stuff and relax.
Hello ducky, on a more serious note: my post was actually made to a different thread (not started by me) several days ago and for reasons unknown to me that thread was locked and then without my knowledge my contribution to it was copied in full by site mods or admins and inserted into this new thread. It's a bit like waking up and not knowing where you are or why you are there but having an odd sense of deja vu combined with a mild hangover while not knowing if this is...