Posts by julian67

I now have two pairs of Xiaomi Pistons. Both are 2nd generation (ported) bought from Xiaomi's approved online retailer ibuygou.com. My first pair is http://www.ibuygou.com/p-original_xiaomi_piston_earphone_brief_version-5983.html These are a very decent budget Android headset: the controls work perfectly with my Galaxy Note - volume up/down, pause/resume, answer call, voice search and so on. They cost me US $12 inc. tracked, signed for delivery by DHL (really!). I...
wiffle, waffle, waffle, ya ya ya. All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
Que?
At this point, as an actual English person whose first language is proper actual English and whose second language is also English, I concede and defer, on the grounds of incomprehensibility and tedium.
I don't have an HTC (with its different ouput impedance) with which to make the comparison. "Suck" is notoriously difficult to define. Millions of people like the cheaper Beats. Even more millions like the Apple buds. Even more billions never complain about the crap that came with their $20 Nokia. Relatively few people confirm liking a headphone that offers a credible reproduction. Suck means what?
It's hard to compare for several reasons: Both the Xiaomi Pistons and Samsung HS3303 are more easily found counterfeit than genuine. Most Android smartphones have a terrible combination of a headphone jack with high output impedance and a low quality amp. Your Samsung S4 dual driver IEMs are probably fakes. Of course perception of sound quality is subjective, but with the genuine dual driver Samsungs it is really, truly, genuinely hard to say "they suck". One can say...
These are not isolating IEMs. They are vented/ported. That means there is a big hole in them which lets in external sounds. If you cover it you will destroy that great sound quality. If you need IEMs with good quality sound and Android compatibility but more isolation then you need a different product. My suggestion would be the Samsung HS3303. Similar price but beware of fakes.
I'm not sure that a dollar price comparison means that much unless you compare items which are broadly equivalent in sound, materials, style and manufaturing quality. You can spend some very serious money on IEMs or headphones and get stuff which is fashionable but sounds horrible, or which sounds amazing but breaks easily.These have moderately emphasised bass and are otherwise surprisingly open and natural sounding. I can see how people accustomed to really bass heavy...
Exactly. The other day I read a blog or interview by a Shure representative who spent ages explaining why Shure think it's impossible to offer good cables for Android. What it boiled down to is "actually we can't be bothered because you'll buy our stuff anyway". Ha! Not again. Actually people using lowest end and no-name Android phones are unlikely to be spending two, three or more times the phone/tab price on Shures, so actually the Android devices they need to cater...
I never noticed that. The reason? These things are always in my ears and I can't see them!