Posts by julian67

I was a bit frustrated that my Sennheiser Momentums came with a plain cable and an iPhone cable but nothing for Android. I have some nice dual driver Samsung IEMs to use with my Galaxy Note, and some aftermarket IEMs and noise cancelling IEMs which also have suitable controls from manufacturers such as Xiaomi and Digital Silence (Wolfson). But I really wanted to be able to use my Momentums with my Note and not miss calls or notifications or have to fumble around...
I bought two pairs at different times direct from Amazon UK. For new, branded, easy to fake items like this I don't use ebay or amazon marketplace or similar. As far as I can tell almost all the sellers on amazon market place and ebay are offering fakes. Samsung UK retail direct as well but at full recommended price. The price direct from Amazon UK fluctuates wildly. At the moment it is a bit high. The item is also available direct from US amazon and is much cheaper...
Due to the unusual design of the ports the sound varies enormously according to the tips used. I hate it when people say this (!) but for once it is true. The Samsung dual driver IEMs have a unique approach to dual driver IEMs and ports and hence how to make IEMs sound airy. I bought one pair expecting it to be a disappointment/experiment but at least cheap. After a few days I thought "oh sh*t if these break can I get more???" so I bought another from the same retailer...
I don't know which is best value. $24.99 for Piston 2.0 or $12.00 for original Piston...how to know which is best value without hearing or measuring both and then applying one's own personal judgment and budgetary situation?I've looked at the measurements of Pistons at innerfideilty and my interpretation is that they will be quite well balanced but a bit overly punchy (i.e. will seem great for pop/rock and a bit less good for acoustic/jazz/classical). For me this is...
It's this one: http://www.ibuygou.com/p-original_xiaomi_piston_earphone_brief_version-5983.htmlIf you want the latest piston with berylium, unicornium, harrypotterium etc it is $24.99 with free tracked delivery.re. recommended sellers: http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/order-xiaomi-devices-via-miuiandroid-com-ibuygou-com.20050/
I just want to add my two pennies' worth about where to buy Xiaomi if you are outside Asia. Like others have said ibuygou.com is No. 1. The other day I ordered "Original Xiaomi Piston Earphone" which is the original white version, not the bronze one with kryptonite and unicorn horn dust. I paid US$12 in total and they are being sent by trackable DHS express including email/sms updates. I almost feel guilty. In fact maybe I do feel guity but I can easily get used...
One minute on amazon US shows me that they are available for less than $20 including shipping, and that includes items sold directly by amazon as well as market and "fulfilled by amazon" deals.
Backblaze (an online backup company that broadly speaking uses the same consumer grade disks as you and I) occasionally publishes interesting data on disk longevity, failure rates and so on. See http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/11/12/how-long-do-disk-drives-last/ It is not comfortable reading unless you are organised enough to purchase and discard disks every X number of years (where X is probably 4), and you also have a decent back up regime. On my home desktops and...
Not if they are identical drives with identical usage, such as drives from the same manufacturing batch used in a mirrored RAID (same controller, same loads, same temperatures, same lifespan). You then have extremely unwelcome and enhanced odds of them failing very closely together. That's one of the reasons why mirrored RAID is no substitute for back up.
I have about 540GB of lossless CD rips (all flac). That includes cover/booklet scans, playlist files etc. That is also backed up and kept synced to a different physical drive, so a little over 1TB in lossless audio. Then I have about 116GB of downloaded web radio (mostly high bitrate aac from BBC) and a few podcasts. That figure fluctuates wildly as I discard stuff, and I back up/keep just some of it. Then I have about 75GB of audio books (mp3,ogg) which I...