Posts by Bonavon Vovo

Well, I have my new HD380 Pro's. I have burned them in for around 100hrs and have a further 150hrs of listening on them. I would like to share my thoughts on them in comparison to the HD 280 Pro and ATH-M50s.   They have turned out to be my new day to day use headphone and I am considering selling my ATH-M50 and HD280.   They do exactly what I was hoping for which is:   Have a similar sound signature to the HD280 but much more refined.   Provide deep...
I'm surprised there are not more reviews and people praising this headphone here on head-fi. Judging by the reviews on amazon these phones punch well above their weight. Does anyone have an opinion of these? Objectively for or against?
I agree with Davie, their mids may be a little strong at times but they have some of the deepest tightest bass I've heard. They definitely shine with well recorded music and show the floors in poor recordings. Burn in with theae is important, mine are about 3 years old and have only proves with time. As a comparison to the ATH-M50 which is a direct competitor, they have less bass but far higher quality bass. Better mids too. The ATH-M50 beat them in the areas of sound...
The trick to twisting 2 wires together is that when you twist them lets say you are winding them together in a clockwise motion, each wire should be twisted counter clockwise as they are wound. This is how they will not unwind.
I have the HD280 and the HD380 with the coiled cable. I thought it was cumbersome and a little annoying until I bought the ATH-M50s (straight cable). The M50 cable is about 3m long and is a massive overkill for day to day use. My solution was to plait it. Which brings it down to about 1.2m but it is now heavier and not as pliable. I wish I bought them with the coiled cable now. Never mind, my HD380s are better anyway.
I will second the HD280 pro for exceptional tight sub bass. I also believe having good mids help to create the detail in bass. Eg a bass guitar may have a low deep note but sounds unnatural without some "twang" or fret buzz. Bass and mids hold hands. I would prefer good sub bass and mids with a sacrifice to mid bass. Mid bass to me unless done very well and balanced properly can be quite obnoxious and fatiguing. My burnt in HD280s kill my ATH-M50s in the bass department....
I think a lot of people mix up mid bass and sub bass having never really heard truly good detailed sub bass. People think that the HD280 is lacking in bass when they are expecting the boominess usually associated with bass. I think the HD280 has some of the best bass going round, especially for the money. Mine are around 3 years old and have only gotten better with time. They are used daily.
My benchmark audio testing tracks are -   Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror Gotye - Thanks For Your Time Weezer - The Greatest Man That Ever Lived Lionel Richie Commodores - Easy Dire Straits - Walk Of Life Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle Snoop Dogg - Who Am I (What's My Name) Feist - 1234 AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long Three 6 Mafia - Late Night Tip LIL Jon - Get Low Pink Floyd - Another Brick In...
My Benchmark audio testing tracks are -   Michael Jackson - Man In The Mirror Gotye - Thanks For Your Time Weezer - The Greatest Man That Ever Lived Lionel Richie Commodores - Easy Dire Straits - Walk Of Life Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle Snoop Dogg - Who Am I (What's My Name) Feist - 1234 AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long Three 6 Mafia - Late Night Tip LIL Jon - Get Low Pink Floyd - Another Brick In...
I have both the HD 280 Pro and the ATH-M50 and should receive a set of HD 380's in a few days which I will include in this comparison once I have given them some time.   I collect a large range of music, I listen to rock, metal, rap, electronica, ambient, jazz, blues, reggae.........honestly, you name it, within reason, if it is good quality, I will listen to it.   I would also like to add that there are 2 ways I like to appreciate music, 1) To listen...