Posts by Hijodelbrx

Just like 'Jazz' is a small word for a colossal universe of diverse music, 'Big Band' also covers a multitude of different Jazz stylings.  For example:   Big Band Latin Jazz Last years grammy for best Latin Jazz recording went to Arturo O'Farrill & The Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra - The Offense Of The Drum, an outstanding record.  Jerry Gonzalez/Miguel Blanco Big Band - A Tribute To The Fort Apache Band wasn't even nominated and IMO is an even better record!  Bobby...
Anat followed this one up a few yrs later with another live record; 'Clarinetwork, Live At The Village Vanguard'.  IMO this is the superior live record.  She's an amazing sax player but she's absolutely brilliant on clarinet.  Born in Israel, she's been living in NY since the 90's, and she speaks fluent Portugese, a true citizen of the world.  I mention portugese because she's deeply into the Brazilian music scene.  Most Jazz players can play a Samba/Bossa Nova but Anat...
The Oz Noy recording, Asian Twistz, is a new live record featuring Etienne Mbappe (bass player for John McLaughlin amongst others) and Dave Weckl.  All killa, no filla!;)  The 2 Weckl records I listed were practically released at the same time.  'Convergence' is a studio record with longtime collaborator keyboardist Jay Oliver and reminds me of the 1st solo discs he did for GRP (which also featured Oliver) with special guests like Mike Stern and Randy Brecker sprinkled...
A few records I picked up recently that I'm really enjoying: Anat Cohen - Luminosa Dafnis Prieto - Triangles And Circles Dave Weckl - Convergence AND Of The Same Mind Arturo O'Farrill & The Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra - The Offense Of The Drum Jerry Gonzalez/Miguel Blanco Big Band - Tribute To The Fort Apache Band Brecker Bros - Live At The Bottom Line 1975 Papo Vazquez - Spirit Warrior Oz Noy - Asian Twists Steve Gadd Band - 70 Strong
Just a quick glance at the Big Band genre in my ipod: Anat Cohen - Noir Arturo Sandoval - Dear Diz Bill Watrous & Pete Christlieb - Kindred Spirits Clare Fischer - Pacific Jazz Count Basie - 88 Basie St. Dave Grusin - West Side Story Duke Ellington - ...And His Mother Called Him Bill GRP All-Star Big Band - All Blues New Orleans Jazz Orchestra - Live! Phil Woods - Groovin' To Marty Paich Rob McConnell & Boss Brass - Brass & Woods The Tonight Show Band - Vol. 1&2 The...
This has been discussed earlier. Probably happens to everybody. Try turning the volume knob back and forth for a minute or two, this works for me, should be good as new.
 I've been into stand alone CD recorders since they 1st appeared. I've owned units from Phillips and Pioneer. The Phillips was early tech and hinky as hell. The Pioneer (Elite) was beautiful and reliable but with old age the CD mechanism skips (I still got it in the 'spares' closet!). Pioneer's out of the CD recorder business so it's been retired but maybe someday....Currently I'm using a Tascam CD RW900 that's proven to be outstanding (was just recording albums last...
I've been using Ortofon cartridges for decades and yes, they can be costly. But I think it's important to point out that not only does Ortofon produce affordable cartridges, but there are totally affordable turntables available that have gotten rave reviews. No doubt that pursuing a vinyl set-up will cost you, but it can be done on the cheap. It's wrong to think that only the best, most expensive, gear is needed to get good results. I'm writing this for any rookies who...
It would be a mistake to think the E12's bass-boost is some kind of huge difference in sound. To those who haven't heard it and are reading about it here (and on the many other E12 threads), regardless of whether it's V.1 or V.2, it not like it changes a normal frequency and changes it into a thumpin', growlin', bass-monsta, it doesn't. For me, on my TF10's and my HD600's, it just adds a bit of heft, authority, and slam, very pleasantly I might add. I never turn it off!...
I also use a Tascam CD recorder! I've enjoyed making 'mix' tapes, and now CD's for decades. As has been stated before, it's not the medium, it's all about the quality of the recording. The Tascam allows me to be careful about matching volume levels. I've recorded from LP's, CD's, & MP3's all on a single disc with fabulous results!