Posts by Davey

Yea, I thought you'd probably get more feedback, though there does seem to be a lot of talk about female vocalists here. Some of it doesn't go into much detail though. I tend toward music that is a little more on the fringes, but all of your videos sounded nice. Maybe try over at http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/forums/music-corner.2/ ... they have a lot more people now, and if it gets some response it can kind of snowball. If you do, let me know and I'll make sure to add...
Here's a few of my favorites from this year ... maybe not all quite what you are seeking :)   The Delines is a great new band, with Willy Vlautin from the also great Richmond Fontaine doing the writing and guitar, but with female lead singer Amy Boone. Really nice sounding record too. This one is called Colfax Avenue... http://thedelines.bandcamp.com/track/colfax-avenue     Hundred Waters latest The Moon Rang Like a Bell, this one called Murmurs...
I've been kind of stuck on this one lately, Calling Over Time, really nice record, especially as a debut, nice sounding too, recorded in 1997 when they still believed in capturing some of the real dynamic range, just 38 minutes so sometimes need to hit repeat. Love the upside down pool of water reflection on the cover too, seems to fit. Has a lot of the same feel i get from the new Sharon van Etten Are We There, though the Edith Frost record is a lot better sounding,...
Mentioned a couple of my recent favorites from this year in the 2014 thread, but especially that new Hundred Waters The Moon Rang Like a Bell. Not completely electronic, lots of processed piano, and it does have very nice female vocals making it somewhat reminiscent of Portishead, vocal sometimes laid bare and not much more than a coo, other times layered and more majestic, and still other times sounding a bit like Laurie Anderson with a touch of Kate Bush (both music and...
Yea, it's kinda surprising the new direction they take with each new record. Really a fun band to follow along with. They put out an EP a couple years ago called Undersea, and it was really different from the previous Burst Apart, which was also much different from the great debut that I still liked best at the time. The EP was more of a psychedelic trip-hop type sound, more synths and ambient washes, second song goes on for 8 1/2 minutes and never seems too long, actually...
Isn't that a great record? Very powerful. Got the latest from Brian Jonestown Massacre on now ... 
I've really been liking the new Hundred Waters The Moon Rang Like a Bell in the last couple weeks, not completely electronic, lots of processed piano, and it does have very nice female vocals making it somewhat reminiscent of Portishead, and it is pretty enchanting overall. Been stuck on repeat lately, just feels too good to stop.   Also saw it mentioned in the "What are you listening to right now?" thread, but the new debut from The Glass Animals is pretty fun too,...
Nice that you are happy with it, but what I think would be much better is if some of the modern albums getting licensed to HDTracks were from masters with at least a little dynamic range, something with a much better DR Database value than 5, and let HDTracks sell that one to us audiophiles, while the general public can have the highly compressed one. But I guess that is lost hope.
 Curious which songs and where you see (or hear) clipping on this? They definitely gave the music a little headroom and didn't push the peaks to the max, which is a refreshing change of pace in this modern era.
New record is incredible, Wine Dark Sea, don't miss it. She really brings it all together on this one, she's got the band, she's got the songs, she's got the lyrics, and knows how to sing it.