Posts by GoldfishX

Using the tree-in-the-woods analogy...   If an amazing DAC is priced out of range of 99.999% of potential buyers, is it really that amazing?   As much as I can **** on D-S people and their cost-cutting, the MSB's and dCS's of the world are on some mighty fine drugs with those prices. Yet another win for Schitt.
It's a flavor of the month that has gone past the expiration date.   On the plus side, when someone chimes in and says, "This unit isn't any good...No DSD support", I know to stop listening to them. :)
For those of us that have no faith in DSD, it just gives Mike even more credibility. I can't quite wrap my head around the hype of such a limited selection of music, even if what I've heard does sound quite nice.   And yes, this thread does a fine job of "selling" the idea of R2R DAC's. Ignorance and common sense would lead people to believe that DAC's would improve over the years, not fall prey to the cost cutting measures of D-S. But part of that is the fault of the...
I think if he were doing the AD2000x, it would be somewhere slightly ahead of the Grado RS1/RS2. It's a pretty mid-forward headphone with some slight refinements and it tended to remind me of a Grado. Personally, I wasn't too impressed with them.
Only brought it up because it is an overlooked part of David's setup (which he states prior to going into the headphone breakdowns) and because it's something that has a trickle-down effect on how he views his amp/headphone pairings. Also because it's probably the thing that caused some of the hype surrounding many of the high end headphones discussed here to match up with my own personal findings. The OP is an incredibly valuable resource, but one needs to consider the...
"ValidationIt doesn’t really matter what we think if our customers can’t appreciate the difference.For validation we conducted customer focus groups with our customers who were using the higher priced power strips and conditioners. The results were eye-opening! Replacing these devices with our Endorphin design, in virtually every case, opened up a whole new level of refinement in the bass, sound-stage, transparency and accuracy these systems delivered.Every customer...
It's the same one David uses in the review. :) You can see it sitting all the way on the bottom of his rig in the picture. The DAC and the various amps are all plugged into it. I saw that and thought, "hey, if this guy's comfortable with plugging his $40,000 DAC and $5000+ headphone amps into that thing, it's good enough for me!" Hence, my most important takeaway from the review.
I paid $200 for the power conditioner used. At worst, it will protect the amp and the source (a Sony HAP-S1). At best, it cleaned up the power mess I had before and resulted in a cleaner sound in my overall rig. I'd be afraid to be without it now.   (I have a problem with pricy cables/power conditioners that claim to be the cure for cancer...that is when this hobby gets very stupid).
Probably a combination of noise floor with electrical interference. The other thing I did was I got my source as far away from my computer as possible (gave the Monster conditioner it's own private outlet and just plug my gear into it). That was another consistency with the hifi shop rigs...No computer audio and no computer near any of the equipment. Portable players probably have a low noise floor, but some degree of electrical interference with all the insides (opamps,...
It's trickier than people realize. I generally agree that a half decent DAC will present a good enough image. The problem is the noise floor and the noise that gets in the system and shows up in the headphone. I've heard the exact same rig at a Hifi shop and then would be surprised when it sounded spectacularly bad at home.   I chose the HD800 because I wanted to hear EVERYTHING in the recordings, good or bad. However, both my power and source were questionable and it...