Posts by GoldfishX

I was surprised how far down she has the Sophia rated. It's below some of the Woo stock tubes, but she didn't have much positive to say about those and she sounded fairly positive on the Sophia. I will probably end up experimenting with some other rectifiers just for the fun of it, once I get the driver tubes situated.   Coming from 68dj/6922 Land, this is foreign territory for me. :)
Thanks, but it's mostly the driver tubes I need help with. I have seen that thread before, it's really informative.
Hello,   New WA6SE owner here. I'm getting the amp in a few days with the Sophia Princess rectifier, but it will have the stock driver tubes and I am interested in swapping these out ASAP. I have had luck with tube rolling on my Lyr and I am a fan of the Voskhod rockets (a pair of 80's gray shields have been my reference for about a year now). I'm well versed in 6922-style tubes, but a complete newb to the driver tubes the WA6SE uses. I am primarily interested in getting...
Yes, I've finally given up on the headphone amp part of the unit. I did a side by side with my old Magni and the Magni opened everything up immensely.   The DAC part is still fantastic and has a ton of flexibility. I added the Audiophilleo 2/Pure Power to my computer as a source and that really helped clean everything up. I'm really liking my set-up now.   And yes, I can confirm the CCK compatibility, although I found the iPad/A8 (DAC) pairing a little too bright.
Tried a couple more sources (an iPad USB output, coax out with my DX50, optical out with a CD player) and there's really no comparison...Just running the USB out from the noisy desktop computer into the AP2/PP is the best, clearest and most musical source I have on me right now. I did switch to using both an iPod power brick and the computer to power the PP and I think it gives it that extra 5-10 percent refinement.   This thing just shows how important getting a good...
I just got my AP2/PP and holy crap, this thing actually works! For the past year, I've struggled to pinpoint the weakness in my system and after going various amps, headphones and DAC's and even speakers, I had finally traced it to my source. I had planned on picking up a laptop to use as a music server with AP2/PP, as opposed to my main desktop, but I popped the AP2 into the desktop's USB port and hooked it into my A8 DAC and tossed my HD600's into the A8's headphone...
Dithering made a world of difference to me. It took the "digital" edge off the music. The downside to it is that it introduces slight noise into the track (inaudible for the most part), but as you say it enhances the detail. I almost want to say it takes the smear off the music.
Honestly (and I know I keep mentioning this), the Rockbox firmware transforms the player completely, to the point that it deems any issues with the earlier firmwares obsolete (although it does have a learning curve as far as navigation). I think the current firmware is also much, much more user friendly, but it's debatable whether it actually sounds better than the earlier ones (despite the usage issues, I felt 1.2.2 and 1.2.5 sounded better than the current one...again,...
Flawlessly with 24/96. Check the DX50 on Rockbox thread for other formats. But it handled everything just fine (without downsizing the files...plays them natively). I'm pretty sure the regular firmwares handle it as well though.
Again though, stick Rockbox on the DX50 and that "warmness" from the various firmwares goes away. It's pretty dead neutral to me. If anything, it becomes a little too analytical (but you can tweak the 4khz and 8khz EQ bands to ease the high mids and treble...Rockbox EQ works very well without the inherent goofiness of the Ibasso EQ). That flexibility has made it my go-to source in recent months.