Posts by GoldfishX

Quite a few TH900 people here! I'm getting a loan of them from the Cable Company. Made sense, since I have the Fostex A8 DAC/amp and it's supposed to be a dream match with it. I have enough credits that either that or the HE-560 will soon be in my possession at a nice discount. If they don't work, I might just say screw it and go all in on the Stax.
 Has anyone tried the Lyr/Alpha Dog combo? I ultimately gave up on the Lyr/Mad Dog combo because it was too dark, regardless of which tube I used. I still have the Lyr, so am hoping it pairs better with the Alphas. Plus, I like having a bad-ass looking tube amp on my work deskspace. People ask what it is is and I am like, "What, you've never seen glowing vacuum tubes before?"
 Need to throw the Alpha Dog in there as well. In the price range, Alpha and HE-560 are very similar. As of right, I am planning on picking up an Alpha for work and an HE-560 for my home set-up, but if the PM-1 can squeak in there, I'll gladly pay a few bucks extra.
 That's...amazing. I rented an LCD 2 and I couldn't even begin to analyze the sound because of the clamp and weight, which were unbearable within 15 minutes. In the end, HE-500 was similar, but it took a few hours for them to start hurting my ears. I liked their sound, but I can see where people say they sound "cavernous". Much more forgiving than the HE-800.
This is the first high profile headphone launch I've been anticipating and I really like how they are doing it, reaching out to the community. To me, the achilles heel of planars has been their weight (including the HE-500) and I'm really happy they went ahead and addressed this, unlike Audeze did with the X and XC, which are the same designs. I'm still mildly interested in the Oppo PM-1's, but I was hoping they'd be doing something similar that we're seeing in this...
 For the HD800, I set it to minimum delay. It adds more impact to the music and it's not quite the relentless assault of information that the HD800 is known for. Decay is still super-fast, just easier to process everything. For the Mad Dogs/HD600, I prefer sharp rolloff. It's way more dynamic and fun. So pretty safe to say headphones with a slower decay, I prefer sharp rolloff. Unlike the upsampling, this feature is quite effective and worth playing around with. For the...
 Guess you got a different sales rep. The one I got couldn't give me a definitive answer. Oh well, I haven't opened mine yet, but have had no issues so far.
 It's garbage. I just leave mine at X1 (regular). Sounds the cleanest, the others sound busier.
Update: I changed sources. The USB DAC input apparently isn't quite ready to work miracles from my computer quite yet. My new source is my DX50 player running Rockbox (coax output). Makes quite a difference, I was definitely picking up jitter before which resulted in high frequency noise and fatigue. The DAC's I had previously were the same way...Average to poor performance from the PC USB, but stepped up their game via Coax. I just never liked using the DX50 previously...
Go to Files -> Mnt -> external_sd. Took me a half hour to figure it out. I Won't be able to test the coax output until Monday because the DAC I need to try it with is at work (yes, I actually do work at my workplace!) but I grabbed my SR-80 and popped them into the headphone output. Holy ****, this thing actually sounds like...music. No complaints about sound. Zero. None. No bass issues. No treble issues. No complaints about the internal headphone amp (I've never been a...