Posts by Zoo Animal

I am looking for a IEMs that hlave a flush to the ear fit and minimal protrusion outside of the ear. Part of their duty will be for listening under a motorcycle helmet and they shouldn't be able to get pulled off when the helmet goes on. For other quieter times, I am also looking for something with good SQ. Source will be an iPhone, pod or pad so decent efficiency is also a consideration. Max price is around $150USD but always happy to get by cheaper :P I haven't bought...
 I really am asking here, aren't the Dragonfly or Meridian Explorer exactly the same and set to 0 db at power up? I can see where it makes sense and where it is a problem. If you are using the dac section and going into amp/pre this would be the optimal standard. Plugging cans in you could see where lowest volume on power up would be a better standard. I am not sure anyone is doing that yet. I have used it on Mac, PC and Linux..none have jumped volume or had any issues...
Someone correct if I am wrong here..this is an issue with Windows and volume control settingsIf you have OS/Software volume control enabled AND use the buttons on the GO this seems to be where the problems are.If you would like to use the GO volume buttons, disable software/OS volume control.If you would like to use software/OS volume control...don't use the GO volume buttons.  Extra witchy with an ASUS as you'll have to set both the RealTek audio control panel and Windows...
 It's a pretty good point of contention if you've got the chops to follow along with the different arguments. I would suggest a search on computeraudiophile.com on DXD or DSD if would like to hear from some heavyweights...it is interesting, and fighty...usually :P My very laymans or listeners view is this - The two sound different and I like both.  Recordings done with a 1 bit DSD ADC have a signature or fingerprint that isn't lifted once it is converted to PCM/DXD for...
 2L records are using a DXD ADC, considering the GO is capable of these rates you're likely better off selecting that over DSD from this source. He basically converts the DXD to DSD after the fact...which you could do on your own. Acoustic Sounds is having a rare 10% sale on their DSD right now. These are typically tape transfers with an actual DSD ADC. They give a little info on the provinance of their recordings which helps give some peace of mind. Tomorrow is the last...
 Give it a week or two of playtime and check back with the MA900s. It warms up and fills out a bit. It can be deceiving out of the box as it has good prat and nothing that really shouts out that it needs break-in time but it really improves on already good.
The issue with the old USB module is that it won't play with OSX Mavericks or that it won't play integrated mode with A+. If neither of these apply to you you're likely in the free and clear. I would guess that the new version will be an bettered solution in SQ and cure above ills. Even so there are work-arounds for the older module...play, enjoy, see what you think.
The MBP is great, no issues and you also get an ethernet connection should you decide to do a NAS or some sort of streaming solution later.  Maybe one of the smarter people can comment what is going on inside the Air..fewer battery cells in series, so less voltage?Lighter/smaller battery cell so less current? Pint sized system bus that isn't up to snuff?
  Under Windows 8.1 with the first version of the driver (not sure if they have released another or not) using either Foobar or Jriver...the pressing the buttons together for 3D would never affect volume. It is the same under Linux and Mac for me. Setting 3D never affects volume whether driving from the GO or software.  My GO has just an okay fit in the USB port of my lappy, just a little loose. Any looser and I could see where power might get interupted pressing the...
The USB bus on the Air can be tricky, I don't think it's in full spec with power output. The same with other extra small, slim & light notebooks. To save on battery or weight they'll knock down the amount of current out of USB spec.    The MBP doesn't have these problems and they are pretty close on price. You also get an ethernet port should you decide to use a NAS later on.