or Connect

Posts by MenacingTuba

Tested out my T90's with a few DAC/AMP combos: Aune S16, Essence HDACC, Fiio X5 and Sony UDA-1.  The Fiio X5 is barely powerful enough to comfortably drive them while the Aune and Essence's volume needs to be set to 80%.  The Sony has more than enough power, but I barely used it.  All of the devices were sibilance free in my tests which I found surprising considering all of the reports.  I'd like to have more volume but I'm dubious about the quality of the cheaper AMPs...
The unit I purchased must be powered on and off multiple times to get rid of the garbled audio when connected vial optical to my consoles, but it works fine otherwise.  It does not have enough power to drive AKG K712's comfortably, but it handles my Beyerdynamic T90 well (70-85/100 volume is good depending on the source) and barely has enough power for my friends DT 990 600 ohm.  The sound quality is amazing, but my reference points are limited to my former receiver, Fiio...
These aspects appeal to me more since I like the idea of transparency more than the Marantz 'sound.'  Both would likely satisfy me, but I chose the S16 for its aesthetics and hipster qualities (undiscovered).
So you found the Marantz to be significantly better than the Aune S16?  I prefer the way the S16 looks, but don't have the option to try either out.
I have the Beyerdynamic T90 and am trying to decide between the Marantz and Fostex HP-A8.  I read this post, but am unsure as to how the differences would apply to the T90.  I don't find the T90 to be too bright, but wonder if the Marantz would make them so.  I prefer the Fostex's aesthetics, but the Maranz is cheaper and I can't try out either unit.  I don't care about DSD or HD Tracks since the majority of the music I listen to is not available in these formats.  Both...
A specific suggestion would be nice, though I will likely never listen to Diana Krall and they did pass 4/5 of my sibilance tests.  I don't find them harsh when listening to female vocals or content with lots of symbols.  In fact, I find them less harsh than my K712s which are also less clear, bassy and have a smaller sound stage.  I guess veiled is the most accurate adjective I can think of to describe the K712s vs T90s.  The T90s also don't require as much power to drive...
After picking the AKG K712's over these two years ago I could not handle wondering about the quality of these anymore.  I was put off by the sibilance reports since I hate sibilance and found the DT 880's very sibilant, but have not had an issue with these after trying the tracks which the DT 880s ruined (Be Your Sound by Emma Hewitt and Explain by Faunts).  They also require far less volume than my AKG K712's and are far bassier than the 880's. Almost all of my of my...
My nearly two year old phones started to suffer from the dreaded bass rattle when connected to both of my sources (SBZ and Denon 1713) so I will be sending them in to AKG/Harmon Canada. I chose these over the T90's since I disliked how sibilant the 880's were, but want to actually try them out.
PFE 122 w/ grey filters sound noticeably better when connected to my new Fiio X3 vs. my Sansa Clip Zip, still need to compare the Fiio to my SBZ though.
Returned Beyerdynamic DTX 102 IE's for Audeo Phonak PFE 122's which sound amazing with my Sound Blaster Z, and much better than the DTX's with my Sansa Clip Zip, but know I need a better portable source.  The PFE 122's sound significantly better than my AKG K712's as well which is nice.  Guess I need to buy a Fiio X3 or X5.