Posts by TrancerSte

I am a big fan of the sound of the Shure SE215s - the 215 LTDs are still my backup IEM - but the IM70s are definitely better imo. I listen almost entirely to electronic (mainly trance and techno) and they are just perfect for this. The bass it at least as powerful as the SE215 LTDs and goes just as low, but the mids sound much clearer and it's altogether a fuller, more 'complete' sound. My only complaint with the IM70s so far is the isolation is not quite up to the level...
I have the IM70s and I must say they are fantastic. Once I found a tip that gives a good fit and seal I prefer the sound to my previous favourite Shure SE215LTDs.   As for durability, no problems so far and the fixed cable connectors seem much stronger than the 360 degree rotating Shure ones. I treat my earphones like sh!t, shove them in my bag, use them for running, cycling, gym etc and basically consider them disposable. If they break within a year I'll warranty them,...
I just bought the IM70s but I found that none of the supplied tips gave a good seal - I think I have big ear holes - so bass was very lacking and isolation was poor. I bought some Comply comfort (the more rounded ones) which are a lot better, but ideally I'd like some even larger. The best tips I've ever used are the largest Shure foams. Does anyone know of anything similar to these that will fit the IM70s?
 I flashed cRoid Simple and had some weirdness with ring/notification tones not showing up. Rather than reflash it I flashed HellKat just for a look and it's really good. I'm not keen on the red UI and some of the English in the menu options is pretty bad, but I can live with that. My FiiO E07K works fine and the battery life is epic. LTE, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, and everything else is enabled, running for 7 hours and only gone down to 87%, and that's including 45 minutes of...
If you've got LTE you actually need far less local storage? My music library is close to 1TB and it's all as good as stored on my 32GB Nexus 5. I run an FTP on my NAS -- or if you don't have a NAS most half-decent routers support FTP access to a USB attached HDD -- forward port 21 from WAN (my ISP provides me a static IP / hostname but you can use a free DynDNS/No-IP for convenience), and I can download whatever music I want straight to my phone with ES File Explorer...
 Looks good, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip! Also hosted on xda as a devdb project so the 200MB zip downloaded in 20 seconds rather than 2 hours+ like some [Android File Host etc] ;)
Can folks with a Nexus 5 share what ROM / kernel combination they are currently running for USB audio support? I've been running DroidKang (CM11 base) for the past few months and it's damn stable with loads of good features. However it looks like the dev has gone AWOL (no updates in over a month) so I'm looking to switch, maybe to PAC -- http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2670238   Plug-n-play USB DAC support is a must. I know this was originally added via...
 If a mouse won't even work then it sounds like your USB OTG cable might be dodgy, or not actually a proper OTG / USB host cable. Try another one.
 Seriously, just unlock it and get CyanogenMod on there. It might seem daunting at first but it's well worth doing. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend an inexperienced user dive into this for Samsung, HTC etc devices, the brilliance of a Nexus device is that even though the nightlies are still technically alpha builds they are 100% stable. I've been running various nightly builds of CM11 since the first release preview without a single problem. USB audio devices have...
Slightly off-topic but relevant and might be of interest to a few people -- with a custom kernel and a bit of Googling I have managed to get my Nexus 5 to mount CIFS shares from my NAS. The upshot of this is the contents appear as a local directory (I created mount-points under /sdcard/cifs/) and are playable / indexable with whatever media player you want to use.    I know Neutron can access CIFS shares indirectly but in my experience the implementation is a bit flaky,...