Posts by oriise

Refault, Thanks a bunch. Very helpful. I am now leaning towards the ALO. Just a couple of final questions - how would you characterize the differences over the Duet on 1/ the degree of difference in width and depth to the soundstage 2/ high frequency detail/extension and 3/ the amount of ambient cues/wetness/reverb trails? Though I like the Duet on some level, I find it somewhat closed in on soundstaging, have darker/subdued highs and loosing some ambient cues that I would...
Hi refault, Thanks for your great impressions. Since you own both the Duet and the MkIII B+, your opinion carries a lot of weight. On hiss factor alone with sensitive IEMs, on a percentage basis, how much more hiss would you say you hear between tracks at normal listening levels with the ALO versus with the Duet?? And for the bass part, would you say the bass also, although more impactful, is perhaps less defined than with the Duet? Finally, would you say the overall ALO...
Great. That's a relief. One less investment to worry about. Thanks for the heads up. Regards, Ole.
Sam, Would a firmware upgrade be available to current AK owners by shipping in their DAPs? How has iRiver handled firmware upgrades in the past? Thanks, Ole.
I am selling the original Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo (CLAS) preferred by many Head-Fiers. This is the CLAS to own, with the original Wolfson DAC and 2 Vrms output, almost twice as powerful as the immediate follow-up model with the AKM DAC. Many feel it has deeper bass and more slam than the db.   The CLAS DAC for sale is in 100% perfect working condition, has only VERY minor wear and comes with all original parts including the stock interconnect package or optional...
Shotgunshane, Thanks for the great input. I myself had an Algorhythm solo going into an ALO amp before buying the AK120. It really took the sound quality to a whole new level. And having an ALO amp right as we speak, I am definitely familiar with the noise level. I though perhaps they had fixed this with the Mark III B+ but if not, that's pretty much a deal killer for me. Plus, I am all about spaciousness and air, even at the cost of some bass slam (there's always trade...
Maricius, Wow. Thanks a bunch for steering me to these impressions. Just what I was looking for. Boy, this is really a tough one as I do like a little bass slam and impact on the go. But these comments speak to what value even more, wide and deep soundstaging. That's why I went with HD800's with my home rig instead of the Audeze in fact. The HDs are not the last word in bass impact by any means but the spacious and "you are in the room" presentation is just out of this...
Shotgunshane, Noticed in your profile that you own the AK240. How does the Duet marry with this unit? I own the AK 120 B Mod and can't decide between the Duet or the Mark III B. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Is the Duet better in a single-ended mode using the Solo DAC or do you like it just as much balanced with the AK? Thanks, Ole.
Shigzeo, How would you characterize the Duet vs the Mark III B+ in balanced mode with sensitive IEMS (mine are UE 11 Pros)? I am leaning towards the ALO as my AK120 B Mod is a little lean in the bass (line out) and the warmer signature plus bass "boost" is mighty tempting. Soundstage width and depth is also important to me. Is the ALO unit much noisier or just slightly noisier (liveable)? How about dynamics and slam? Would appreciate any input on this as I have yet to find...
Maricius, Found the comments from rudi. Was unaware of this thread until now - thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This thread is awesome! Will post some pics myself when I finally settle on the amp of choice (leaning towards the Duet but very tempted to go  Mark III B+ - that bass control function is mighty tempting!) Decisions, decisions!