Posts by yay101

This is what I would do, get both, have the schiit set up just for music in foobar/ whatever player you use and set a input switch for the amp so you never have to worry about un/replugging. Of course you might be satisfied with the music from the card and not want another DAC, or you might find yourself playing games that require specific technologies for positional audio being played less and less and be happy with the schiit. I know my bifrost is fine in arma3 for...
I think all you diyers know where this is going. Dual drive laptop, turn one drive bay into a internal odac. This could also work with any laptop/ tablet that takes a on motherboard sad as well like m2. Thoughts?
Honestly no idea sorry, I imagine there is, a few comments above someone mentions a computer audiophile user doing something similar on windows.
Alias', you can script scenarios in the Linux audio engine. Source = 5.1 then front is device 2 rear is device 1 center/ sub is device 3 with channels swapped etc etc. It seems complicated but its all very logical.
I have no idea how you would achieve it with windows, but with Linux its a feature of the audio system, number of digital outputs (including USB, optical etc) = number of DAC's you can run. I know years ago one of the paid DVD players for windows could do something similar. I can't image they would have killed the feature off.
IMO the world of surround sound has been won by PC's long ago. I've never heard anything in any price bracket that can match a cheap 5.1 system and a properly configured onboard soundcard for positioning. And if sound quality is really a massive deal for you then you can replace the cheap system with something with a bit more quality. Hell these days you can have 3 top of the line balanced output DAC's outputting 5.1, or 4 dac's for 7.1 etc etc all bitperfect whatever...
One exception for me personally are videogames in early access, and even then I've only backed a few in my entire life. I also don't back them for the benifits of early access, that's just a bonus. My list so far: Arma 3 - worked out well Logicbots - worked out well Next car game - incredibly promising, bugbear have delivered before so I have no doubt they can do it. Kingdom come - guys behind the first mafia game. So what does it take for you guys to put your money out...
Geek wave anybody? Hahahahaa
 If you are referring to usb audio 2.0, there is no excuse. Linux, BSD and OSX have all had support for a very, very long time. Hell the linux kernel and alsa have had support since the 2.6.4 (and thats only when i can see commits to the stable branch) kernel branch, thats really really old. Like ancient news as far as technology goes.If you are referring to technology in general, yeah i get that, kickstarter mentality. Or the capitalism mentality, depending on what your...
The problem has never been technology. Its always been people. Whether its people who are too stubborn to accept change or people like whoever is in charge of developing the audio engine at Microsoft. The technology and standard is there, its just people who are in the way.