Posts by yay101

Cuboxi/ raspberry pi? I can't help but feel like spending anything more on this would be a fools errand.
I was using a raspberry pi + volumio, works excellently unless you have a incompatible DAC and sadly the USB chip inside my Bifrost (with upgrade) is one of the very very few chips the pi can't handle very well so i moved to a super old laptop running daphile instead until my cuboxi with optical out arrives. Both of these options daphile (x86/64 hardware) and volumio (arm hardware) have no trouble with dsd/ any pcm formats and can pass whatever your dac can handle to it...
I certainly wouldn't group them, when bose can deliver audioengine sound for even only twice as much let me know.
Just adding my 0.02. All of the suggestions here for DAC's are all excellent, i would add the ODAC to the mix although it might be a bit too "flat" (neutral) sounding coming from analog. If you enjoyed the warmer analog sound (assuming you had warm gear) I'd say disregard that suggestion then.   Yes, there is "lots" (maybe hundreds of albums) available for download above 16/44. If you feel you are missing out later on adding a optical connector is about $20 (usb to...
The general rule is upgrade your drivers whether speakers or headphones for the biggest change in sound quality. I'd go headphones first :)
MPD is excellent as a daily player, the default limits on playlists can be annoying though. If I had a DSD capable DAC I would write a guide for setting it up, but sadly I do not.
At work, can't really reply. But just a heads up at this stage look at mpd for DSD/ DSF.
Both views definitely have merit. As long as it doesn't get personal or heated i see no issue with discussion. Of course pressing a point others don't want to discuss is also an issue in of itself though.   I understand why Jason hasn't commented, he probably has more information "coming soon" knowing the book thread. For those of us who are impatient (i would really like to know the difference for the optical out from my tv, if any) it can be very frustrating and seem...
Eh, i'm yet to hear a vinyl system that can beat an odac and a nice recording. Doesn't matter if it's $100 or $20000, I've never been impressed. For $4000 more you can have one less click or crackle per song! Yay!
This is what I would do, get both, have the schiit set up just for music in foobar/ whatever player you use and set a input switch for the amp so you never have to worry about un/replugging. Of course you might be satisfied with the music from the card and not want another DAC, or you might find yourself playing games that require specific technologies for positional audio being played less and less and be happy with the schiit. I know my bifrost is fine in arma3 for...