Posts by King of Pangaea

Of course if I am using the coax out it should automatically bypass the internal Sabre 32 DAC in the Oppo.  The Sabre DAC will only be engaged if I am outputting through XLR or unbalanced RCA.    I see nothing in the Oppo manual about disabling the Oppo DAC.  I have just started seriouosly playing with this beast starting yesterday and have nothing concrete to report yet.  I think I have everything wired up right. I shouldn't have any problem getting a third party...
What is an AP1/PP ?  The DAC in my Denon is a Burr Brown PCM 1796, supposedly better than the 1792 in the Sennheiser.  But please enlighten me what you mean about AP1/PP.   Thanks,   Bill
I just got my HDVD 800 a couple of days ago and set it up yesterday.  I used a balanced XLR in and alo a Toslink in from Oppo 95.  Can't really distinguish much difference, if any from using Sabre 32 chip in Oppo  with balanced XLR into amp and toslink into Burr Brown 1792 of HDVD800.  As for my Denon DVD3930 I ran it coax digital out and also unbalanced RCA out into HDVD 800.  Didn't sound much different than before, but I was just kicking back for awhile and lisening to...
Yes, he's a Headfier and I have read some of his excellent posts in the past.  I think he was mainly commenting on the Conductor.  Darku has posted some reviews in Romanian here in the past, then translated them.  Oh well, ears are ears, worldwide.
If you are looking for something cheaper you might want to consider the Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition. Some people have had success with Sennheiser pairing and it's a little over US$ 1K.  No analog in though, for digital feeds only.  I don't know what impedance it operates best with.  I encountered a video link about it I think on the Grace website awhile back.  Stereophile magazine did a somewhat lukewarm review on it a few months ago.  For anyone interested, see...
LCD XC are low impedance cans, so they may sound better with some other amp than the Sennheiser.  Many Burson owners say the Conductior works well with LCD2, LCD3,, I DON'T KNOW ABOUT LCDX but probably in the same camp.  Conductor also works well with HD800 but no telling if reverse logic is true.  Look at other threads, see what people are saying about whatever you're interested in.  The Senns, being high impedance cans definitely don't sound all that well with all...
I got the HDVD 800 to go with my HD800.  I don't know how it would do with Oppo phones.  Perhaps Oppo phones might work better with an Oppo amp, keeping everything in the same camp like I did.  I know the previous Burson, the HA160D did not work especially well with my HD 800s or my 600s either.  As I see it, it's all about synergy; What things work well with each other.  The only way to really find out is to put stuff together, put the phones to your ears, and let 'er...
OK, I did it.  I have an HDVD 800 coming in so I am committed.  Have an XLR cable coming in too to connect with my Oppo 95.  I plan on getting a long XLR4 cable from the amp to the HD800s soon too.  I don't know what you are going to get with an Oppo 103, it seems to me you need the 95 or 105 with their audio upgrade to get the full benefit of the HD800s no matter what amp you are using.  My Oppo 95 is a bit bass-shy so for most can listening I use my Denon player which is...
I would like an all in one Amp/DAC unit.  I know some people have issues with the DAC in the HDVD800.  I figure if I don't like it, I can use the Burr Brown out in my Denon and probably get what I like.  I also have an Oppo 95 with a Sabre chip DAC but it is a bit bass shy, although very detailed.  The Sabre DAC in the Burson was very detailed and the experience was not bass shy.  I am thinking some other component in the Oppo output stage is to blame.  I haven't heard...
An amp/DAC combo.  DAC is Saber 32 based.  I tried mainly using the Burson's DAC, then switched to the DAC in the Cary CD player and the Burson DAC was definitely superior.