Posts by King of Pangaea

I was referring to the Burson HA160D, the predecessor to the Conductor.  I was able to audition the Conductor locally and was able to distinguish a definite improvement over the HA160D, but decided to go with the HDVD800  instead because of balanced and multi-output and the fact that Sennheiser designed the amp for the HD800, so  best to keep it all in the same design house.  In addition most people reported good results with HD800 with either amp.  My little Creek amp had...
I alternate between CD players.  The PCM 1796 in my Denon DVD3930 is weightier and more robust than the Sabre 32 chip in my Oppo 95, but the Sabre chip is a bit more detailed.  They both have their advantages, depending on the music you are listening to at the moment.  Stravinsky will sound better on the Oppo with the Sabre chip whereas Bruckner, Mahler or rock and roll sound better on the Denon with the Burr Brown PCM 1796.  Each DAC chip has its own sonic signature and...
I can't answer about the Anniversary Edition.  I just briefly researched 702s in general.  Sorry.  Ask AKG.
I was considering trying a pair and looked into.  It seems they still are in production but being made in China.  Don't know it the same quality is still there.
I have found the DAC chips in both my CD players to be superior to the DAC in the HDVD800.  Senn uses Burr Brown PCM1792 based chip.  My Denon player uses Burr Brown PCM1796  and my Oppo 95 a Sabre 32 chip.  The HDVD DAC is OK but chips in better players are probably superior to it.
I have never heard HD650s.  I went straight from HD600s to HD800s.  Didn't bother with the in between because I figured I would eventually want to go all the way, so why bother with spending money at the halfway point, just go all the way and save the halfway cost.  I am basically satisfied with my HD800 and HDVD800 setup but was just thinking of experimenting with other cans that had a decent reputation.  Maybe someday I will try LCD3.  How do they sound with HDVD 800? ...
I have HDVD 800 and like many here occasionally like to experiment.  While I am satisfied with my HD 800s I notice that AKG 702s are now made in China and are cheaper.  Has anybody tried 701 or 702 with HDVD 800?  How about Creek OBH-11?    I really love my Senns, just feel like slumming a bit.
I see AKG 702s are now being made in China.  I long thought about sampling a pair of these, and since they are now cheaper, is there any loss in sound quality?    Just wondering, I am a Sennheiser 800 guy but like to experiment every now and then.  Thanks for any input. Would be driving them with either HDVD 800 or Creek OBH-11.
There was a review of the Muses Edition in the March (I believe) issue of Stereophile, the gist of which, as I remember, was it was OK, but not in the top tier of DAC/amps.  Remember, this is fine if you are only going to use digital sources, but has no analog inputs
Of course if I am using the coax out it should automatically bypass the internal Sabre 32 DAC in the Oppo.  The Sabre DAC will only be engaged if I am outputting through XLR or unbalanced RCA.    I see nothing in the Oppo manual about disabling the Oppo DAC.  I have just started seriouosly playing with this beast starting yesterday and have nothing concrete to report yet.  I think I have everything wired up right. I shouldn't have any problem getting a third party...