Posts by King of Pangaea

What's the difference?
Does the AKG 702 sound as good now that it is being manufactured in China?  As good as the Austrian models?   Just wondering, thanks
As of about a month of listening now I am quite happy with my SA8005.  My second Denon DVD3930 started acting up and I decided to move on to another machine venue before I got too frustrated and decided to go postal on it.  It is at least the equal of the Denon if not a tad better in detail.  As for my Oppo 95, after playing a CD on the Marantz, I moved it over to the Oppo and was immediately aware of the weight/substance loss.  The Oppo, while quite detailed, is just bass...
For any who might be interested, re the thread of thought I was pursuing before concerning best OS and etc. for music, the Jamuary issue of The Absolute Sound has a pertinent article on the subject in which they declare Windows to be superior sounding  to MAC OS for computer music purposes.   Article titled "New Methods for Quantifying Sonic...
Thanks everybody.  This should give me something to think about.  Plan on using a laptop and an external DAC into my HDVD800.  Probably a new one but I may resurrect an older Toshiba DDR2 era running Vista.  It has my iTunes on it in ALAC format and as soon as I reinstall some messed up drivers it should be good again.  I forget the chip exactly but it's some kind of Intel earlier dual core and with 4GB ram.  I have a much newer i5 laptop running W7 but the Toshiba...
I am considering moving my music to a computer based system.  What I need to know is:   1.  Does processor type or speed have any effect?  Is an i7 better than an i5 or something less?   2.  Does the OS make a difference.  This would be PC, not Mac.  Is one version of Windows preferred over others?  Is there anything wrong with using XP or Vista?   3.  Any suggestions concerning external hard drives?  Are some, or some types preferable over others?   4.  Any other...
I was referring to the Burson HA160D, the predecessor to the Conductor.  I was able to audition the Conductor locally and was able to distinguish a definite improvement over the HA160D, but decided to go with the HDVD800  instead because of balanced and multi-output and the fact that Sennheiser designed the amp for the HD800, so  best to keep it all in the same design house.  In addition most people reported good results with HD800 with either amp.  My little Creek amp had...
I alternate between CD players.  The PCM 1796 in my Denon DVD3930 is weightier and more robust than the Sabre 32 chip in my Oppo 95, but the Sabre chip is a bit more detailed.  They both have their advantages, depending on the music you are listening to at the moment.  Stravinsky will sound better on the Oppo with the Sabre chip whereas Bruckner, Mahler or rock and roll sound better on the Denon with the Burr Brown PCM 1796.  Each DAC chip has its own sonic signature and...
I can't answer about the Anniversary Edition.  I just briefly researched 702s in general.  Sorry.  Ask AKG.
I was considering trying a pair and looked into.  It seems they still are in production but being made in China.  Don't know it the same quality is still there.