or Connect

Posts by Bagheera

Just did some quick comparisons with the ATH-A900X (which I also really enjoy). Here are my impressions:   The A900X remains a more "fun" listen, with more pronounced upper-mid bass and upper treble. Gunshots and explosions in movies as well as percussive instruments in music still have more heft on the A900X (the "punch" provided by the upper-mid bass). K553 remains the more analytical-sounding of the two; in spite of the bass increase from the K550, the upper-mid...
Depends on your head size - clamping force feels comparable between the K550 and K553, to me. I have a larger head though, so both set provided sufficient seal for me. If the K550 was too loose for you then... you will probably be spending a few hours bending the headband on the K553. xD
Actually I saw a few online retailers selling K553 for close to the Mass Drop price (around $130, shipping included), not sure if those deals are still up (since they might have been competing with the Mass Drop deal)
Just got mine as well.   I also have a pair of K550 that I've owned for over two years. For those who were asking for a comparison, I have written up a review here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/778558/comparison-review-akg-k550-k553
Comparison Review: AKG K550 & K553   1. Background   It's been several years since the highly-rated AKG K550 came into the market. I have owned a pair of K550 for over two years now, and it's proven itself to be a versatile (if somewhat sterile-sounding) set - not as fun to listen to as the ATH-A900X I bought for my wife, but over time I have grown fond of them.   For those of you who haven't heard, AKG has just released a (supposedly) updated model, called K553....
Short of a recabling, I would just get a cable tie. :)
The bass body improves quite a bit after the earpads are worn in. The drivers are too far away from the ears when the pads are still brand new, which causes both sharp-sounding treble and unbalanced bass.   That said, the lower-mids and upper-bass region in the K550 is a bit recessed, which is both why it is such a clean-sounding headphone, and why several reviews called them thin-sounding. Coming from the rich and full-bodied sound signature of AT headphones, these took...
Hiss/sibilance isn't an issue with the A900X in my opinion; the treble on these is about as unoffensive as it can get.   The drivers are angled, so there really is only one orientation and you'll figure it out pretty quickly. xD  Personally I've always found AT headphones to have some of the most comfortable cups/earpads design; the angled drivers means a lot of room in the rear, meaning the back of the ears don't get pressed on (this is actually a bit of an issue with...
  As aforementioned, I strongly recommend using something elastic (rubberband or hair tie) rather than shoe string. :) Easier, self-adjusting, and looks better.
  Actually upon closer inspection, the downforce provided by the wings do seem to be slightly less than the wings on the A9X.  They still don't slide down my head, though - I think because my head is fairly large and the clamping force alone is keeping the headphones in place (and the A900X clamps pretty tight, in my opinion).   They do slide down my wife's head, however - though the problem is mitigated somewhat after I switched out the earpads (the A1000 pads have more...