Posts by Bagheera

Short of a recabling, I would just get a cable tie. :)
The bass body improves quite a bit after the earpads are worn in. The drivers are too far away from the ears when the pads are still brand new, which causes both sharp-sounding treble and unbalanced bass.   That said, the lower-mids and upper-bass region in the K550 is a bit recessed, which is both why it is such a clean-sounding headphone, and why several reviews called them thin-sounding. Coming from the rich and full-bodied sound signature of AT headphones, these took...
Hiss/sibilance isn't an issue with the A900X in my opinion; the treble on these is about as unoffensive as it can get.   The drivers are angled, so there really is only one orientation and you'll figure it out pretty quickly. xD  Personally I've always found AT headphones to have some of the most comfortable cups/earpads design; the angled drivers means a lot of room in the rear, meaning the back of the ears don't get pressed on (this is actually a bit of an issue with...
  As aforementioned, I strongly recommend using something elastic (rubberband or hair tie) rather than shoe string. :) Easier, self-adjusting, and looks better.
  Actually upon closer inspection, the downforce provided by the wings do seem to be slightly less than the wings on the A9X.  They still don't slide down my head, though - I think because my head is fairly large and the clamping force alone is keeping the headphones in place (and the A900X clamps pretty tight, in my opinion).   They do slide down my wife's head, however - though the problem is mitigated somewhat after I switched out the earpads (the A1000 pads have more...
You can buy the A1000 pads directly from Audio Technica's parts department for something like $39, I think. :)   If you are tight on money, I think the A900 pads will work as well; they only cost $7 from Audio Technica (similar shape as A1000 pads, so reduction in bass should be similar, but very cheap pleather)
Hey everyone! :D Just wanted to post a little tweak I did to the A900X, which will help those of you who find these cans to be on the bassy side (like me).   I was staring at my ATH-A9X and the ATH-A900X side-by-side.  My A9X has the A1000 pads installed (which is similar in shape and material to its stock pads; it has better pleather than the A900X pads). The A1000 pads has oval opening, while the A900X pads have round opening (which makes the holes a lot...
Don't have a DT 770 for comparison, but K550 has a very different sound signature from the A900X (seriously, ignore all the other comparison reviews that say they sound similar; because they don't); you can check out the comparison review in my sig. :)   The K550 is thinner and more neutral, which IMO makes it less musical. The A900X - aside from being a bit bassy for my taste - sounds a lot richer and more full-bodied. It's a much more intimate and lively sort of...
AT does make on-ear headphones, some of which has pretty good reviews here as well. Look them up! :)
Most Audio-Technicas are fairly easy to drive and don't really require amping (SQ gain is minimal). Amping will likely give you more volume and better bass control (tighter).