or Connect

Posts by wahsmoh

I second this. There is no treble harshness for me when listening to the TH-X00 and that is with Alpha pads too. When I first heard them out of the box I was a little worried cause it wasn't the sound I was hoping for.   Anyways I believe it's a combination of driver burn in and brain adjusting to the sound signature.   I don't understand people that buy a headphone and listen to it for a short time before deciding to cast it off. It's like gear selling becomes a hobby...
I like the HD600 a little more than the DT880 because it has a slightly smoother treble. But if paired with a good DAC I don't think the DT880 is as bright as people think. I've  heard it with different DACs over the years and they suit the signature different. Also the HD600 isn't the last word in deep bass and neither is the DT880 but I think there is more subbass with the DT880 than HD600. With music that has bass instruments and not bass wobbles it wouldn't matter much...
I have to agree on the WTA filter. Going the road untraveled to better sound is what has made Mr. Rob Watts and Mike Moffat so successful. They were able to deliver superior filtering which makes up a big chunk of the music experience. Ringing, post ringing, phase accuracy, etc. etc. is why off-the-shelf chips sound like off the shelf chips until they've corrected these problems.   Usually cheap filters don't do this well enough or Parks-McClellan and a DAC with a...
Sounds delicious. I have been experimenting with alcohol and one of them is pisco from Peru. My girlfriend is Peruvian-Japanese and I've bought some decent pisco here in the US. It is a clear alcohol that is made from grapes, like brandy but without age. Just the best harvested grapes (usually green ones) and intensely strong. Another special thing about pisco is that it is distilled to proof at 43%. Many alcohols are watered down to bring them to their volume. Not for the...
Here's an update to my PC rig. I just got the GTX1080 Founder's Edition from Nvidia and somehow managed to squeeze the card into my mid-tower case with about 2cm between my SSD and graphics card.   The performance of my PC is off the charts now..  just ridiculous speed especially for having the i7 2600k which is almost 7 years old. Nonetheless it still beats newer CPUs in some rendering benchmarks which comes as a surprise.  
I use TH-X00s on the side of my HD600. Definitely a great headphone to own if you want more subbass for genres that don't cater to the HD6xx series.
Thanks for the tip!! I may try this. I haven't listened to my Bifrost MB in months.. I still like the unique Theta house sound.. which has a lot of authority and punch and more so than the MB. I felt the Bifrost MB was a major step above the Bifrost Uber though in imaging and soundstage. The Bifrost Uber sounded embarrassing after comparing it to my Theta I bought in May. It was very L/R channel sounding and sucked with video games. I hooked up the Theta and ran S/PDIF out...
 This was posted in the Vintage R2R DAC thread. This was someone who went from Modi2 to R2R
It might be your DAC? I found the Bifrost Uber sounded closed in compared to my Theta and the Theta is a 20 year old DAC but had a state of the art digital filter in it that is used currently in the Yggdrasil.  If the Uber was better than the Modi, and the Modi is equivalent to the ODAC... I'd get a better DAC for sure and you might see just how far these headphones will scale.. Also you must try well-mastered recordings. There are CD recordings out there that sound just...
+2 to the HD600. I own HD600s and TH-X00 and they compliment each other perfectly. The HD600 naturally has the larger soundstage, slightly more transparent.. as in sounding clearer. The TH-X00 is a better jack of all trades. The HD600 lacks subbass and is more suited for vocals, acoustic, classical, live instruments -- but it does that best. The TH-X00 I listen to just about everything else with... rock, hip-hop, EDM, dance, pop, synthpop, 80s music, Prince... etc. You...