Posts by wahsmoh

I agree with you though Bill that at $250-300 the DT880 is the more well-rounded headphone especially for people who want their first taste of what headphones have to offer. You are right though that the DT880 is more suitable for certain types of music, especially classical and airy vocals like Bjork or Cocteau Twins. Spending $600 is quite a bit of money for a new Head-fier. That would take the AD's out of the picture for most people. Getting the DT880 + a DAC/amp combo...
Wow very jealous you managed to find a pair of the old DT880. They are becoming increasingly rare.
I have to strongly disagree with your analysis Bill P. Saying that "I do not agree that the Alpha Dog is better than the DT880 at anything." Is going to make people think that the DT880 is the last stop on the road to transparency or that the Alpha Dog doesn't technically do things better than the DT880(which you'd have to be deaf to not hear). For example, if you like EDM or neo-soul anything that needs serious control in the bass the DT880 won't suffice.  Try this song...
For the price of the DT880 you're fine sticking with it until you save up for something above $500, think Alpha Dog, SR-007 MKII, HE-400i, HE-560i(I have heard manufacturing differences, I wouldn't buy till I try), LCD2F(sacrifice comfort), EL-8, ZMFxVibro, HE-1000, LCD-3F. Your next headphone audition should be a planar or electrostat unless you are the kind of person who hears something and immediately wants to buy it best to save your wallet before it's to late and...
I would say the Alpha Dog is better across the board except airiness and openness(duh). The Alpha Dog wins in tonality, musicality, bass slam, natural mid range, treble is less emphasized but more neutral(not as shimmery as the DT880 or as separated from the rest of the sound). The Alpha Dog brings you 10% closer than the DT880 to hearing the music as realistically as it should sound. I would say the SR-009 adds that extra 5% to the Alpha Dog at the cost of an arm and a...
No but I've auditioned the Alpha Dogs, SR-009, Alpha Prime, Hifiman HE-560, LCD-3F all side by side at the San Diego Head-fi meet. From my memory the SR-009 is an almost colorless headphone that has amazing transparency(much like the best planars but "faster") leaning towards the dynamic sound but without grain or artificiality.It is also a  headphone that is tuned almost perfectly ideal for a well balanced listening experience.SR-009 beats the DT880 in tonality, speed,...
Also Yahoo Japan.. I see a lot of audio products go up for sale on that website in yen
That is horrible. I am sure the criminals will find out the hard way when they try to sell the gear and it becomes identified as stolen property very quickly
Right now I am listening to Cocteau Twins I downloaded in FLAC from 4AD records. The DT880 is an awesome headphone.. I think they are genre specific and love airy female vocals such as those from the aforementioned band. Neutral, I take back anything about being "bright" the treble is just right for lower volume listening and makes for a very balanced and ethereal sound, although the slight grain is why it stops shy of Stax SR-009 territory or electrostat and planar...
This thread is just a rant and offers little help to anyone looking for headphones.. The Alpha Prime sounded like a closed SR-009 to my ears as far as it's transparency. I'm not going to elaborate but it's just a better headphone than the Alpha Dog albeit by 2-5% in my honest opinion. The soundstage is much wider and 3D, placement of instruments is more spread out, less glare in the treble, less THD, and better low volume detail. Sorry you had a faulty pair or maybe not a...