or Connect

Posts by wahsmoh

I heard the HA-1 at Can Jam 2015 for 15 minutes and while that may seem like not a lot of time, it gave me enough time to make a decision that it was something I am not buying. Why? It had a tinge of glare to it, soundstage wasn't the biggest I've ever heard, but the bass and low end was much like the Bifrost Uber. I would buy the HA-1 for amp and skip the DAC section. Oh ya and like always, YMMV
That's my only reluctance with buying Sennheiser HD600 is the plastic build quality and tighter clamp than the DT880. I really want to own the HD600s so then I can say I own three reference grade headphones and I can offer more comparisons. I also liked the sound signature of a few HD600 setups I have heard. There is that "euphonic" Sennheiser sound that can draw you in. I'm interested though in having the HD600 mostly as a compliment to my DT880. The Alpha Dogs are more...
They are a fantastic headphone and when I first bought them and used cheaper equipment I felt they had a tendency to be strident and I was unimpressed with the bass. So I can't be sure if it was the burn-in or the fact that I had cheap gear when I first started my journey.   Anyways I think they sound great and scale slightly better with higher end gear but they still don't have as satisfying low end as some planars do and the mids you can tell are coming from a...
1x PCM67-P, and 1x Motorola DSP56001 with a crystal semiconductor receiver chip
Awesome! I think you will be in for an amazing listening experience. 2x PCM 63-P should make some sweet music and yours is upgraded too
That's a good DAC. Used custom algorithm and 20-bit DAC and had a DSP section that was where the algorithm filter was based. I'd dust it off and give it a run if I were you
Dang you've really pushed forward on that Monarchy 22B. It's a bummer when you receive something vintage and anxiously wait to turn it on and find out it is DOA. Glad that there was a fix for it and these old DACs are usually repairable (unless it's a vintage DAC or receiver chip, or your silicon is cracked) I'm thinking of hot-rodding my Theta DS Pro Progeny with new caps but I'm just happy that it works. If I can find anyone local to me in Southern California I would...
I listened to a song today that I was able to conclude the two bitrate versions sounded different in one portion of the song that really tested the high and low frequencies..   The Promise by When in Rome.. a one hit wonder 80s song. I found the rare CD and compared it to the 256kbps mp3 I found on iTunes and a mp3 I ripped myself from the CD.   The two 256kbps versions sounded identical and the point in the song where they sounded different from the lossless FLAC CD...
I use a $15 Toslink cable that I bought at Fry's electronics a few years ago to connect my DAC to the S/PDIF pass through of my soundcard. I tried a few USB-coax converters and used it with my Theta.. and then said @#^% this they all sound like #%@.. so now I use the toslink cable that receive pure PCM from my soundcard..   I like interfering as little as possible and I'm pretty sure light traveling through strands of plastic will have less jitter than a signal being...
Just as notorious as nwavguy, definitely not as elusive.