Posts by spindex

I've been using KEF M-500s as my portable headphone for a while now.  I've preferred them to Sennheiser Momentums because I think they can be more sensibly EQed and are a tad realistic, though those compressed sounding mids on the KEFs are often obnoxious.   I've heard great things about the Beyerdynamic T51p's but I don't want to jump ship too hastily; I wasn't exactly sold on the soundscape of the DT1350s and the build of the T51ps seems a tad more awkward and less...
The way the reviewer describes the cans as "high resolution" and vivid yet leaning toward "veiled" is how I would describe the mids to upper mids as feeling hot and compressed in signature.   I wouldn't say these cans lack detail or accuracy, they just present it in a warm resonance in many of the dominant frequencies.
I wouldn't call the bass for Sennheiser Momentums bloated either.  Just "obvious" to my ear when I try to EQ.   Neutral, Balanced, etc. are very subjective with such an imperfect technology as portable headphones, and I couldn't agree more.  I'll just say the M500s feel more versatile than most portables I've tried.   I agree the highs on the M500s can be a little overwhelming.  For instance try listening to ABBA at a high volume with them.  In about 15 minutes you...
 I prefer them and it seems many others do too.  But I only used Momentums for 2 hours and I've used the M500s for a good 12 hours now. I'd like to do a side-by-side comparison. They're definitely as versatile as Momentums. For me, Momentums' little bass bump sounds odd/silly in an otherwise laid back and subdued soundscape.  I think I prefer soundstage on the Momentums over the M500s; a bit more room to breathe especially with an over-ear design, but the imaging on M500s...
Indeed they are quite good.  My initial impression is only meant to bring them in perspective and offer a balanced description.  I do prefer them over the Momentums because they are just as versatile and feel "faster", more authentic, less subdued with good body.  The soundstage for a portable I am sure is quite good and I prefer them over the other phones listed, as everyone else seems to.   I am happy with them so far and will give a small update as I continue to...
Well I took a gamble and ordered a pair of these. They came overnight in record speed!   They are quite good.  It's difficult to make a fair comparison in device class. My venture experiences in audiophile-hood the past 8 months have been with larger setups and over-ear cans.  I've never extensively used a pair of on-ears before and for portable I've only extensively used Klipsch Image S-4 IEMs. So take my impressions with a grain of salt.    Regarding portables I...
  Because of noise isolation or other issues? Let me know because I am really close to buying these and I'm on the "subway" 2 hours every day.
Based off reviews I am very interested in purchasing M-500s.  A shame it's hard to find a store/dealer to demo them. Anyone know a dealer near NYC?   Anyhow, I'm looking to an alternative to Momentums--they've got great build quality and an even sound, also easy to EQ.  But when you really try to crank them up or amp them that mid-bass bias is unavoidable.  Not a big fan of the retro-look either.   It sounds like the KEF M-500s will resolve high...
Based off reviews I am very interested in purchasing M-500s.  A shame it's hard to find a store/dealer to demo them. Anyone know a dealer near NYC?   Anyhow, I'm looking to an alternative to Momentums--they've got great build quality and an even sound, also easy to EQ.  But when you really try to crank them up or amp them that mid-bass bias is unavoidable.  Not a big fan of the retro-look either.   It sounds like the KEF M-500s will resolve high frequencies...
Hi guys, looking for suggestions on a good pair of closed capsule, durable and compact cans.   Background:   It was only 6 months ago I got a quality pair of cans for home use.  I got M-50s after experimenting with half a dozen other pairs, some far more expensive, but all of which revealed a bit too much bias for the price in some facet.   By no means do I find ATH-M50s to be a perfect solution.  I simply didn't want to pay more only to discover a coloration...