Posts by Aerocraft67

I had a nice chat with one of the HiFiMAN reps as a new HE-500 customer, and he didn't regale me with any incentives to upgrade. He also didn't tip his hand about a potential HE-6 upgrade.
I made the trip on Sunday, figuring it would be slower and easier to navigate. My impression was favorable. Excellent selection of gear to try, and nice people demonstrating them. Really worth getting out of the internet rut for this kind of thing in person. I hope the event was successful enough to remain an annual event. Clearly the demographics are favorable in the area. Time of year might not be ideal, but I'm sure the trade-off is in securing cost-effective space in...
I looked a little closer and based on some discussion in the HE-560 thread this appears to be a classic issue without an authoritative explanation that stirs up strident debate over various conjectures. I suppose it wouldn't help to rephrase the question, "why does HiFiMan specify 150 hours of continuous use for optimum performance." I just figured since it was a manufacturer recommendation that there'd be a reasonably discrete explanation; definitely don't mean to stir up...
I'm just going by the manual, which specifies playing music for 150 hours before proper performance ensues. It doesn't say to you have to listen during that period, which implies a reason other than psychological effect. The manual doesn't say much else which implies the pre-playing is as important as anything. Unfortunately it does not give an explanation.
I just bought an HE-500. I'm new to planar magnetic headphones. I feel a little silly piping music into them constantly for a week, trying not to form too much of an impression before the specified break-in time. First impressions are favorable nevertheless. I couldn't find an explanation handy—why do they need such a long break-in time? 
 Good point about the maximum power, but the point is not to use all 800 mW to drive SPL above the point of hearing damage. The point is that the V2's design supplies more power than most amplifiers for the HD 800, which suggests its design is particularly suitable for the HD 800. With power output not a problem, the V2's design budget can theoretically be allocated elsewhere to achieve optimal performance at its price point. As opposed to, say, the LCD-3, for which V2...
I think it makes sense to spec amps for the HD 800 at 600 Ω, since the HD 800 impedance varies across the frequency range, and busts up over 600 Ω at 150 Hz or so. Still, as StanD points out, A2 should provide ample headroom (190 mW into 600 Ω yielding 125 SPL into an HD 800 by my reckoning). That said, Schiit's own Lyr/2, Mjolnir, and Valhalla/2 all deliver more power into 600 Ω. The V2 rules them all at 800 mW, 131 SPL for the HD 800 (!). Nearly double the power of...
 You could get a Magni with a spare wall wart to port back and forth between your rigs for $10 less than an O2 with arguably better performance for the HD 650. Better yet, ask Schiit about a second cord for your A2. Having the cord at each station makes the box a lot more portable. 
If budget is a priority, but you also want some flexibility, then Magni & Modi seem tough to beat. You can put away the extra $150 you'd have spent on Asgard 2 towards your next headphone. 
Well I didn't get much action on my OTL question, but I looked into it in the meantime. Basically, the high impedance of the HD 650 and its ilk accommodate the negative trade-offs associated with an OTL valve amp design exceptionally well—they're somewhat immune to the side effects of an OTL design (mainly the high output impedance). The OTL design frees up all the difficulties of deploying a high-performing transformer, which are apparently formidable, even though OTL...