or Connect

Posts by Thujone

Thanks a lot, I'm glad I can help. 
Lots of questions, I'll try to sum-up as much as possible (with some quick comparisons to the other HE series headphones you've mentioned).   -The HE-4 is lighter than the HE-400, HE-5LE, HE-500, and HE-6. -The HE-4 is more spacious sounding than the HE-400, HE-400S, HE-400i, HE-5LE, HE-500, and HE-6 (I can't speak for the HE-560). -The HE-4 has punchier bass than the HE-400S, HE-400i, HE-5LE, HE-500, and HE-6. -The HE-4 has a very rough treble region that can make or...
Thanks to new amps showing up, I won't need my Ember anymore. I've had this for what seems to be forever (original owner). This is Ember V1 with all the upgrades under the hood (supercharger, namely) to bring it to a pseudo-V2. But, to be clear, I got the supercharger installed and, according to Jeremy's email:   " - Changed the input caps - Modded input to current spec which further eliminates scratch with certain tubes / tested and I cannot detect any scratch now -...
Selling these because they just don't get the head-time they deserve. I played around with a bunch of pads and took measurements (see pics). I preferred the Focus A Pad for these cans, but I'm putting all three pairs (stock, Focus, Focus A) in with this package.   Only things to note: -One stock pad as a slight break in the plastic (pic - EDIT: realized it didn't upload, I'll try again later), I tried glueing it but gave up since I wasn't using it anyway. Doesn't affect...
 I am using the Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8 and I have a really loud noise floor with the TH-X00?
I mentioned this a couple pages ago. I did not experience the TH-X00 out of Ember without a very noticeable noise floor. The noise is tube dependent, but most people have not experienced the Fostex TH series on Ember without noise.
Very sweet. I'm hoping I'll get that kind of impression from the Beta22. I'm not ready for a 2k amp investment... yet. Hard to pass up deals like that though.
Nope, haven't had the privilege of trying a speaker amp yet, but I will when I can. I had the Emotiva mini with my HE-4 at one point and while it had more bass it was pretty terribly grainy across the spectrum. I'm sure a good speaker amp would be much better. I can easily see someone preferring the HE-4 over the HE-6, they're just very different and both excel in different ways. How much did you manage to grab the Firstwatt for? They seem pretty favored amongst HE-6...
Naw, I haven't tried my HE-6 with a huge power amp. It only needs ~600mW to get to 105dB, so it makes sense that the Vali 2 and Ember have no issues getting to listening levels.   I do, however, have a Beta22 amp build on the way. Hopefully she'll be built and test ready by next spring 
Ember does just fine with the HE-6 (low gain, 12 o'clock). I just recently picked up a Vali 2 as well and, believe it or not, it has plenty of juice to get the HE-6 very loud (normal listening at 2:30 on high gain). (Cue speaker amp zealouts.)   For the HE-4/6, Ember has more treble and slightly better staging. Vali 2 is great though. I'm usually volume limited by treble fatigue, so the easier treble on the Vali 2 allows me to turn the bass and mids up a little louder....