Posts by AuxNuke

Great to hear!  I really like the more accurate bass the HE-500/560's have over the 598's along with the added detail and treble response.  All in all, a worthwhile upgrade!
Excellent, can't wait to hear your review!  Happy listening
I've heard the Philips Fidelio X2 recently that has a similar sound signature to the HD600/650's and HE-500's (minus the high frequency extension of the HE-500's).  They have a fun, laid back sound that is pleasant with many genres.  At 380g they are considerably lighter than the >500g HE-500's.  There's a pretty good discussion going here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/729413/philips-fidelio-x2-a-review-by-baycode 
If you're looking for a new DAC and possibly Amp in that price range, I'll throw in a recommendation towards an Audio-GD NFB-10.33  http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1033/NFB10.33EN.htm   It runs $580 (before shipping) and includes a dual Wolfson WM8741 DAC and an excellent high output amp.  Best of all, its fully balanced for any future upgrades you may consider.  Most Audio-GD DAC's products that I've heard are mostly neutral with a hint of warm musical...
To my ears, the HD 800 sure has the attributes for classical: huge sound-stage, precise imaging, and an overall neutral tone.  I personally prefer stats for classical due to the "airy" sound and fast decay however, many people consider the HD 800 one of the best for that genre.    Glad you're enjoying the Salk's.  Had a chance to hear a pair at a co-workers place in Michigan. 
Ruling out stats:  If rock is your mainstay, you might be best off with a punchy full range ortho, such as the Hifiman HE-500 or HE-560, as a good upgrade to the HD598.  I've heard both and they have the low end punch, dynamics, and speed for rock.  While detailed, they are not clinical like the HD 800's and shouldn't ruin you're enjoyment of older and possibly poorly recorded rock.  They are also one of the few headphones I'd throw into the "genre master" category in...
I too enjoy the warm Sennheiser "house sound" with many genres of music!   Before we give recommendations on a upgrade from the HD598's, can you give a little bit more information on your setup? What type of music do you listen to? What is your source?  Are you using the Audio by Van Alstine Vision which includes a DAC or do you have a separate source? I don't see any output specifications for the Audio by Van Alstine gear on their website.  Do you have this...
What kind of sound are you going for?  What kind of music do you listen to?    I find the AD900's to be a fairly neutral sounding headphone with an airy sound signature.  They may lack some bass punch but are decently extended. 
I felt exactly the same way about the K/Q70x phones.  I wasn't able to pinpoint exactly what caused the fatigue but, even at low volumes, there was something that didn't "sit well" with my ears.  It was almost like a resonance of the highs... as if the phones held onto a cymbal crash for a microsecond too long.  I tried different amps, DAC's, and even some minor EQ'ing but was never able to alleviate the issue.  A shame because I really enjoyed the wide soundstage! ...
The MA900 sounds like it would be something right up my alley; a warm sound signature with strong mids.  A question for you: how transparent are the MA900's?  One of the best qualities of the Sennheiser HD600/650's is their transparent sound... a "window into the music" sound signature that makes you forget that you're wearing phones and just enjoy the music.  Do the MA900's compete in this regard?  If so, they are an instant buy!