Posts by exsomnis

I prefer the stock settings and 8x oversampling. It seems that even though the option is there to go lower and NOS, the DSP doesn't quite work all that well with it. When I tried NOS, it sounded like I had a bad tube amp with really flabby/fuzzy bass, warm but not quite present mids and non-existent treble. Kingwa did say that a future DSP update will take NOS into account for his programmable DACs.It's the reason why he designed the NOS-19 too. That said, I am on the...
 I have an original version Fiio E17K that I still use with my gaming PC, in place of the on-board soundcard. I find it quite treble happy but for gaming purposes, it's good enough. As for music, I ditched it a long time back because the SQ just didn't cut it for me. It was replaced by an ODAC, which is a very competent DAC, despite being powered by the USB port and costing only $150.  In my case, the DAC-19 is heads and shoulders above the Fiio in terms of tonal accuracy,...
  Welcome back to the fold! I love my 2016 LCD 3Fs to bits but I still have fond memories of the original LCD3s too. LCDs used to be properly rolled off in the treble pre-fazor, which is the kind of sound that I prefer. They've become quite a bit more detailed and resolving with the fazors and I've grown accustomed to them - at least they're not sibilant like the HD800s or T1s. 
Interesting, looks like audiophile Linux distros are progressing nicely. How do you find running Tidal on it?
 I'm sure it'll just take a bit of time...I'd re-evaluate after at least 50 hours. Don't you remember how your DAC-19 was in the beginning? I know that mine was a bit treble happy but eventually toned down in the end. 
 Since my laptop music source was re-purposed for its role, that meant having to use pretty crappy USB ports that had degraded with use over time. Before this, I'd had quirky effects on the sound with my DAC-19, from popping to weird and intermittent changes in sound signature. With my current setup, all is good - ASIO Bridge software (redirects any sound from Windows to the Amanero ASIO driver at the right bitrate and bypasses any potential oversampling by Windows - this...
Between bad DAC implementations and good DAC implementations there is a huge difference. But between DACs that are competent enough, the differences are subtle and are dependent on your ability to detect them. Some people will be able to reliably discern the differences and some won't. On the other hand, there is the point of view that all well implemented DACs sound the same, despite the differing methods of translating digital streams to analog audio. That comparisons...
 It's not that much of a warp, probably just enough that it matters - there's not much clearance between the fluxor and the diaphragm film. If the inner grill was pressed inwards enough, they would touch I think.
 That would result in less noise and less THD. So theoretically what you get is more clarity and detail, where it would have been glossed over with more noise and more THD.  The degree to which this is different from the Ares to the S19 to the DAC19? That would be minute and undetectable to some people but for golden eared folks, a distinguishable difference might be apparent. 
 It's the pressure of your ears on the drivers when the headband is extended almost to max and if your head is large (like mine is). When that happens, I assume that it presses on or warps the driver surface and causes a protection circuit to stop the signal. The workaround is then to fit it just so and then stay still or - replace the earpads with something stiffer or thicker so that your ears don't ever touch the drivers.