Posts by FlatListener

I'm interested. How greatly will it improve and how much use (how many hours) will that improvement take? Would it help to simply plug it in mains (charge it continuously) and let it play with repeat on for a couple of days?
Thank you, that is nice to know
Took delivery of X3 and X5. Unboxed X3 first, then X5. First impressions: Setup: Bare X3 and X5 with BeyerDynamic DT-1350s.Typical volume levels between 30 and 45. Anything louder than that will harm my ears. Played up to 70 for a short period for the hell of it though. X3: FW3.2Good: Very light weight unit, very good SQ. Actually unbelievable spatialness in the sound. So much better than iPhone4s HPO. iPhone4s sounds a bit unpersonal, distant, with harsh lows, as if it...
Since you mentioned "problems" I started looking for reviews outside head-fi. Boy there is a sh#tload to find that puts down the X5, no mercy. On Amazon there is this guy "caveatcomprador" who reports major problems concerning software, operation, battery charging and more. Coming from 5 years of using an iPod Classic, i am used to a great user interface and zero problems, instant button response and still reasonable SQ, esp when amped. So I was thinking: Will the FiiO...
Thank you! Actually I never tried IEMs because I figured no good sound could come from something that small. Also, it scares me a bit for my hearing damage. But these may well be nonsense arguments coming from ignorance. If you say I should look into it, I will do so.
Hi Frank,Yes that is correct I hardly ever listen to my headphones from a computer source. But when I did occasionally, I noticed that the sound quality coming from my Macbook is better than from my bare iPod Classic or iPhone4s. So that is why I got the E12 Mont Blanc to use with my iPod Classic. But the E12 is a lot of size and weight to carry around while on a train or walking around. I like the player to be in my chest pocket for quick access. Not comfortable with the...
Thanks for sharing that, I'll have 2 major operations in the next year so I'll be listening to music a lot in hospitals, meaning I want a small rig with a sound that is not fatiguing for the ears. After recovery, I want a small rig to play while on the commuter train.You say you would buy the X5 again in a minute, because you get good sound without the need for an extra amp. But apparently the X3 offers that too. So why choose the X5 over the X3? There's a 200 Euro price...
Dear relic and loquah, Thank you so much for your input. Based on your help I will order both the X3 and X5, try and compare them and then decide and send the other one back. My reseller in the Netherlands has a 365 days - no questions - return policy. I'll post the results here.
Hi Frank,Forgive me for being slightly confused now. From your 1-2-3 post I understood that option 3 has the best SQ, but from this latest post of yours I conclude that it is not practical to load those HiRes files on a portable device due to to file size constraints. I should mention that I will use my sound playing device only in a portable manner. This would mean I will be restricted to a maximum quality of 16bit 44,1kHz files.Just to be sure I understood correctly,...
Hi Frank, thanks for your advice! I checked my library. Apple Lossless files are 44.1 kHz, 16bit. 320 kbps mp3's are 44.1 kHz. Of all Apple lossless files I still have kept the FLAC version. I converted from FLAC to Apple Lossless using MAX (I'm a Mac user). Hi Frank, thanks for your advice! I checked my library. Apple Lossless files are 44.1 kHz, 16bit. 320 kbps mp3's are 44.1 kHz. Of all Apple lossless files I still have kept the CD's and/or FLAC version. I converted...